Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #661
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Actually you can on the current Motorola boxes, it's automatically done when the guide loads up based on your subscription info on those ones. Problem is you won't get that if you are on the older boxes.
My parents have the DCX3400 500GB box. Is that considered old?
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #662
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
My parents have the DCX3400 500GB box. Is that considered old?
Those are a previous generation ago. DCX3510s and DCX3200s are the only ones at this time that are supported for personalized channel list and HD channel override.

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-29-2013 at 09:54 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #663
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Shaw used to have an option where you could choose Movie Central on the VOD function and pick from movies currently playing on those channels. I can't find it now. Does anyone know if they did away with this or did it go somewhere impossible to find? If it's gone, it's another nail in the coffin food me using this poor excuse for a company.
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #664
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Would you rather it be poorer quality but less of a delay?
I think he'd prefer high quality with no delay, but I'm just guessing here.

Ok - hypothetical scenario. The Flames are in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals (I said *hypothetical*, and I meant it!) against the Leafs, it goes to overtime, and you're watching on your Telus feed. Suddenly, the whole neighborhood erupts with cheering, and then 10 seconds later you see Stajan put a rebound into the net. Would you feel like you just got a shot to the berries/###ajay? I think I would.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #665
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just switched to Shaw from telus and I really don't like the Shaw box much. I like how it only displays channels you have though. Quality seems better as well but it's an annoying interface
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #666
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgator View Post
Shaw used to have an option where you could choose Movie Central on the VOD function and pick from movies currently playing on those channels. I can't find it now. Does anyone know if they did away with this or did it go somewhere impossible to find? If it's gone, it's another nail in the coffin food me using this poor excuse for a company.
In the VOD menu, go to Subscriptions
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #667
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Ok - hypothetical scenario. The Flames are in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals (I said *hypothetical*, and I meant it!) against the Leafs, it goes to overtime, and you're watching on your Telus feed. Suddenly, the whole neighborhood erupts with cheering, and then 10 seconds later you see Stajan put a rebound into the net. Would you feel like you just got a shot to the berries/###ajay? I think I would.
Yes, as much as I would love to see the Flames win the cup, I agree that it would feel like a shot to the berries knowing that I would have to spend the entire summer giving thanks to Stajan for putting in the game winner.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #668
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Those are a previous generation ago. DCX3510s and DCX3200s are the only ones at this time that are supported for personalized channel list and HD channel override.
And the Gateway....
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #669
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Is there any other choices for TV in Calgary other than Shaw and Telus?
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #670
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Shaw Direct satellite, and Bell satellite.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #671
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone go from Shaw to Telus recently rate the internet/wifi experience?
Old 05-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #672
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Anyone go from Shaw to Telus recently rate the internet/wifi experience?
I can rate the internet, not the wifi as I disable wifi and use my own wifi router.

I went from Shaw (the old 100+, grandfathered into the Internet 120) to Telus 100. It's about the same price after the incentives run out. On Shaw, I consistently got 120-125 non-peak, and 80-110 at peak times. Shaw also gave 750GB of data.

On Telus I signed up for the unlimited data for $15/month and got the new modem which allowed bridge mode. On Telus I get consistent 95-98MBps all the time. And upload speeds of 20mbps which is extraordinary. Allows me to access my computers on the road and do real work/entertainment. I recommend Telus, but Shaw was not a poor performer excpet during peak hours (evenings and weekends)
Old 05-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #673
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've lived in about 5 different areas, and I feel (not very scientific I know) it hugely depends on your wiring and how old it is. Newer communities, I hardly notice a difference between shaw and telus. The really old areas, I feel Shaw is vastly superior, especially with their PVR's. I think with Telus I could only do a max of 2 recordings, something to do with not enough lines so that was all that was possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #674
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
I've lived in about 5 different areas, and I feel (not very scientific I know) it hugely depends on your wiring and how old it is. Newer communities, I hardly notice a difference between shaw and telus. The really old areas, I feel Shaw is vastly superior, especially with their PVR's. I think with Telus I could only do a max of 2 recordings, something to do with not enough lines so that was all that was possible.
Assuming you were getting Telus 25, it's not the lines that are limiting your recordings, it's your PVR. If it's only 15, then that's a different story.

I just switched to Telus and i'm in an older area. All they do is "bond" the two phone lines that go into your house to achieve 25. I have the max two recordings, but that is purely the PVR limitations. It is a step up from the old Shaw box though as I had to be watching one of the two shows I was recording where the Telus box I can be watching something else while 2 are recording.

As for Cral12's question:
I've found Telus to be more consistent with speeds.
As for Wifi, same as oilyfan I disable it on the modem/router (did it with Shaw too). If it was dual band, I would give it a shot, but the modem they use is a neutered version so you only get 2.4GHz.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #675
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Assuming you were getting Telus 25, it's not the lines that are limiting your recordings, it's your PVR. If it's only 15, then that's a different story.

I just switched to Telus and i'm in an older area. All they do is "bond" the two phone lines that go into your house to achieve 25. I have the max two recordings, but that is purely the PVR limitations. It is a step up from the old Shaw box though as I had to be watching one of the two shows I was recording where the Telus box I can be watching something else while 2 are recording.

As for Cral12's question:
I've found Telus to be more consistent with speeds.
As for Wifi, same as oilyfan I disable it on the modem/router (did it with Shaw too). If it was dual band, I would give it a shot, but the modem they use is a neutered version so you only get 2.4GHz.
This was a long time ago in a condo. I have the shaw gateway now and I can do I think up to 5 or 6 shows recorded. It's overkill, but it is handy when your wife records 4 shows and you want to watch the hockey game.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #676
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks all - so basically no matter the internet provider, looks like you have to have your own router in order to get adequate Wifi, correct?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #677
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks all - so basically no matter the internet provider, looks like you have to have your own router in order to get adequate Wifi, correct?
For sure.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #678
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think if you are in a small house/apartment or don't have a lot of wireless devices then the ISP modem will be adequate. Anything else I recommend putting the modem in bridge mode and using your own router.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #679
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

A question. If you get a Shaw router and put it in bridge mode, can you still use the Shaw router as a wired connection and if so does it still provide a firewall?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #680
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as I know, no. If you add a second IP, you can plug in and use it as a switch to connect your second network to, but that is about it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: