Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #641
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

dont change space mountain. just build something else thats awesome.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #642
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emperor Palpatine is rumored to return in the new Star Wars movie
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/1...rs-episode-vii
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #643
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Emperor Palpatine is rumored to return in the new Star Wars movie
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/1...rs-episode-vii
CaptainCrunch's reaction

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #644
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

geez, it's called Star Wars, not Palpatine Wars. give poor McDiarmid a break, he's almost 70 years old. by the last movie he'll end up like Christopher Lee in the Hobbit, a talking skeleton that doesn't know where he is or why he's dressed up in these weird outfits.

dragging Khan out for another round didn't work so well, now did it...a guy that was originally a bare chested Mexican became a british guy with a creepy deep voice. the only way then that I'll accept a new Palpatine is if they go the other direction, from british actor back to a Mexican with 80's rock hair.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #645
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Several news sources are reporting that Disney will be re-vamping many rides to be star wars theme based. I.e. space mountain. Obviously to tie into the movie and drive theme based attendance.
It is rumored they are making a Star Wars Park for 2018, don't think they are touching any of the existing parks.

Edit: Although since they are likely building the new park in DisneyWorld, they may just update some rides in DisneyLand to have a Star Wars theme.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-15-2013 at 09:34 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #646
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
geez, it's called Star Wars, not Palpatine Wars. give poor McDiarmid a break, he's almost 70 years old. by the last movie he'll end up like Christopher Lee in the Hobbit, a talking skeleton that doesn't know where he is or why he's dressed up in these weird outfits.

dragging Khan out for another round didn't work so well, now did it...a guy that was originally a bare chested Mexican became a british guy with a creepy deep voice. the only way then that I'll accept a new Palpatine is if they go the other direction, from british actor back to a Mexican with 80's rock hair.
Out of all of the characters in Star Wars and especially the prequel Palpatine was the one that they really got right.

I really liked his rise to power, he wasn't as much a warrior as a supreme manipulator. He creates a crisis on his home world that generates sympathy in the Senate. He manipulates his own queen into deposing the standing administration. He holds control over the Senate and Courts which no one realizes and he hides it behind this kindly grandfather, I love democracy thing.

He manages to bring a powerful senior Jedi in Dooku to his cause, starts a war that he's controlling on both sides while secretly building and funding a army that he can use later to control the galaxy. He seducing Jar Jar Binks into giving him utter control of the galaxy, while all the time thinning the ranks of his greatest enemy and spreading them across the galaxy to fight a war along side the very troops that are going to execute them.

He does all of that while not tipping off the very powerful Jedi Council. then he takes 15 years to learn the weak points of the most powerful Jedi of all time and slowly gets his hooks into him, then basically throws a fight with a Jedi Council member because he knows that he's manipulated his soon to be apprentice enough to know that one small show of hypocrisy by a Jedi will tip him over the edge. Then he kicks the crap out of an arrogant head of the Jedi Master.

At the end he had total control over the galaxy, his enemies were either dead or running for their lives, and the greatest threat to his rule was at his side and crippled to the point that he wasn't a challenge.

That is a great villian.

I tend to think and look at the downfall of the Sith and Palpatine as falling to the same thing that took down the Jedi. He got arrogant, he believed that he was unbeatable and on top of that while the force had blinded the Jedi (Your arrogance blinds you Master Jedi), all that he had forseen hadn't come true.

But at the end of the day he was dead, probably annihilated when he hit that reactor. Anakin Skywalker had brought balance to the force not only by killing the most powerful Sith the galaxy had seen since the Sith Emperor, but by dying himself.

For a long time everyone thought balance to the force was dark side and light side in harmony. At the end of the day balance to the force meant no dark side and very little light side people using it and controlling events and allowing the force to just let things happen.

Bringing back Palpatine would be lazy writing. Seeing him walking around in a blue glowy ghost thing would be stupid unless he spent his eternity continually haunt torturing Jar Jar Binks.

Palpatine Ghost - "Hey Jar Jar, thanks for giving me emergency powers . . . I couldn't have taken over the galaxy, had your best friend killed and murdered the Jedi without you buddy"

Jar Jar -"oh moey moey"

Palpatine Ghost - "You know what world was like Naboo? Alderaan, yup, great scenary, really good people, fantastic planet, but thanks to you basically making me emperor, yeah Alderaan chunks everywhere"

Its a galaxy far far away a galaxy with probably trillions of life forms, there's got to be something original out there.

Like I said, bring him back in a cameo as a holocron trying to corrupt Jedi with his version of the truth. But no fricken ghosts.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #647
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post

I thought it was silly to bring Khan back, RM was perfect for that role, he was absolutely awesome in Space Seed, and really unbelievable in Wraith of Khan.

Everyone was automatically going to compare old Khan to new khan. And while his performance was as good as can be expected he was new coke compared to real coke.

Its rare that a rebooted character works if the original is incredibly strong.

I loved Jack's Joker from the original Batman movie. When they named Heath Ledger as the joker, I thought no way can he meet that first Joker. But he made it different and far surpassed it.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #648
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Captain, you know they're gonna try to cram Mara Jade in the movie somehow. It's an excuse for a hot redhead in a movie...who can say no to that?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #649
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Captain, you know they're gonna try to cram Mara Jade in the movie somehow. It's an excuse for a hot redhead in a movie...who can say no to that?
Cause she was fracking awful in the EU.

I always have this image in my mind of her reporting to the Emperor and being declared as the Emperors hand.

Emperor Palpatine - "I now name you the Emperors hand, now Rise"

Mara Jada - "Thanks Mr Palpyteen, does that mean, I'm like your spy and going around the galaxy killaxing people in your name and stuff"

Emperor - "No you're the Emperors hand, you get to work with the Emperors butt and the Emperors Vagina over there with the other hot chicks"

Points over to a group of hot red heads in miniskirts

Mara Jade - "Oh"

Palpatine - "And when I said rise, that was kinda a hint you know, like I was talking about my penis"

Tune in for next weeks episode "Shower unlimited shower"

Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #650
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Out of all of the characters in Star Wars and especially the prequel Palpatine was the one that they really got right.
I think you're pretty bang on except I thought they did a really good job with Obi Wan as well.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #651
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The article hints to that:

Quote:
But that's not all. According to LR, Palpatine had a new Sith apprentice in the works before he bought the (moisture) farm in Episode VI. So presumably this person will be one of the new villains of the film, if not the villain of the film, working with Ghost Palpatine.
ughhhh

Also, Darth Plagueis is a fantastic read on on the rise of Palpatine.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #652
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
The article hints to that:

ughhhh

Also, Darth Plagueis is a fantastic read on on the rise of Palpatine.
Plagueis was a really strong book, all of the Sith Lord books (the bane series, and Plagueis) were the best books in the EU and gave a really strong foundation to the Sith Philosophy and the rule of two and why it happened.

I'm really oppossed to the direction that they're going villian wise. Not because I don't want to see Palpatine again. But having him as a force ghost advising another Sith goes against everything in the original trilogy and the classic movies.

Becoming one with the force comes from a selfless act and a sacrifice and a willingness to let go of live.

Sith don't do anything like that.

And going against the Canon rule of two is a complete fan boy thing to make up for hackneyed and unoriginal ideas.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #653
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One of the best star wars writers out there who wrote a bunch of the Mass Effect Universe was available in Drew Karpyshn instead we're getting what sounds like lazy fan fictioning.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #654
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

BTW on the above recreation I was going to have Vader come into the room a declare that the 501st Stormtroopers would now become Vader's Fist and have Palpatine burst into laughter.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #655
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Plagueis was a really strong book, all of the Sith Lord books (the bane series, and Plagueis) were the best books in the EU and gave a really strong foundation to the Sith Philosophy and the rule of two and why it happened.

I'm really oppossed to the direction that they're going villian wise. Not because I don't want to see Palpatine again. But having him as a force ghost advising another Sith goes against everything in the original trilogy and the classic movies.

Becoming one with the force comes from a selfless act and a sacrifice and a willingness to let go of live.

Sith don't do anything like that.

And going against the Canon rule of two is a complete fan boy thing to make up for hackneyed and unoriginal ideas.
Just finished the Bane series over the weekend, it was very well done.
One of the big complaints about Mass Effect 3 was the horrible writing since Drew left half way through ME2 to work on SWTOR.

As for the "Force Ghosts" Bane was being tormented by Kaan and Qordis if I'm not mistaken, but they didn't really explain if it was "ghosts" or just a figment of his imagaination due to the thought bomb.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #656
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
One of the big complaints about Mass Effect 3 was the horrible writing since Drew left half way through ME2 to work on SWTOR.

As for the "Force Ghosts" Bane was being tormented by Kaan and Qordis if I'm not mistaken, but they didn't really explain if it was "ghosts" or just a figment of his imagaination due to the thought bomb.
Mass Effect has such a deep and rich universe thanks mostly in part to Karpyshin. His writing was really missing from ME3.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #657
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Mass Effect has such a deep and rich universe thanks mostly in part to Karpyshin. His writing was really missing from ME3.
Agreed! His 3 ME novels were fantastic, then they let some goof ball write a 4th book that pretty much destroyed all of his hard work. I won't even get into what Mac Walters did to the video games with his ME3 writing. lol
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #658
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I realize Mara Jade is annoying, I'm just saying she's an easy target for inclusion. The "secret apprentice" rumour could be freaking Starkiller for all we know...I'm convinced they're going to do something to piss off anyone who has read any of the EU books, period.

You know what? They should just say "screw all the main characters" and make this movie about the continuing adventures of Wedge Antilles and Iella Wessiri. Screw jedi, screw sith, give me some good old fashioned space drama with lens flares or something.

Quote:
One of the best star wars writers out there who wrote a bunch of the Mass Effect Universe was available in Drew Karpyshn instead we're getting what sounds like lazy fan fictioning.
On that note...even if you're not a fan of Mass Effect, I still recommend reading Karpyshn's books on the series. They're highly enjoyable.

Last edited by Mazrim; 08-15-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #659
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You know what? They should just say "screw all the main characters" and make this movie about the continuing adventures of Wedge Antilles and Iella Wessiri. Screw jedi, screw sith, give me some good old fashioned space drama with lens flares or something.
This is exactly what I want for a new trilogy (minus the lens flare). I mean, you do get Corran Horn in there and he has some force abilities plus you have characters that had roles in the original films so it's not as though you're throwing in complete nobodies.

Quote:
On that note...even if you're not a fan of Mass Effect, I still recommend reading Karpyshn's books on the series. They're highly enjoyable.
This. I hope he one day writes some more novels in the ME universe.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #660
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I think that was from the second book, the first book ended when he found Rain after the Thought Bomb.

I don't believe they were force ghosts of Kaan and Qordis. The thought Bomb was suppossed to have horrible effects on the force users (BTW I really liked how they linked the Valley of the Jedi in Jedi Knight to this battle). I think that Bane who was still learning to be a Sith saw those two as his doubts about what he was doing manifested. He was still feeling guilt at that time.

He became a much colder ####### later on and in the final book of the series was fully in Sith mode.