Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #6021
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Around the League Report

Quote:
Connor looks like he has jetlag.
He probably had trouble sleeping last night after getting molested at the airport.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #6022
Knut

Exp:

Golf Course Report

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #6023
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Personally my favourite quote is this, from a (now-deleted) tweet:

Quote:
AHHHHHHHHHH WHAT I HATE EVERYTHING OMG NOOOOO

Old 05-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #6024
Bob Loblaw
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
It's really amazing that the high draft players from the 2009-13 era are all just hot garbage - Eberle, Hall (gone), Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov (gone), Nurse.
Still not one NHL playoff goal among any of those five players.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:07 AM   #6025
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...ath-greatness/

Gag. It didn't take long but already Spector is going on about how this was a necessary learning experience that will lead to greatness and the Oilers are like the Penguins from 10 years ago.

I am fearful we are a going to experience non stop talk this off season on how the Oilers have now learned what it takes to win in the playoffs and are a dynasty in the making. It's annoying because that was the opposite of what happened when Calgary made it to the 2nd round and lost to Anaheim. They weren't a future dynasty but were instead "unsustainable".

A more accurate view on the Oilers is that this season was their best chance at a cup with everything going their way and a weak Western conference. They won't be able to sustain their luck and goaltending next season and after that will be in cap hell.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #6026
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw that as well. I couldn't click on that hack troll's pent up diatribe void of critical thinking. Really, letting everyone blow smoke up their butt is exactly what they need so they ignore their teams warts & good fortune and double down. We should all now rave how great Draisatl is & getting him for $8.5 million a year will be a steal. Let the winds of delusion blow long & blow hard.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #6027
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I woke up this morning and something was different. The air smelled sweeter, birds were singing beautiful songs, my coffee tasted better than it has in weeks. It can mean only one thing, the Oilers have been eliminated from the playoffs.

Now I can watch the rest of the playoffs as a casual observer without wanting to gouge my eyes out.

Let's go Preds!!! Those fans deserve a big win.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #6028
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Headlines this morning:

CBC: "Oilers' magical run end after Ducks take Game 7"

they won one round

TSN: "Something special brewing for Oilers after Game 7 loss"

something special, now there's something I haven't heard being referenced to the Oilers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #6029
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Headlines this morning:

CBC: "Oilers' magical run end after Ducks take Game 7"

they won one round

TSN: "Something special brewing for Oilers after Game 7 loss"

something special, now there's something I haven't heard being referenced to the Oilers

TIL a trip to the 2nd round is magical.

Remember San Jose's run last year, where are they now?

Tampa's run the year before that?

The Rangers the year before that?

Get a grip media.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #6030
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Waking up to an Oilers playoff elimination is like hitting a homer with Kaley Cuoco on Christmas morning!

Thank you Ducks. Now.. lets go Preds!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #6031
rumy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

At $6 million for the next 2 years, and no production at all in these playoffs and much of the season, I wondering: do the Oilers not protect Eberle in the upcoming expansion draft? He looked like hot garbage throughout this playoffs; I can't think of any current team out there that would give up any tangible assets for 2 more years of that performance at $6 per. Las Vegas on the other hand may see some potential for a turn around, and money shouldn't be as much of a deterrent. The Oilers need to open up some cap space to re-sign Draisaitl & Russel (maybe Kassian) this offseason, and more importantly McDavid, Maroon (probably Letestu & Slepyshev) next offseason.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #6032
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty
In 3 yrs, Oilers will be playing Leafs in Cup final.

such a detestable organization
Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #6033
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it funny.

"They just couldnt get any secondary scoring from the guys who have been producing all season!"

What? Its almost like the regular season and the playoffs arent the same thing?!?

Granted, I can understand how the Oilers wouldnt know that...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 05-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #6034
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What else can you expect from the oiler controlled media. More fake news
Old 05-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #6035
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a Flames fan living in Edmonton, waking up today

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #6036
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I checked Twitter very tentatively this morning as I couldn't stay up to watch and lo and behold one of the first tweets was good ol' Connor saying 'we'll be back'. Wonderful to wake up to.

So much oiler fawning as well. They were outshot 281 to 211 over the series, average of 10 shots per game (no calculators or anything), Cam Talbot is legit and the reason they're anywhere near the conference final.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #6037
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The greatest concern Id have if I were cheering for the Oilers (aside from the vile stench following me) is the look on McDavid's face after the lottery. Kid so obviously wanted to play in an Eastern market, and Edmonton was probably the last place he wanted to end up. He seems like a good soldier and I'm sure he will do everything he can to win big in his time there. But what is his time there?

I can't believe he is going to take years off his UFA years to stay with the Oilers. Worse yet for the Oilers, the Leafs are building a good supporting cast that makes them an attractive UFA destination in a few years. My guess is McDavid hopes he can win a Cup in the next 4 years so he can leave Edmonton having giving them a big win. On the flip side, if he can't win there, he will have the rationale that they didn't enough to support him to win big, and he can go join forces with Shanahan, Matthews and Marner in Toronto. But in any case, I do believe Edmonton has a limited number of kicks at the can (4 more chances, to be exact) with him at the helm. Only McDavid knows for sure.

Next offseason, it would behoove the Leafs or another big market Eastern team to offer him a 3 year max contract, forcing Edmonton to match and allowing him to hit UFA at 25 in 2021 I believe. The tampering should be well underway already.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #6038
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty
In 3 yrs, Oilers will be playing Leafs in Cup final.

such a detestable organization
Calder Cup. Marlies vs. Condors
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #6039
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2macinnis2 View Post
The greatest concern Id have if I were cheering for the Oilers (aside from the vile stench following me) is the look on McDavid's face after the lottery. Kid so obviously wanted to play in an Eastern market, and Edmonton was probably the last place he wanted to end up. He seems like a good soldier and I'm sure he will do everything he can to win big in his time there. But what is his time there?

I can't believe he is going to take years off his UFA years to stay with the Oilers. Worse yet for the Oilers, the Leafs are building a good supporting cast that makes them an attractive UFA destination in a few years. My guess is McDavid hopes he can win a Cup in the next 4 years so he can leave Edmonton having giving them a big win. On the flip side, if he can't win there, he will have the rationale that they didn't enough to support him to win big, and he can go join forces with Shanahan, Matthews and Marner in Toronto. But in any case, I do believe Edmonton has a limited number of kicks at the can (4 more chances, to be exact) with him at the helm. Only McDavid knows for sure.

Next offseason, it would behoove the Leafs or another big market Eastern team to offer him a 3 year max contract, forcing Edmonton to match and allowing him to hit UFA at 25 in 2021 I believe. The tampering should be well underway already.
As much as I like McDavid to leave, I don't know how it would be to the Leafs. The Leafs would have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Andersen, and Rielly all on high dollar contracts. It's the downside of drafting high all the time in that you have to eventually pay your really good prospects or pick which ones you keep in order to field a competent team.

LChoy
Old 05-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #6040
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
As much as I like McDavid to leave, I don't know how it would be to the Leafs. The Leafs would have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Andersen, and Rielly all on high dollar contracts. It's the downside of drafting high all the time in that you have to eventually pay your really good prospects or pick which ones you keep in order to field a competent team.

LChoy
The cap won't stand in the Leafs' (or any team's) way when it comes to signing away McDavid. All those guys you mentioned have good value and could be easily flipped, so you could get good return for say Nylander.

You do what it takes if you have a possible shot at McDavid, period.
Closed Thread