Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #6581
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Picked up a new single speed for ripping around the neighbourhood. The Uncommons in Inglewood is renovating so everything in the store is 50% off. Including bikes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #6582
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much did that run you? brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Picked up a new single speed for ripping around the neighbourhood. The Uncommons in Inglewood is renovating so everything in the store is 50% off. Including bikes.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #6583
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
How much did that run you? brand?
$250. State Bicycle Co.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #6584
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Has anyone bought from or heard about https://www.merlincycles.com? I can get the Shimano Dura Ace groupset for $1,700, which is $100-200 less than anywhere else online.
Yeah for that amount I'd go with Jenson. Wiggle, ChainReaction, Merlin, you're gonna get dinged pretty good for duty on that amount.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #6585
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

i wanna see you wheelie on that thing KTrain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #6586
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
Yeah for that amount I'd go with Jenson. Wiggle, ChainReaction, Merlin, you're gonna get dinged pretty good for duty on that amount.
Are you sure? Although a complete bike has a tariff rate of 13%, these are just bike parts. Assembled bike wheels are 6.5% and frames and forks are 5%. I'm not having any of these. Brakes and cranks are specifically listed as 0% duty. Anything not listed in section 8714.XX.XX goes into 8714.99.90 which is other bike parts at 0%. This would be the chain, cassette, shifters, and derailleurs. I'd still pay 7% PST (BC based), but I really can't see how tariffs would be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point

Last edited by squiggs96; 03-15-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #6587
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the good news is it stopped snowing, and isn't all that deep. The bad news it is slippery. I'd tell you to watch out for the black ice under the snow, but you can't see it. I managed to keep it upright all the way home, though it took me 40 minutes(usual winter pace is 25).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #6588
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Are you sure? Although a complete bike has a tariff rate of 13%, these are just bike parts. Assembled bike wheels are 6.5% and frames and forks are 5%. I'm not having any of these. Brakes and cranks are specifically listed as 0% duty. Anything not listed in section 8714.XX.XX goes into 8714.99.90 which is other bike parts at 0%. This would be the chain, cassette, shifters, and derailleurs. I'd still pay 5% PST (BC based), but I really can't see how tariffs would be added.
I can say with 100% certainty that from both Wiggle and Chain Reaction I have been dinged on bike parts. I ordered my di2 upgrade from both and got dinged both times (I spread the parts around because of price at each)

It also depends if they inspect the package as well, but I'd hazard a guess that for a declared value of $1700, they'd look at it.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #6589
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
I can say with 100% certainty that from both Wiggle and Chain Reaction I have been dinged on bike parts. I ordered my di2 upgrade from both and got dinged both times (I spread the parts around because of price at each)

It also depends if they inspect the package as well, but I'd hazard a guess that for a declared value of $1700, they'd look at it.
That's disappointing to hear. The CBSA is not quick on issuing refunds either. I've filed two requests with them, and both took way longer than necessary. The first was some stuff from probikekit, where I was invoiced and charged in CAD. Canada Post took that number as the GBP number and converted it into CAD. My inlaws accepted the package, so I had to fill out the form for the difference. I also had some headphones that were bought for $180 USD. Canada Post said it was $300 USD, and charged me GST and PST on that amount. I sent in the form, with proof, and exactly 3 months later I received my refund. That's way too long for a simple refund.

I was looking on the jenson site. They don't have a groupset already put together, and if I piece it together myself it's $2,160 before taxes. I see that it's the landed price, but that's still over $450 more than merlin. I'm going to investigate further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 03-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #6590
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That wasn’t half bad. Fox Hollow hill is a mess but a plow already did a pass on Nose Creek. So pretty smooth sailing to Memorial. Was covered after that and then cleared again at St. Pats island and East Village to Eau Claire.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #6591
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

how did it take me 20 minutes more than you like an hour later?
Old 03-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #6592
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You stayed on the north side of the Bow, was it cleared? South side was so I made good time.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #6593
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have ordered three times from chain reaction, and all three times I have been hit with duties or other charges that wrecked the “deal”,and made it a break even or slightly more than I could have bought the stuff for here in Canada at MEC.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #6594
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost an hour and a half ride home yesterday. Said hi to Bigtime on St Patrick's Island, then slogged it around the zoo. It was plowed up to McKnight, then it was slog time again.

I was putting out so much energy getting up the last hill it felt like my ears were bleeding. So much snow stuck in my fenders that it was flying out the sides and hitting me in the back. Crazy. Almost crashes a few times on black ice, finally spun out one house from mine. I'm taking the day off today.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #6595
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

My ride was way easier compared to Hab's, so I went for it again this morning. Bow river pathway cleared from Prince's island to the zoo. Nose creek from Memorial north had about 3cm since the plow went through yesterday afternoon. I went to attempt Fox Hollow hill but it hadn't been touched, so I kept going north on Nose creek and went across at 32nd avenue and backtracked to the ped bridge by the Calgary Sun. 53 minutes this morning.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #6596
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well done bigtime!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #6597
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Well done bigtime!
Are you going for it? I've submitted 311 requests for Nose creek, Fox Hollow hill, and the connector paths east of Deerfoot.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #6598
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not my worst ride of the year, but top 5. None of my paths were plowed, and the side streets were packed down, but not firm so it was squirly all over. Ended up taknig it easy on sidewalks when I could.

Kinda done with this! I had talked to the boss yesterday and he said it was fine to work from home if it snowed a lot. I felt it wasn't quite enough to justify it, so here I am.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #6599
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Are you going for it? I've submitted 311 requests for Nose creek, Fox Hollow hill, and the connector paths east of Deerfoot.
I'm at work for half a day and then I have somewhere to be in the afternoon and again at 6:30 so I have some driving to do unfortunately. I really wanted to because i'm not sure I have done a 5 day bike commute this year yet. Always one day i'm working downtown or have an appointment or something.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #6600
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
$250. State Bicycle Co.
Beauty, Ktrain!

Did they have any more?!