Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:04 AM   #6181
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
other than baseless speculation, what are you basing it on? that sweet picture?
If it's "baseless" why even ask that question?
Old 05-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #6182
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

One positive thing to be said about the Oilers is that they were fairly consistent this season. No long losing streaks, no meltdowns. No laughable idiocy this year. They were a team that consistently put up points this year.

With that being said, there was a tonne of stuff that went right for them. No real adversity (and no, the Davidson injury and the Nurse injury is not adversity - I would actually call those a bit of luck since those two are vastly overrated and kind of suck -- with Davidson being traded for kind of a sucky player himself for proof).

Maybe the Oilers repeat, but they have a lot of work to do. They are really a one line team with Talbot using all 10 fingers to plug the holes. They were the beneficiaries of some luck - having to play the Flames when the Flames were complete garbage and still trying to figure out Gulutzan's system, the easier scheduling, the best possible match-up vs a crippled San Jose roster... the list goes on somewhat.

Will be interesting to see how they do next season as compared to this one, and what moves Chiarelli makes (like how to make Eberle disappear). Cam Talbot is definitely the MVP of the Oilers and deserves 100% of any Hart consideration for the team. That was a pickup that I didn't think would make such an impact.

However, one thing must be said. Edmonton is still a garbage team of lottery picks and the biggest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. I am betting that Chia-Pet continues to make some of the poor moves he is known to make since his days in Boston (sorry, he did not build that cup winner, but he sure did a good job of dismantling it).

Edmonton was consistent this year, but my money is that they aren't next season. With Talbot and McDavid, they will definitely see some highs, but that roster has a ways to go before it gets the label of annual contender in my books. I see them still a team that is very much a playoff bubble team, and what I saw this playoffs doesn't change my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #6183
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...s-team-insider

Quote:
This in from Drew Remenda, Sportsnet game analyst for Edmonton Oilers broadcasts, talking with Reid Wilkins on Inside Sports and giving his take that the Oilers will look at moving “one, two or maybe three” of Jordan Eberle, Benoit Pouliot and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins this summer.
I actually hope that other teams don't help them out. They can keep those guys. Keep the dead weight, don't make room for the new crop. I know they these guys are in the bottom 6 now, making $6m a year, is nuts. All other GMs in the league have got to stick it to the Oilers. I know it isn't likely but they need to for all the sucking and being rewarded with McDavid. Unacceptable.

If the Oilers do trade these guys, I hope it is to Vancouver or somewhere in the pacific, I think it helps the Flames having softies like these guys in our division.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #6184
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solid post above however there was a stretch where the oilers won 4 of 18 games and lost 5 and 7 in a row.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #6185
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
I actually hope that other teams don't help them out. They can keep those guys. Keep the dead weight, don't make room for the new crop. I know they these guys are in the bottom 6 now, making $6m a year, is nuts. All other GMs in the league have got to stick it to the Oilers. I know it isn't likely but they need to for all the sucking and being rewarded with McDavid. Unacceptable.

If the Oilers do trade these guys, I hope it is to Vancouver or somewhere in the pacific, I think it helps the Flames having softies like these guys in our division.
I think we're looking at a situation where other GMs will try to take advantage of Chiarelli since he's in a pretty vulnerable position and has a history of making terrible deals. Quite a few GMs will probably look to make use of the upcoming cap situation in Edmonton to pry semi-useful pieces away for lowball offers. Add the huge expectations from just about everyone in the hockey world on the Oilers to keep succeeding now after finally getting back to the playoffs, Chiarelli sure is in a difficult spot.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:24 AM   #6186
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Realistically if I was a young hockey star making millions a year I would have a few criteria for a city or a team, if the team was a genuine cup winner, a Detroit or a Chicago in their respective eras, or looking like they might becoming one, that would make any crap hole tolerable, beyond that you want to be in a large city with a decent climate and a lot to do, none of the prairie teams offer this.

Ideally in the states because off the ice you can just be a wealthy guy, no one pestering you in clubs or shops, and or most states the tax rate is lower.

McDavid will stay in Edmonton if he thinks he can win a cup there but will bolt in a heart beat if he doesn't, who wouldn't frankly? given the choice of being a multi millionaire in LA or New York or Miami
Old 05-12-2017, 01:50 AM   #6187
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Realistically if I was a young hockey star making millions a year I would have a few criteria for a city or a team, if the team was a genuine cup winner, a Detroit or a Chicago in their respective eras, or looking like they might becoming one, that would make any crap hole tolerable, beyond that you want to be in a large city with a decent climate and a lot to do, none of the prairie teams offer this.

Ideally in the states because off the ice you can just be a wealthy guy, no one pestering you in clubs or shops, and or most states the tax rate is lower.

McDavid will stay in Edmonton if he thinks he can win a cup there but will bolt in a heart beat if he doesn't, who wouldn't frankly? given the choice of being a multi millionaire in LA or New York or Miami
It depends on the person I guess. I've only been in the Miami airport so I can't talk about that, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in New York or LA if I could choose any city with an NHL team.

Dustin Byfuglien likes to fish. For example. He loves Winnipeg.

Some guys like to be close to where they grew up.

Some guys don't like change at all.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:53 AM   #6188
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...especially since most of these guys haven't played a playoff game in their lives
I'm going to need a fact check on that statement.

Not on another NHL team, AHL, in junior, midget, minor, or any other sport?

Either this is the usual invented facts and faux bravado, or they really, truly are a bunch of losers.

Either way, e=ng.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:47 AM   #6189
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Stupid; 05-12-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:42 AM   #6190
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_oilers View Post
1 win away from the final 4 that they failed to win 4 times in 5 games, CHOKING away 2 of those games on home ice, and very young core ok.

Rich owner matters because of the gap between the cap floor and the cap ceiling. He won't get paid more in Edmonton but his team will be spending the max possible on ice and off ice to help the team win.
I fixed that for you. You forgot the most important part. You know that they had a 2-0 series lead heading home which they squandered. The only thing worse would be squandering a 3-0 lead, but yeah. 1 win win away. Sure. You can tell yourself that.

Nothing like selling lipstick on a pig. No one here will buy it.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #6191
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Darryl Katz is worth 2.7 billion which is impressive until you look at the Flames ownership groups combined wealth

Murray Edwards is worth about 2.1 billion, Clay Riddell is worth over 3 billion Allan Markin is worth just under a billion and the others are in the 5 to 600 million area.

The other thing is that they don't dress like a cheap bono knockoff and run a casting couch that goes public.
darryl katz owns only the finest of casting couches however. another point Edmonton.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #6192
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman was speculating that Vegas could sign Draisaitl to an offer sheet this summer. Purely speculation but it's something the Knights can afford to do if they want to accelerate their team building.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #6193
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
It depends on the person I guess. I've only been in the Miami airport so I can't talk about that, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in New York or LA if I could choose any city with an NHL team.

lol - that's great.

But I am guessing you haven't lived in either with a 7 digit income. Widely regarded as the 2 best cities to live in the US if you have coin. Not saying they are everyone's cup of tea - some people like to fish - but if you're suggesting they aren't among the most popular destinations, you would be wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #6194
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
One positive thing to be said about the Oilers is that they were fairly consistent this season. No long losing streaks, no meltdowns. No laughable idiocy this year. They were a team that consistently put up points this year.

With that being said, there was a tonne of stuff that went right for them. No real adversity (and no, the Davidson injury and the Nurse injury is not adversity - I would actually call those a bit of luck since those two are vastly overrated and kind of suck -- with Davidson being traded for kind of a sucky player himself for proof).

Maybe the Oilers repeat, but they have a lot of work to do. They are really a one line team with Talbot using all 10 fingers to plug the holes. They were the beneficiaries of some luck - having to play the Flames when the Flames were complete garbage and still trying to figure out Gulutzan's system, the easier scheduling, the best possible match-up vs a crippled San Jose roster... the list goes on somewhat.

