Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #621
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Joe Nieuwendyk was drafted in 85' and joined the Flames late in 86-87' season.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #622
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flames traded down only 7 spots to add that 2nd and apparently they likes Jankowski at 14 even so I am berry happy. If the Flames hit a homerun with Jankowski and Gaudreau it will result in an extremely bright future up front
^^^
Berry, berry good.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #623
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now Canadian high scool hockey is the equal to WHL,OHL,QMJHL
If you believe the over hype the Flames are stating by selecting this kid.
He better have the 94 pts he had.
Take any 1rst round pick and stick them in high school hockey and you have a bunch of Crosby's, Karlsson's and Brodeur's.

This pick is for a (first round) is a joke.
Yes we are to believe the garbage the Flames camp is spewing Gm's are just all clammering over the Canadian High School system now.
Jankowski was wanted by the Flames and that it.

To be so irresponsible and over look Ceci, Maatta, Teravainen, Gaunce

Over looking these players is going to haunt the team for years.
Hey Feaster have you ever heard of the actual concept of a sleeper pick.
Really you knobs took a Canadian High school kid as your 1st round and he isn't even playing on stepping up and playing in the NCAA at least.

What a disaster. I expected so much better from this brain trust.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #624
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Take any 1rst round pick and stick them in high school hockey and you have a bunch of Crosby's, Karlsson's and Brodeur's.

Yes we are to believe the garbage the Flames camp is spewing Gm's are just all clammering over the Canadian High School system now.

Really you knobs took a Canadian High school kid as your 1st round and he isn't even playing on stepping up and playing in the NCAA at least.

What?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #625
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Not one person has said the high school is the same as the CHL. I think everyone has pretty much stated hes playing low level hockey right now.

Im not sure i understand your sleeper pick comment. As this seems like a good sleeper pick to me.

Im guessing you mean stepping up and playing in the NCAA? Well he is planning on that but hes going to play in USHL for a year first. With how young he is that isnt a bad plan. He wasnt the player I wanted but this is one that we can reevaluate in a year and see where we stand.
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #626
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
high school football recruiting has an interesting way of considering prospects.

They look at kids with "ceilings" and "floors", where ceiling is potential and floors are the level of competition.

A guy like Yabukov for example is a high ceiling, high floor. Great top end potential against high end competition...that leads to the expectation that the skills will translate to the next level without much loss.

Jankowski, currently, is a high ceiling, low floor.

While I think most fans appreciate the fact that this kid has a very high ceiling, it is the floor that has most at a little concerned. Will Jankowski continue to dominate and put up ridiculous numbers against other NHL prospects?

Tough to tell right now.
The other notable is the fact that he has the great top end potential with size. Finding big skilled centres is something that only comes around with a top 5 pick. The oppurtunity to grab a player like that because he is a late bloomer is something the Flames had to try. I hope he has a high upside and is that #1 centre we have been missing since the Iginla trade.

It is a calculated gamble. IMO the second rounder helps with that because honestly TT or Grigs could be busts.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #627
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
What?
He's spending a year in Dubuque before Providence. Not sure if that's a good move.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #628
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
He's spending a year in Dubuque before Providence. Not sure if that's a good move.

Right....so in fact he is planning on playing college hockey.

Not sure why it is a bad move to play a year of junior first...he has a LOT of filling out to do and is only 17 years old.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #629
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

whats not to understand watch how the likes of Ceci, Maatta, Teravainen, Gaunce NHL careers go and then compare them to Jankowski. This has all the earmarks of complete bust written all over it. Another Chucko.
Or if you belive the Flames hype he is the next Niewy. I strongly doubt it.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #630
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he's going to the USHL because he's so underdeveloped from his growth spurt that he's not ready for the NCAA.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #631
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure why it is a bad move to play a year of junior first...he has a LOT of filling out to do and is only 17 years old.
Eventually...

I don't know if it's a good move or not, but he just doesn't seem particularly eager to increase his quality of competition. He has the choice between a higher level and a lower level, and is choosing the lower one. That makes me apprehensive.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #632
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The other notable is the fact that he has the great top end potential with size. Finding big skilled centres is something that only comes around with a top 5 pick. The oppurtunity to grab a player like that because he is a late bloomer is something the Flames had to try. I hope he has a high upside and is that #1 centre we have been missing since the Iginla trade.

It is a calculated gamble. IMO the second rounder helps with that because honestly TT or Grigs could be busts.
you can't teach size, that's for sure and typically, that is considered within the idea of the ceiling...and potentially, it is one of the reasons why TT wasn't more heavily considered when he fell to 14 (something i don't think Calgary was expecting)...

Now, if it were Forsberg that fell, I would be hard pressed to believe they liked Jankowski more than Forsberg...a kid that dominated the U-18 tourney...but he didn't so the point is moot.

The second rounder seems to be a solid player, but I am a firm believer in the idea that the team that gets the best player wins the trade...so even if both Flames picks made the NHL, if a guy like TT turns out to be an all star, then its a bad deal.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #633
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
whats not to understand watch how the likes of Ceci, Maatta, Teravainen, Gaunce NHL careers go and then compare them to Jankowski. This has all the earmarks of complete bust written all over it. Another Chucko.
Lol at comparing him to chucko. That one was sutters fault, when could have taken his linemate who was much better.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #634
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If we're supposed to watch how things unfold and compare then why the hell are you so upset about it?

Personally, I'm interested to see what his year looks like in Dubuque and to compare it with Girgensons.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #635
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
One day after the draft and he's already a complete bust? Get your head out of your ass, give it a couple years and re-evaluate later.
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #636
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Eventually...

I don't know if it's a good move or not, but he just doesn't seem particularly eager to increase his quality of competition. He has the choice between a higher level and a lower level, and is choosing the lower one. That makes me apprehensive.
You never know the development cycle of the college he's set to go to either. Maybe they have two senior/junior offensive centers and he would be in a checking role in his first season there. I'd say it is better to go be a star in the USHL for a year, then step into an offensive role in the NCAA and go for freshman of the year. From interviews, it sounds like he spoke with the coach of Providence and the coach of Dubuque and they came up with a path for him to follow while his body develops.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #637
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

well, there's a lot of young kids that play in the CHL at his age and even younger.

It's obviously a calculated decision on his part not to go to providence straight away...you can look at it both ways; kid just being smart in his development or a kid that hesitant to engage immediately with a higher level of competition.

confidence is a huge thing with athletes, and if he and his advisors feel that another year of development is best for him, then you just gotta hang tight.

I don't really buy the filling out part as the reason not to make the jump however...there's lots of under weight kids that make the jump to NCAA...of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #638
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Also, listen to the interviews. This kid is not even 18-years-old, and I am hard pressed to recall a time when I heard such a well spoken, intelligent, affable and confident teenage hockey player. I love the fact that he knows what he is good at, and that he knows where he needs to improve. I love the fact that he believes in himself, and that he aspires to make other players better with his play.\
Matt Pelech?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #639
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
Lol at comparing him to chucko. That one was sutters fault, when could have taken his linemate who was much better.
One thing Jankowski has over the likes of Chucko and Niemisz is that we know it's not his teammates making him look good. It may, however, be his opponents making him look good.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #640
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One thing Jankowski has over the likes of Chucko and Niemisz is that we know it's not his teammates making him look good. It may, however, be his opponents making him look good.
yup. That really is the crux of the whole debate.