Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2023, 10:45 PM   #6881
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Still have 38 minutes left as I passed out last night, but yeah it's pretty great. What a cast! It's hard finding someone who isn't a recognized name (or became one). And it's something most of you I'm sure knew 15 years ago, but the super long bank heist mission in GTA IV is clearly based on the HEAT bank heist.
Heat is great, but should have ended sooner
Old 08-12-2023, 12:05 AM   #6882
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Just watched the latest Mission Impossible before it limps out of theaters. Felt too long. It was right in the wheelhouse for what you expect from an MI movie otherwise. I will check out the conclusion, as I imagine that will be the last one of the current iteration with Cruise et al.
Every movie is too long these days. How did we end up with 2 hours and 45 mins Mission Impossible and John Wick movies? Same with last James Bond. Fast and Furious almost 2.5 hours, same with Indiana Jones.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:15 AM   #6883
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Every movie is too long these days. How did we end up with 2 hours and 45 mins Mission Impossible and John Wick movies? Same with last James Bond. Fast and Furious almost 2.5 hours, same with Indiana Jones.
It depends on the movie.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:51 AM   #6884
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's certainly nothing new. The 10 longest Hollywood films of all time: https://entertainment.howstuffworks....ood-movies.htm

3 released since the year 2000 (and I wouldn't even count the Snyder Cut since it didn't get a theatrical release). 5 released before 1970.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:54 AM   #6885
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That's certainly nothing new. The 10 longest Hollywood films of all time: https://entertainment.howstuffworks....ood-movies.htm

3 released since the year 2000 (and I wouldn't even count the Snyder Cut since it didn't get a theatrical release). 5 released before 1970.
There is a movie called Paint Drying , that's 10hrs long and is just literally a camera set up watching paint drying. Why would someone make this you ask? Because they wanted to protest the ratings board (ratings like G or PG or R), and since the people that rate movies have to watch every movie they give a rating to, they were forced to watch all 10 hrs
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 08:55 AM   #6886
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
There is a movie called Paint Drying , that's 10hrs long and is just literally a camera set up watching paint drying. Why would someone make this you ask? Because they wanted to protest the ratings board (ratings like G or PG or R), and since the people that rate movies have to watch every movie they give a rating to, they were forced to watch all 10 hrs
I hope the director slipped in a dick shot just to make sure
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 09:09 AM   #6887
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Just rewatched The Good, the Bad and the Ugly at 2:58.....not a short movie! Lawrence of Arabia was so long they had an intermission in it when shown in theatres (immediately after the lengthy "trip through the Sahara" scenes...and everyone rushed to the counters for drinks!).

Always thought that too many movies are too long and needed cutting, but editor/director/producer/actor egos wouldn't allow for a better and more tightly-packed storyline.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:23 PM   #6888
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Just rewatched The Good, the Bad and the Ugly at 2:58.....not a short movie! Lawrence of Arabia was so long they had an intermission in it when shown in theatres (immediately after the lengthy "trip through the Sahara" scenes...and everyone rushed to the counters for drinks!).

Always thought that too many movies are too long and needed cutting, but editor/director/producer/actor egos wouldn't allow for a better and more tightly-packed storyline.
for whatever reason 12 year old Looooob saw Gandhi in the theatre twice, and this article more or less confirms it was essentially the last of the major releases with a baked in intermission- I definitely remember needing it!

https://medium.com/the-outtake/what-...n-45afcda475ae
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 01:47 PM   #6889
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
for whatever reason 12 year old Looooob saw Gandhi in the theatre twice, and this article more or less confirms it was essentially the last of the major releases with a baked in intermission- I definitely remember needing it!

https://medium.com/the-outtake/what-...n-45afcda475ae
I always tell this story but some buddies and I went to go and see "The Green Mile" when it came out and about 10 minutes in my friend says he has to go to the bathroom, but he thinks he can 'hold it' for the rest of the movie.

Narrator: "He could not."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 07:23 PM   #6890
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forget intermissions, bring back overtures and Entr'acte
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 10:27 PM   #6891
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I always tell this story but some buddies and I went to go and see "The Green Mile" when it came out and about 10 minutes in my friend says he has to go to the bathroom, but he thinks he can 'hold it' for the rest of the movie.

Narrator: "He could not."
Wait - he pissed himself?

Or he went to the restroom after announcing he thought he could hold it?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2023, 10:14 AM   #6892
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found a hidden gem in the 1987 thriller The Caller. The movie has only two people in it (Malcolm McDowell and Madolyn Smith) with a great premise and one of the best endings, up there with the Sixth Sense. The movie is about this women who lives alone in the woods and one night a strange man rings her door and asks to use her phone. What follows is a game of cat and mouse and the audience is trying to guess who to believe and what's going on because it seems like something is off with both characters.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:25 AM   #6893
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
There is a an excellent doc on the crooked as hell MPAA called this film is not yet rated. It’s about 15 years old now so it’s maybe a bit dated but is really interesting.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2023, 10:12 PM   #6894
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Watched Contact tonight and really liked it. I definitely would have benefited from watching it earlier in my life. I could mostly suspend my experience of watching visual achievements in the 25 years since Contact came out and I enjoyed the lead roles, and even enjoyed the more raw/less polished nature of star acting back then.

But what got me is how far secondary acting has come, the secondary actors and extras were just comically bad. That dude that played the Jesus guy on the side of the road and then ended up being the terrorist on the first mission. Like wow. In 2023 you could go to the Calgary Film Centre and they'd get you a better actor than that in 24 hours. Like he was so bad that it almost seemed like he was playing a caricature of a villain.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:13 PM   #6895
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

How dare you sully Jake Busey’s good name. To his credit he plays crazy pretty well I think. Must have got it from his dad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2023, 10:15 PM   #6896
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oh that was a real actor?! Wow, that's even worse. He was awful on every level, like someone was learning to act on set by overacting. "Make your eyes and mouth really BIIIGG when you're shouting and reacting to things said to you!".

Just stunningly bad to the point that I was taken out of the movie every time he was on screen.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:16 PM   #6897
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Saw Oppenheimer. I really liked it. Dragged a bit in the first hour. After that I was fully engrossed. I’m glad Nolan decided not to make another mind bending movie. Even if he is obsessed with inter-splicing timelines. Cilian Murphy will get a best actor nom I think. Maybe even a shiny gold statue.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:17 PM   #6898
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oh that was a real actor?! Wow, that's even worse. He was awful on every level, like someone was learning to act on set by overacting. "Make your eyes and mouth really BIIIGG when you're shouting and reacting to things said to you!".
He played a crazy wacky guy in starship troopers too. Well, slightly less crazy than contact.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:36 PM   #6899
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
He played a crazy wacky guy in starship troopers too. Well, slightly less crazy than contact.
His one episode appearance on Justified is very memorable.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:46 PM   #6900
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol! Contact....

A buddy (who is actually on CP) and I took 'Scopes for Dopes' in University and thats all I can think about when I watch Contact. We had a Professor that would take entire lectures to show us photos of him and his wife visiting telescopes around the world.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: