Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #6061
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
All taxation and spending should occur as close as possible to the end user. I'm not really a states rights person so would be okay with Canadian style transfers but having the federal government be responsible for things the local government should be responsible for doesn't make sense. Each layer you add just adds inefficiency. Even the whole following up with the states to ensure it is spent appropriately shouldn't be done. The states can put on their big boy pants.

The US budgeting and governance structure is so messed up a kill the patient mentality might just be needed. People need to change how they vote at the state level and party primary level in order to fix the current mess so that extremism in safe seats is eliminated. To motivate people to do that some education is required.

Now I don't live there but when the mess that is created needs to be fixed hopefully not starting from bloated inefficient structures will help.
Yes the system is inefficient. Yes it's bloated. But this isn't really a business where you can go in and readily see Product line A is not performing and needs to be replaced (usually not just cut but replaced).

This is actually playing with peoples lives and to me the thing governments get wrong almost every time they decide to balance budgets and make cuts is that they basically go in without information and just cut. It's usually based on party ideology or personal beliefs. Rather what they should do is actually go in, drive efficiency and FIND OUT what is running efficiently and what isn't. Drive efficiency from the inside and you may actually find out you don't need to cut a damn thing. They start at the wrong end because cutting programs does not cause people to work towards greater efficiency. You aren't fixing the actual processes that are universal to all the programs that are the cause of the inefficiency.

Last edited by ernie; 03-17-2017 at 06:54 AM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #6062
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
How has no one just stood up and started screaming at this guy? How has someone not punched him in the face? The restraint is remarkable.
I wanted to punch him through my computer screen!

deflect deflect deflect!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #6063
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All taxation and spending should occur as close as possible to the end user. I'm not really a states rights person so would be okay with Canadian style transfers but having the federal government be responsible for things the local government should be responsible for doesn't make sense. Each layer you add just adds inefficiency. Even the whole following up with the states to ensure it is spent appropriately shouldn't be done. The states can put on their big boy pants.
That's gross oversimplification. No, taxation closer to the end user does not increase efficiency. That's a myth. There are times where it makes sense, but to suggest it's a blanket truth is ideology driven, not reality. In a lot of cases, having 50 separate agencies creating and enforcing rules isn't more efficient.
Quote:
The US budgeting and governance structure is so messed up a kill the patient mentality might just be needed. People need to change how they vote at the state level and party primary level in order to fix the current mess so that extremism in safe seats is eliminated. To motivate people to do that some education is required.

Now I don't live there but when the mess that is created needs to be fixed hopefully not starting from bloated inefficient structures will help.
This is literally thousands of people's lives at risk. Increasing the most inefficient and bloated department (pentagon), vastly increasing tax cuts for millionaires is worth slashing programs that feed kids at school that show up hungry, meals in wheels for seniors, etc.

Somehow that might fix the system? Where is the logic there? Honestly, I'm confused

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 03-17-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #6064
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having to apologize to allies for believing FOX News bull####. This is why there's longing for the W. days.

Quote:
The US has made a formal apology to Britain after the White House accused GCHQ of helping Barack Obama spy on Donald Trump in the White House.

Sean Spicer, Mr Trump's press secretary, repeated a claim on Thursday evening – initially made by an analyst on Fox News - that GCHQ was used by Mr Obama to spy on Trump Tower in the lead-up to last November's election.

The comments prompted a furious response from GCHQ, which in a break from normal practice issued a public statement: "Recent allegations made by media commentator Judge Andrew Napolitano about GCHQ being asked to conduct 'wiretapping' against the then president-elect are nonsense. They are utterly ridiculous and should be ignored."

Intelligence sources told The Telegraph that both Mr Spicer and General McMaster, the US National Security Adviser, have apologised over the claims. "The apology came direct from them," a source said.

General McMaster contacted Sir Mark Lyall Grant, the Prime Minister's National Security adviser, to apologise for the comments. Mr Spicer conveyed his apology through Sir Kim Darroch, Britain's US ambassador.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...q-wiretapping/
Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #6065
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not saying I support the Trump cuts as a whole. And certainly not what he is doing with the savings. All I'm saying is that in the bag of crap there are cuts that make sense. And meals on wheels is one of them (in canada it is not federally funded). So when the argument becomes they cut Mr Rogers and Meals on Wheels that's not a very compelling argument against trump.

What is is trying to defund health care for 24 million people.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #6066
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Rex sounds very low energy. SAD!

Quote:
A joint news conference aside, Tillerson spent almost 2 1/2 hours with Japanese Foreign Minister Kishida including a dinner, and another hour with Prime Minister Abe. But his meetings with Yun and Hwang were each confined to about an hour, without a lunch or dinner gathering. Seoul officials said the US side opted not to have a meal together, citing the secretary’s “fatigue.”
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170317000859
Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #6067
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Trump Cancels Europa Lander, Asteroid Mission, Earth Science Satellites In First Budget

http://www.iflscience.com/space/trum...-first-budget/

Scientists Brace for a Lost Generation in American Research

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...cience/519825/

Last edited by troutman; 03-17-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #6068
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying I support the Trump cuts as a whole. And certainly not what he is doing with the savings. All I'm saying is that in the bag of crap there are cuts that make sense. And meals on wheels is one of them (in canada it is not federally funded). So when the argument becomes they cut Mr Rogers and Meals on Wheels that's not a very compelling argument against trump.

What is is trying to defund health care for 24 million people.
It's not like the Federal government runs Meals on Wheels. The organization gets grants from the Feds, to the tune of 30% of their budget.

I saw a spokesperson from MoW yesterday. She said a 30% chop would (obviously) severely affect what they do. Some people will get less food, or other people will be turned down and placed on a waiting list.

Their clients are mostly poor, elderly, and very often in ill health, with diabetes and other ailments. She went on to point out that one year of Meals on Wheels costs less than one day in the hospital. Poor, elderly people who don't get proper nutrition end up in the hospital or in long-term care, and they don't pay for it because they can't.

The savings from this are questionable.

Last edited by RougeUnderoos; 03-17-2017 at 09:52 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #6069
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Trump Cancels Europa Lander, Asteroid Mission, Earth Science Satellites In First Budget

http://www.iflscience.com/space/trum...-first-budget/

Scientists Brace for a Lost Generation in American Research

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...cience/519825/
I hate how climate change deniers in government keep on doing crap like this. "We believe climate change is not caused by human activity" and when they are shown evidence to the contrary "lets remove all ways we can measure and evaluate it's cause". Somewhere down the line the messaging always changes to "Well no one knows whether it's climate change is caused by human activity because no one has the numbers to show it". You defunded the the earth sciences satellites so it would fit your fricking narrative dumba**.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #6070
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
It's not like the Federal government runs Meals on Wheels. The organization gets grants from the Feds, to the tune of 30% of their budget.

I saw a spokesperson from MoW yesterday. She said a 30% chop would (obviously) severely affect what they do. Some people will get less food, or other people will be turned down and placed on a waiting list.

Their clients are mostly poor, elderly, and very often in ill health, with diabetes and other ailments. She went on to point out that one year of Meals on Wheels costs less than one day in the hospital. Poor, elderly people who don't get proper nutrition end up in the hospital or in long-term care, and they don't pay for it because they can't.

The savings from this are questionable.
Savings will become apparent when all the poor people are dead.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #6071
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I hate how climate change deniers in government keep on doing crap like this. "We believe climate change is not caused by human activity" and when they are shown evidence to the contrary "lets remove all ways we can measure and evaluate it's cause". Somewhere down the line the messaging always changes to "Well no one knows whether it's climate change is caused by human activity because no one has the numbers to show it". You defunded the the earth sciences satellites so it would fit your fricking narrative dumba**.
Republicans Break Ranks With Pledge to Fight Climate Change

The resolution has been floated before, but this year things are very different.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...climate-change

Seventeen conservative Republican members of Congress—10 of them in their first or second terms—are bucking long-time party positions and the new occupant of the White House. They announced on Wednesday that they’re supporting a clear statement about the risks associated with climate change, as well as principles for how best to fight it.

Called the “Republican Climate Resolution” by supporters, the statement by House members takes about 450 words to mention conservative thought on environmentalism, support for climate science, feared impacts, and a call for economically viable policy. They pledge in general terms to support study and mitigation measures, “using our tradition of American ingenuity, innovation, and exceptionalism.”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #6072
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
And Rex sounds very low energy. SAD!

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170317000859

I would think that being the secretary of State or in Canada the Foreign Minister would probably be the least fun and most exhausting job of all of the cabinet ministers except for the Secretary of Defense in war time.

Yeah, you get to travel to interesting places and meet interesting people. But the travel is probably brutal, and those interesting people all want to gain an advantage and grind you down.

I do have to say I was concerned the glib statements about military options against NK. I have no doubt that the American's would kick the crap out of NK. But there would be mass civilian casualties in the South because of that artillary belt, and I have no doubt that the NK's would use every civilian killing weapon in their arsenal on the way out.\

Also while I think that the American's would beat the Chinese in a straight up fight, I don't like the correlation of forces in Asia right now, plus it would become a real tinderbox for a showdown with the American's and probably NATO on one side and China and Russia on the other.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #6073
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Savings will become apparent when all the poor people are dead.
I don't think that's really all that far off the mark, considering the circumstances.

You just know when someone was explaining Meals on Wheels to him, Trump said "eff 'em, they can order in just like everyone else".

Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #6074
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Cue the roll-out of the "Trump Style Burnt Steak w/Ketchup on Wheels" franchises. Not only good for business owners, but replace those volunteers with American jobs!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #6075
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like Trump just denied Merkel a handshake.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #6076
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

I think the States are so different than provinces here in Canada. States suck at efficient management. As Dennis Miller said back before he became conservative, "States can't pave f****** roads." Plus, it can't possibly make sense to have fifty different state entities funding Meals on Wheels programs, especially since a lot of those programs are actually operated by groups that work in several states.

And in addition to being inefficient, many states are jerks to large parts of their own population. Hell, some of these states even started a war to keep large portions of their populations in slavery. We really want to rely on them to take care of people in need?

There are no transfers payments between States so only the federal government can do that between have and have-not states. So everything must be done at federal level. When politicians say "Give it to the states" they really mean cut it.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #6077
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joint presser coming up with Merkel and Trump. Get the popcorn out obviously. Also guaranteed he brings up Obama tapping her phone, and probably tries to use that as his "evidence" that he was tapped.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #6078
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 03-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #6079
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

holy crap that was...weird?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #6080
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Looks like Trump just denied Merkel a handshake.
Probably still better than going with thew surprise shoulder massage...
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers