Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #601
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Is my Hitron modem/router junk?

I'm finding that with wireless (in the same room) I'm regularly getting closer to 30 (or far less) Mbps download, and the highest I could get wired the other day was 65.

Streaming has been near-impossible for live events (constantly restarts of the Sportsnet NOW app for the World Cup, and tons of freezes while watching on the computer) but Netflix seems ok. I know 150 is the "up to" amount, but I assumed I would at least get "close to."

Is there an easy fix? Or should I call Shaw?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #602
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Is my Hitron modem/router junk?

I'm finding that with wireless (in the same room) I'm regularly getting closer to 30 (or far less) Mbps download, and the highest I could get wired the other day was 65.

Streaming has been near-impossible for live events (constantly restarts of the Sportsnet NOW app for the World Cup, and tons of freezes while watching on the computer) but Netflix seems ok. I know 150 is the "up to" amount, but I assumed I would at least get "close to."

Is there an easy fix? Or should I call Shaw?
They actually over provision speeds, I believe 150 will actually be unofficially 175 as they do not expect you to hit that 150 number due to a bunch of factors, but provisioning higher will ensure you should get 150 in most cases most often. Shaw tech explained that to me.

If you haven't bridged it and are getting those speeds call Shaw. Something is for sure up. They'll most likely send someone to your house to run tests, and replace the router if need be. They did that for me.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #603
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Alright, I'll give them a call. I haven't bridged anything and I'm just kind of shocked at how slow it is. Slower than my 25mbps Telus plan was a lot of the time.

During speed tests the upload speeds seem to come as advertised, but my download speeds are awful.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #604
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got my Hitron installed, getting 100 down and 15 up.

Its not quite as advertised but with where I live I have no complaints,

Last year the best I could get was 30 down and 5 up for 10$ cheaper so this was
a huge upgrade!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #605
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Alright, I'll give them a call. I haven't bridged anything and I'm just kind of shocked at how slow it is. Slower than my 25mbps Telus plan was a lot of the time.

During speed tests the upload speeds seem to come as advertised, but my download speeds are awful.
Could it be a hardware limitation? I'm using a Hitron as well.

That's the issue I had. I was getting things like 55-80 DL/15-16 UL. Turns out an iPhone 6 and ipad mini (gen 1) can't handle my max theoretical DL speeds, but a 6S or newer gets the max. I'm guessing lots of hardware has 100DL/100UL specs. That's why the upload is hitting, but not the DL.

Most laptop cards can't even use 5GHz band. I have to use 2.4 GHz. Plus the card can't go over 100/100 DL/UL.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #606
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Just got my Hitron installed, getting 100 down and 15 up.

Its not quite as advertised but with where I live I have no complaints,

Last year the best I could get was 30 down and 5 up for 10$ cheaper so this was
a huge upgrade!
I wouldn't settle for 50mbit less than what you are paying for...

likely a hardware limit though since you are getting full upload
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #607
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya I'm wired through a router as well, they were pretty hesitant to give me the deal because they were worried about getting advertised speeds where I live. Overall I'm pretty ecstatic I was able to even get 100
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #608
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Ya I'm wired through a router as well, they were pretty hesitant to give me the deal because they were worried about getting advertised speeds where I live. Overall I'm pretty ecstatic I was able to even get 100
Wired to a computer? Do both the router and computer have Gigabit ports? Sounds like you've got some hardware that's limited to 100Mbps.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:13 AM   #609
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

What download speeds is everyone getting on their iPhones? This has been really frustrating. My laptop speed fluctuates from 30-75 and I only get like 12-15mp/s on my iPhone.

I was getting 175 on my laptop the first few days after upgrading but not even close anymore.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #610
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still 180 at home right now. Seems to be fine, they might be doing work in your area.

Package is apparently killing Telus financially at the moment. Looks like they over-committed in the dividend payout.

Quote:
Telus Corp. is trying to impose a three-year wage freeze for thousands of its employees as the Canadian wireless carrier works to control costs amid renewed competition from Shaw Communications Inc. and an economic downturn in its key market of Alberta.

Telus is proposing lump-sum payments instead of annual wage increases for the first half of a six-year contract, according to bargaining updates from the Telecommunications Workers Union. The one-time payments would range from $8,500 to $19,000, according to a Sept. 15 union update.

The labour talks come as Canada’s third-biggest telecommunications company is juggling a long list of challenges. The Vancouver-based firm faces increased competition from Shaw Communications on wireless and home internet service. It also pledged to increase dividend payments to shareholders while investing $2.85 billion this year alone in network improvements.
http://business.financialpost.com/fp...ications-looms
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #611
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
What download speeds is everyone getting on their iPhones? This has been really frustrating. My laptop speed fluctuates from 30-75 and I only get like 12-15mp/s on my iPhone.

I was getting 175 on my laptop the first few days after upgrading but not even close anymore.
Purely based on memory and unscientific testing, on the Hitron on wide open plan...

I never tested iphone 5 or 5S.
iphone 6 - 30-70 DL, 13-14 UL; half of that if using the 2.4 Ghz channel
iphone 6S - 140-160 DL 14-15 UL, never tested 2.4 GHz
iphone 7 - 160-170 DL 15-17 UL, never tested 2.4Ghz

iPad mini - 20-40 DL 8-9 UL half if using 2.4GHz channel

OPO - 70-110 DL 12-14 UL, never tested 2.4 Ghz

Laptops with 2.4GHz only wireless cards (Max 100) - 20-85 DL, 10-14 UL; Ethernet 80-100 DL 14-15 UL.

I'm not sure what I can reply you. I guess also, it depends which iPhone and if you're using 2.4 vs 5.0 Ghz?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 12:50 PM   #612
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Purely based on memory and unscientific testing, on the Hitron on wide open plan...

I never tested iphone 5 or 5S.
iphone 6 - 30-70 DL, 13-14 UL; half of that if using the 2.4 Ghz channel
iphone 6S - 140-160 DL 14-15 UL, never tested 2.4 GHz
iphone 7 - 160-170 DL 15-17 UL, never tested 2.4Ghz

iPad mini - 20-40 DL 8-9 UL half if using 2.4GHz channel

OPO - 70-110 DL 12-14 UL, never tested 2.4 Ghz

Laptops with 2.4GHz only wireless cards (Max 100) - 20-85 DL, 10-14 UL; Ethernet 80-100 DL 14-15 UL.

I'm not sure what I can reply you. I guess also, it depends which iPhone and if you're using 2.4 vs 5.0 Ghz?
2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz would make a huge difference. 5.0 has a much higher potential throughput and but definitely suffers more at range. 2.4Ghz is much much more limited, after overhead this would peak out at around 70Mbps per stream. That is at max signal strength. I would check a wire connection first. If his iPhone is autoswitching between bands (which it likely is), he's probably just gone to 2.4 instead of 5.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #613
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm able to get 175/16 on my iPhone 6 over 5ghz while at work. At home it is similar, but sometimes the upload isn't quite as quick. But for the purposes of your troubleshooting, the iPhone 6 can definitely get 175 over 5ghz.

I prefer to give my 2.4 and 5 networks different SSIDs, and my devices that are capable of 5, I set to "forget" the 2.4 all together. I find that the iPhone joins the first network that it sees, and doesn't switch over to a better network when it appears. If I have both my 2.4 and 5 SSIDs set up on my phone, It'll grab the 2.4 one first as I'm in my garage, and then keep connected to it until I tell it otherwise, even when the 5 signal is strong.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #614
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm able to get 175/16 on my iPhone 6 over 5ghz while at work. At home it is similar, but sometimes the upload isn't quite as quick. But for the purposes of your troubleshooting, the iPhone 6 can definitely get 175 over 5ghz.

I prefer to give my 2.4 and 5 networks different SSIDs, and my devices that are capable of 5, I set to "forget" the 2.4 all together. I find that the iPhone joins the first network that it sees, and doesn't switch over to a better network when it appears. If I have both my 2.4 and 5 SSIDs set up on my phone, It'll grab the 2.4 one first as I'm in my garage, and then keep connected to it until I tell it otherwise, even when the 5 signal is strong.
I got around 140/15 over 5.0Ghz on an iPhone 6 when the modem was first installed, once. Then it refused to go above the previous speeds I mentioned even with various settings tweaks. My wife's 6S however gets the speeds you're reporting no problem.

I've actually be curious whether the 6 and 6 plus can get different speeds. Is yours a plus or regular iphone 6?

Totally agreed on the difference in 2.4 vs 5.0Ghz speeds and the annoying fact it doesn't auto swap to 5.0 when it's available.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #615
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Took me six weeks to get the 150 capable Cisco router and my problems are solved. The HiTron is a piece of junk. I'm really surprised with Shaw lowering the quality of the hardware standards they've held in the past.

I've never had the difficulties I've had with this "upgrade" ever with Shaw. They have been outstanding.

I went from Internet 100 with a Cisco modem which was pulling 110 Mbps and about 7 up to the Hitron which was 55 Mbps down and 16 up. Now I am back to 170 Mbps down and 16 up. Which is fantastic given the bill has dropped $40
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #616
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Took me six weeks to get the 150 capable Cisco router and my problems are solved. The HiTron is a piece of junk. I'm really surprised with Shaw lowering the quality of the hardware standards they've held in the past.
When the Gateway/Portal system came out, there was a ton of problems with it and people were griping about not being able to keep using their better quality Motorola PVRs. Sounds like they're doing the same thing here.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #617
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Motorola interface is leaps and bounds ahead of gateway. But the entire Gateway/Portal system surpass the interface.

Both are still archaic in terms of what should be possible in terms of controlling your cable content. But Gateway > Motorola at the time they rolled out and still now.

From what i've seen of the telus system it's a little more advanced and faster. I am not a fan of Telus though.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #618
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post

I've never had the difficulties I've had with this "upgrade" ever with Shaw. They have been outstanding.

I went from Internet 100 with a Cisco modem which was pulling 110 Mbps and about 7 up to the Hitron which was 55 Mbps down and 16 up. Now I am back to 170 Mbps down and 16 up. Which is fantastic given the bill has dropped $40
For the issues with the Hitron modem; would those be cured if I hooked it up to a different router? Or is it the actual modem functionality that's sub-par?

I ordered the self installation kit, and got the Hitron. I have my own AC router that I'm hoping I can use that if my wifi isn't great on the Hitron.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #619
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
For the issues with the Hitron modem; would those be cured if I hooked it up to a different router? Or is it the actual modem functionality that's sub-par?

I ordered the self installation kit, and got the Hitron. I have my own AC router that I'm hoping I can use that if my wifi isn't great on the Hitron.
The Hitron fulfills it's requirements 170/15 on it's own as a router. It should also work the same when hooked up to your own router, once you have it bridged. So it should perform both ways. Typical home use.

If you are hooked directly to the Hitron and your shaw.speedtest.net is not giving you 170/15 then your modem is defective.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #620
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

"...your modem may be defective", along with a host of other network or PC configuration issues.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150