Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 09:06 AM   #6221
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I agree that not all protesters are Hamas supporters, I never said that they were. But they he Hamas supporters amongst them are #######s.
We agree on the latter. I think the problem is the view of the person who wrote the opinion column as it makes zero distinction.

Similar to the rise of antisemitism, there is a concentrated push (it’s been this way since the beginning, but more so since Israel has lost public support) to paint anything pro-Palestinian as indistinguishable from pro-Hamas. What people are trying to do is what we’ve seen from the beginning, which is dehumanize Palestinians, further isolate and marginalize them, and make it so that their deaths mean next to nothing to people. It’s ironic that bigots like Cliff and Azure bring up Nazi Germany, as they play into the same tactics to dehumanize and demonize innocent Palestinians. It’s no surprise that Nentenyahu played the exact same card, and I’m not sure I would proudly repeat the very same things a former Hamas-supporter who is hell bent on staying in power regardless of how many people he has to kill has said.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 09:16 AM   #6222
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

If some nazis participated in a right-wing protest, would people be so quick to offer the ‘few bad apples’ excuse? Or would they say (rightly) that anyone at that protest who didn’t want to be associated with nazis should step up and denounce them?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 09:20 AM   #6223
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As with most things, it is a few bad apples.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1776754750077506030

https://twitter.com/alanfryermedia/s...54750077506030
Old 04-25-2024, 09:22 AM   #6224
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...-yay-for-hamas

A handful of the Hamas supporters in the US. They aren’t exactly the finest members of society, just spoiled rich kids. I don’t think anyone on this board would want to be associated with what they stand for.

Well, except maybe Q, he is the only one on this board that I know of who believes Hamas should maintain power in Gaza.
Wtf????
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 09:29 AM   #6225
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That guys is a creepy loser.

Still that guy being a creepy loser doesn't justify continuing to bomb Palestine into dust.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:54 AM   #6226
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If some nazis participated in a right-wing protest, would people be so quick to offer the ‘few bad apples’ excuse? Or would they say (rightly) that anyone at that protest who didn’t want to be associated with nazis should step up and denounce them?
I would expect pro-Palestinian protestors to denounce pro-Hamas individuals (as we are), just as I would expect pro-Israeli protestors to denounce individuals like the person who told a Palestinian woman she deserved to be raped.

Out of curiosity, if you were in a conversation where someone told someone else they should die for their views, would you denounce it? Or would you mock the person who was told to die and call them a whiner?

Just kidding, I know the answer.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:00 AM   #6227
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm old enough to remember when the Nazi symbols showed up at the trucker protests and how lots here, in the government and in the media went off the rails because of it.

But suicide vests aren't really a bad thing, amirite? They're really not even actually saying that they actually want to actually you know kill people? Not quite at least.

They don't even support Hamas! Just ask Zary!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:13 AM   #6228
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'm old enough to remember when the Nazi symbols showed up at the trucker protests and how lots here, in the government and in the media went off the rails because of it.

But suicide vests aren't really a bad thing, amirite? They're really not even actually saying that they actually want to actually you know kill people? Not quite at least.

I’m old enough to remember when Cliff shared a far-right article dismissing the more nefarious elements of the convoy protests as fantasy.

I’m old enough to remember when you dismissed those same elements and talked about the extreme importance of our right to protest in regards to the convoy and anti-COVID protests, in between your critique of pro-Palestine and BLM protests.

We’re all old enough to remember lots of stuff. Which tapes do we want to roll? I’ve got ‘em ready.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:14 AM   #6229
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Who's supporting guys wearing fake suicide vests? I think that's frightening and disgusting, personally.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 10:18 AM   #6230
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Wtf????
My bad. I remembered incorrectly. You had stated that you believe Hamas can live in peace with Israel, not that you supported Hamas.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:26 AM   #6231
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

When did I say that? You and Nage are really good at saying things that are totally made up.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:30 AM   #6232
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
My bad. I remembered incorrectly. You had stated that you believe Hamas can live in peace with Israel, not that you supported Hamas.
I've gone on record saying that I don't like Hamas. I've also said that it's not my place or your place and certainly not Israel's place to impose a government on the Palestinians against their will.

I would hope that we can get to a point where Hamas aren't the most attractive option for Palestinians. That's certainly not going to happen while Israel does its best at being worse than them. With that said, if Hamas and Israel reorganize and find a way to live peacefully together, then who cares. That's a decent outcome.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:35 AM   #6233
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

So yeah, Hamas bad.

But there have now been 35,000+ deaths, 13,000+ CHILDREN in Gaza.

The fury, grief, despair in Gaza. In what world does anyone expect Gazans to renounce Hamas or similarly aligned terrorist groups after a massacre like this? It's bananas. It's anti-human nature. Only by denying Gazans' humanity could anyone think this is anything but naked racism and genocide.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:52 AM   #6234
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I've gone on record saying that I don't like Hamas. I've also said that it's not my place or your place and certainly not Israel's place to impose a government on the Palestinians against their will.

I would hope that we can get to a point where Hamas aren't the most attractive option for Palestinians. That's certainly not going to happen while Israel does its best at being worse than them. With that said, if Hamas and Israel reorganize and find a way to live peacefully together, then who cares. That's a decent outcome.
I agree.

However, I do not believe that Hamas has any desire to live in peace with Israel. You don’t plan and execute what happened on Oct 7 with a desire to live in peace.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:55 AM   #6235
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I agree.

However, I do not believe that Hamas has any desire to live in peace with Israel. You don’t plan and execute what happened on Oct 7 with a desire to live in peace.
And most people, myself included don't believe Israel has any desire to live in peace with Palestinians. Whether in Gaza or the places the IDF and Israeli citizens are torturing and killing in the West Bank.

Hamas= bad

Israel = bad
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:01 AM   #6236
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I agree.

Do you know if Israel was violent at all toward Palestinians prior to October 7? Like, do you know if Israel killed more Palestinians in every single year than the other way around?

Oh hai, I found some info on that (citation):
2008 - 2024 - 6,847 Palestinian fatalities at the hands of Israel (data on casualties in the Gaza Strip are not added post October 7, 2023 until these incidents have been independently verified).

2008 - 2024 - 321 Israeli fatalities at the hands of Palestinians.

That Israel is pretty scrappy for a peaceful nation, guy.

Maybe the injuries will tell a different story...oh wait, nope! Turns out the peace-loving IDF likes inflicting injuries on Palestinians, too:

2008 - 2024 - 158,123 Palestinian injuries at the hands of Israel (data on injuries in the Gaza Strip are not added post October 7, 2023 until these incidents have been independently verified).

2008 - 2024 - 6,449 Israeli injuries at the hands of Palestinians.

I assume this will change nothing about how you view the situation lol.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 11:08 AM   #6237
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
And most people, myself included don't believe Israel has any desire to live in peace with Palestinians. Whether in Gaza or the places the IDF and Israeli citizens are torturing and killing in the West Bank.

Hamas= bad

Israel = bad
This is totally ignorant of the facts. Israel wants peace and have time and again mad efforts for peace amongst its neighbours, often successfully. When not successful, there is one thing in common…Iran.

Israel is the way it is because they are surrounded by Iranian militias bombarding Israel with attacks. Want peace with Israel? Make peace with Israel. Over 20% of Israel are Muslims, neighbours and coworkers. They go to the same restaurants and doctors.

I can’t say the same for Israel’s neighbours but I hope one day when there is increased pressure on Iran that both sides wake up and decide enough is enough. Recent efforts from both Saudi Arabia and Israel are evidence of moving forward.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:18 AM   #6238
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Israel wants peace" y'know, if you entirely ignore the hyper-militaristic monoculture they've fostered and the rabid kill-em-all rhetoric of their government

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 11:20 AM   #6239
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
"Israel wants peace" y'know, if you entirely ignore the hyper-militaristic monoculture they've fostered and the rabid kill-em-all rhetoric of their government
Their prime minister is literally a Hamas supporter in order to give him an excuse not to make peace with the Palestinians. Yet somehow, they want peace.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 11:44 AM   #6240
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Their prime minister is literally a Hamas supporter in order to give him an excuse not to make peace with the Palestinians. Yet somehow, they want peace.
Yeah, the majority of Israelis almost certainly do. But I don’t think anyone can say with a straight face that Israel does so long as Netanyahu is in charge.