Will be interesting to see how they do next season as compared to this one, and what moves Chiarelli makes (like how to make Eberle disappear). Cam Talbot is definitely the MVP of the Oilers and deserves 100% of any Hart consideration for the team. That was a pickup that I didn't think would make such an impact.

However, one thing must be said. Edmonton is still a garbage team of lottery picks and the biggest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. I am betting that Chia-Pet continues to make some of the poor moves he is known to make since his days in Boston (sorry, he did not build that cup winner, but he sure did a good job of dismantling it).

Edmonton was consistent this year, but my money is that they aren't next season. With Talbot and McDavid, they will definitely see some highs, but that roster has a ways to go before it gets the label of annual contender in my books. I see them still a team that is very much a playoff bubble team, and what I saw this playoffs doesn't change my opinion.
hmmmmm.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlbertaOiler72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #6195
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

Agree especially about L.A., that's an overrated city. New York is one that I think actually would be great but still depends on your personal tastes. Honestly I feel like Tampa Bay would be ideal as a young player.

Low Taxes: Check
Good Weather: Check
Competitive Team: Check
Good Management: Check
Low Media Pressure: Check

If I was a UFA and Tampa Bay was an option on the table I would be giving it a long hard look (although my personal bias from 03/04 would make it tough).
Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #6196
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...s-team-insider

I don't think you need to worry about that. The last team in the league that anyone else is helping out is Edmonton. Three reasons that they have pissed off other teams:

1) starting the offer sheet saga
2) tanking on purpose and getting 4 1st overalls
3) ending up with McDavid, even after the league was forced to make changes to the draft lottery because of them.

There isn't a GM in the league that will do them a favour.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #6197
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
hmmmmm.....
The thing with Chiarelli is that historically he makes a lot of moves and tends to play on the extremes - moves are either really good or really bad.

Good: Talbot
Bad: Reinhart

Good: Maroon
Bad: Hall for Larsson

Good: Kessel Trade to Toronto
Bad: Seguin Trade to Dallas

Good: Acquire Nathan Horton
Bad: Acquire Kaberle from Toronto

The one thing that he has had trouble with in the past though is managing the cap, which TBH comes with having a contender, but he didn't navigate that very well in Boston. Will see how he does with his second opportunity here in Edmonton.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #6198
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Agree especially about L.A., that's an overrated city. New York is one that I think actually would be great but still depends on your personal tastes. Honestly I feel like Tampa Bay would be ideal as a young player.).
LA is such a big area (and surrounding) that players arent restricted to staying in that immediate area. the cup winning kinds were famous for the vast majority either living in Manhattan Or Hermosa Beach.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #6199
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The thing with Chiarelli is that historically he makes a lot of moves and tends to play on the extremes - moves are either really good or really bad.

Good: Talbot
Bad: Reinhart

Good: Maroon
Bad: Hall for Larsson

Good: Kessel Trade to Toronto
Bad: Seguin Trade to Dallas

Good: Acquire Nathan Horton
Bad: Acquire Kaberle from Toronto

The one thing that he has had trouble with in the past though is managing the cap, which TBH comes with having a contender, but he didn't navigate that very well in Boston. Will see how he does with his second opportunity here in Edmonton.
that was a great move...he traded from a position of strength (wingers) to address a position of need (RH defenseman)....I know that advanced analytics people love Hall's high-volume, low-percentage shooting cause they makes him out to be a corsi god but he didn't make NJ's offense better
while Edmonton's defense got a whole lot better in part due to Larsson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlbertaOiler72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #6200
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Friedman was speculating that Vegas could sign Draisaitl to an offer sheet this summer. Purely speculation but it's something the Knights can afford to do if they want to accelerate their team building.
I would send a second to the Knights for future considerations if they could be encouraged to do that, because screw the Oilers

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread