Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2023, 11:51 PM   #6781
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm having enough fun with D4 (and D3 before it) that I decided to give D2: Resurrected a try since it's on sale, but holy hell that game hasn't aged well even with the new coat of paint. The stamina bar and the mountain of potions you need to have (in your tiny inventory) made the game enough of a slog. But when I got to Tristram, died, and saw all of my gear was gone I noped out and got a refund. Nobody has time for that ####
...I actually like the slower pace, and probably prefer it to Diablo 4 and 3.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:04 PM   #6782
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

70 to 100 is a bit of a wasteland in D4. Guess just wait for Seasons now and hopefully they fix the the broken and useless resistances and suppressors at some point.

Other games to play.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 02:30 PM   #6783
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I've done TLOU 1 & 2 through a few times, enjoyed both immensely. Tried a few other games but we've discovered I'm not great at, nor really enjoy, open world games. Apparently, I'm much more linear like the TLOUs, lol.

Can anyone recommend any games for the PS4, that might meet that criteria? I also need games with some accessibility - at the very least, the option to swap analog sticks - my brain will *not* function with the usual set-up.

Any ideas? I'd like to buy a couple. None of the other games my daughter has, have grabbed my attention or worked for me, although I have made a lot of effort at trying them. She has mostly open world and/or FPS or both and none of the FPS games she has allow the swapping of the sticks.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 02:32 PM   #6784
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Uncharted series was made by the same studio that did Last of Us and has similar game mechanics.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #6785
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The Uncharted series was made by the same studio that did Last of Us and has similar game mechanics.
I'm a big fan of TLOU, but could never get into Uncharted. The platforming felt clunky and I hated the combat. I found the new Tomb Raider trilogy much more fun, and thanks to it's stealth and crafting system actually plays a lot more similar to TLOU than Uncharted does
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 02:55 PM   #6786
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is very linear and was pretty fun, though I can't comment on the control remapping ability as I played on PC.

EDIT: Also 2nd the Tomb Raider recommendation, great games.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 03:12 PM   #6787
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, personally, I liked the new Tomb Raiders better than Uncharted, but I also prefer open worlds and Tomb Raider is more open world than Uncharted, even though it is still on-the-rails a lot of the time.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:21 PM   #6788
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the Steam Sale just dropped and... I'm kind of underwhelmed. Basically everything in my wishlist is on sale but most of it is like 20%, 25%... I was hoping for more. I don't recall there ever being a situation where they did a second round of discounts later in the week because then people would just wait for that.

P5 Royal at 40% off maybe worth picking up. I dunno.

EDIT: Although the Steam Deck is on sale so that's worth it, for those who don't already have one.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 03:42 PM   #6789
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Can anyone recommend any games for the PS4, that might meet that criteria? I also need games with some accessibility - at the very least, the option to swap analog sticks - my brain will *not* function with the usual set-up.

Any ideas? I'd like to buy a couple.
You should try Journey. It's a shorter game but a wonderful experience. It's pretty linear too.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 03:48 PM   #6790
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sales tax has pretty much killed me buying directly from Steam unless the only way I can buy the Steam version is from Steam itself.

I buy most of my games from Fanatical which doesn't charge any and with the 5% coupons ends up being even more cheaper than on Steam in alot of cases.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:51 PM   #6791
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
You should try Journey. It's a shorter game but a wonderful experience. It's pretty linear too.
Friend got the first Grammy nomination from a video game for that soundtrack. Quite the experience for sure.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:55 PM   #6792
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
So, I've done TLOU 1 & 2 through a few times, enjoyed both immensely. Tried a few other games but we've discovered I'm not great at, nor really enjoy, open world games. Apparently, I'm much more linear like the TLOUs, lol.

Any ideas? I'd like to buy a couple. None of the other games my daughter has, have grabbed my attention or worked for me, although I have made a lot of effort at trying them. She has mostly open world and/or FPS or both and none of the FPS games she has allow the swapping of the sticks.
You want to use the right analogue stick to move the character in a third person game? How did that happen? Lol.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 04:21 PM   #6793
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steam does weird things sometimes. For example, I want Octopath Traveler II (I haven't played the first one but by all accounts it's mediocre and you can just start with II which also by all accounts is amazing). It's on sale for 59.99. It's also part of a bundle with a port of an iPhone game called "Various Daylife", for 55.63. So obviously the smart thing to do is buy the bundle, I guess, but I don't even want the second game. It's just weird.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 04:31 PM   #6794
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Steam does weird things sometimes. For example, I want Octopath Traveler II (I haven't played the first one but by all accounts it's mediocre and you can just start with II which also by all accounts is amazing). It's on sale for 59.99. It's also part of a bundle with a port of an iPhone game called "Various Daylife", for 55.63. So obviously the smart thing to do is buy the bundle, I guess, but I don't even want the second game. It's just weird.
I have it on my wishlist and got a notification that it was 53% off, and I was intrigued, but that was the bundle. The game alone is 25% off, which isn't enough for me to buy it. It's like a bait and switch. Weird indeed.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 05:03 PM   #6795
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
You want to use the right analogue stick to move the character in a third person game? How did that happen? Lol.

Username does not check out.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:36 AM   #6796
Toast_Man
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is very linear and was pretty fun, though I can't comment on the control remapping ability as I played on PC.

EDIT: Also 2nd the Tomb Raider recommendation, great games.
I second GotG and the Tomb Raider Trilogy, such fun games, especially Guardians.
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 02:22 PM   #6797
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can pick one gaming platform and 2 games - fantasy (Skyrim or something similar as a reference) and a SciFi adventure kind of game. Which platforms and games are you choosing?
Old 07-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #6798
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
You can pick one gaming platform and 2 games - fantasy (Skyrim or something similar as a reference) and a SciFi adventure kind of game. Which platforms and games are you choosing?
PS4 with The Witcher 3 Complete and Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Be busy for a while.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2023, 06:57 PM   #6799
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
PS4 with The Witcher 3 Complete and Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Be busy for a while.
Two stellar choices. Witcher 3 was just my favourite but ME episode 1 and 3 were great runs.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #6800
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Gaming Platform
PCSX2 emulator on PC

The original PS2 is a little bit too low-res for my eyes, but its library is still incredible. Seeing those games brought back to life in 4K is always nice.

Fantasy Game
Tales of the Abyss with Undub Patch

The worldbuilding, the writing, characters, poignancy, and just overall being fun to play, this is my favorite game ever. The few things that haven't aged the best are still fine to me. Everything else is impeccable.

Sci-Fi Game
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty with Substance of Subsistence mod

It's incredible how this game's themes somehow flew over all our heads when it actually came out, but twenty+ years later its themes are arguably more relevant than ever... that is the core of what sci fi means to me. What a masterpiece.

My #1 and #3 games of all time so easy choice, although emulator jank is unideal, neither of those games is more definitive on a modern platform.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-02-2023 at 08:02 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: