Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2023, 11:15 AM   #5981
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, if you play a lot of Inglewood / Lynx Ridge / Valley Ridge that all looks pretty good. Would wait for the 2023 rates though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:17 AM   #5982
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

McKenzie Meadows, too, love that course. Anyone know when they typically release new rates? I'm assuming March-ish.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:21 AM   #5983
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It says "2023 rates available early-late February".

... So just... February then.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 11:59 AM   #5984
jayswin

Exp:

I'm going to start using that descriptor for everything, going forward. "I'll have that finished early - late Thursday".
Old 02-01-2023, 12:23 PM   #5985
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

My dad has used VIP golf for years and he's probably around 40 rounds each summer if I had to guess. I'm assuming he thinks it's worth it if he keeps coming back year after year. He is retired so he can take advantage of some of the deep discounts in Banff and Canmore on odd days.

All I'll say is that when we book something together, him as VIP and myself as non-VIP, it becomes a bit of a pain. Nothing you can't overcome of course, but it usually involves calling the proshop to sort it out rather than just simple online booking.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:23 PM   #5986
jayswin

Exp:

Just a heads up, a lot of those rates are actually already updated for 2023.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:30 PM   #5987
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Just a heads up, a lot of those rates are actually already updated for 2023.
VIP Golf usually sends out an email in early March confirming rates for the coming season.

I generally wait until then before looking for what's changed.

The year end event in Banff is not to be missed. That's the best time of year to play that course. Tee to green it's in the best shape you will see it. They pulled it forward one week so less likely to have to deal with a frost delay.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:58 AM   #5988
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solid day at Paiute Wolf in Vegas today. Played with 3 other great random partners in town for a urology conference. Played surprisingly well considering it’s the first time I’ve ever swung a club in February.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:23 PM   #5989
jayswin

Exp:

What's the best place to go through for booking a Kimberly area gold trip this summer?
Old 02-04-2023, 02:54 PM   #5990
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's the best place to go through for booking a Kimberly area gold trip this summer?
Just booked there for a golf trip this July. Just pieced it together myself with VRBO and booking 3 courses.

But Simply Kimberley offers some great packages for either 4 or 8 people with lodging, golf, and shuttle transport to and from the courses.

https://www.kimberley.com/golf-packages
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #5991
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Any recommendations for a mens league in the NW that doesn't require a membership at the course to join? IE: pay green fees every week to play men's night instead of an annual membership. Same question for interclub - any place that allows you to sign up without being a member at the club?

Lastly, any updates on the clubhouse vote/situation at The Winston? Price for a returning annual membership including GST is $6k - feels very expensive though I recognize it's inner city etc.

Thanks in advance
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #5992
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Any recommendations for a mens league in the NW that doesn't require a membership at the course to join? IE: pay green fees every week to play men's night instead of an annual membership. Same question for interclub - any place that allows you to sign up without being a member at the club?

Lastly, any updates on the clubhouse vote/situation at The Winston? Price for a returning annual membership including GST is $6k - feels very expensive though I recognize it's inner city etc.

Thanks in advance
More NE than NW but my Men's club plays Sundays at Mccall Lake with minimal club fee's and you pay for your tee time with the City.
https://sites.google.com/view/mccall...lub/home?pli=1
Good group, good prizes and it ensure's Sunday morning early times, from May to early September.
Gravitykillr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gravitykillr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 04:43 PM   #5993
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post

Thanks in advance
I’m not saying they’re colluding, but it’s interesting how a number of courses I know of all came to the same ~7% increase for 2023! In all seriousness though, costs are up everywhere, for everything, so of course golf clubs have to increase fees.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:07 PM   #5994
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’m not saying they’re colluding, but it’s interesting how a number of courses I know of all came to the same ~7% increase for 2023! In all seriousness though, costs are up everywhere, for everything, so of course golf clubs have to increase fees.
Will be interesting if courses raise green fees this year. It was pretty easy to get tee times last year unlike the 2 years before that. Not sure how much room the Calgary market has to accept higher green fees.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 07:37 PM   #5995
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Will be interesting if courses raise green fees this year. It was pretty easy to get tee times last year unlike the 2 years before that. Not sure how much room the Calgary market has to accept higher green fees.
Personally, some of the green fees around Calgary are outrageous. Like Blue Decil at $100+? Crazy. To me that course is “ok”. It’s not the worst, but it’s not like it’s a beautiful course. The cost is just too high. For that kind of fee you can play Inglewood, Sirocco, McKenzie Meadows and those are at least comparable if not much better.

And a little drive from the city gets you to some nice places with much better prices. Places like Turner Valley, Highwood, Nanton are all good tracks.

Golf has just gotten crazy in Calgary, and like you say, I wonder if the appetite is there for that kind of expense this year.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 01:08 AM   #5996
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, some of the green fees around Calgary are outrageous. Like Blue Decil at $100+? Crazy. To me that course is “ok”. It’s not the worst, but it’s not like it’s a beautiful course. The cost is just too high. For that kind of fee you can play Inglewood, Sirocco, McKenzie Meadows and those are at least comparable if not much better.

And a little drive from the city gets you to some nice places with much better prices. Places like Turner Valley, Highwood, Nanton are all good tracks.

Golf has just gotten crazy in Calgary, and like you say, I wonder if the appetite is there for that kind of expense this year.
Selfishly I hope that the hype of Covid hits some of these courses and we start to see some deals again, as I can't afford to pay $90-$120 in green fees/cart every week or even every other week. They were all quick to end any and all deals when golf was the thing to do when Covid hit, along with as many price increases as they could squeeze in.

I especially loved a place like HeatherGlen immediately instituting pay by credit card when you book like they're a high end course, because they could during Covid.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:10 AM   #5997
jayswin

Exp:

Golf is ridiculous in Calgary. I get that weather and shorter season plays a part, but it's so infuriating that Americans can go play mediocre to decent 18's for $30-$40 with cart in most major cities and we're stuck with glorified pitch and putts to pay under $50 a round with cart. (Hey, short on money and like golf, come to lakeview and hit 30-40 shots and call it a round!!).

Like you head out of the city at twilight and you're still $55-65 with cart. Just stupid.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-07-2023 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:49 AM   #5998
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Golf is ridiculous in Calgary. I get that weather and shorter season plays a part, but it's so infuriating that Americans can go play mediocre to decent 18's for $30-$40 with cart in most major cities and we're stuck with glorified pitch and putts to pay under $50 a round with cart. (Hey, short on money and like golf, come to lakeview and hit 30-40 shots and call it a round!!).

Like you head out of the city at twilight and you're still $55-65 with cart. Just stupid.
Where in the USA are you playing decent 18s with cart for $30-$40? Anywhere decent I have played is at least $70-80 which is a $100 CAD. And a lot of courses are more than that.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:02 AM   #5999
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a crazy wide range for public courses in the US. We live in a metro area about the size of Calgary, and can definitely find decent courses for under $50. Our two nicest public courses are a little over $100 US. Resort areas can go way over that and sometimes require staying at resort.

Private courses can be a much better deal. We have a family membership at an above average mid tier private course for $1000 initiation and full golf course/Swimming pool/Tennis access for the family for $450/month and play mostly year round.

There are $20k-$150k initiation clubs too, but the mid-tier private courses are quite good, so not much need to go there if you are not trying to impress your rich friends.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:06 AM   #6000
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

while i don't disagree with this, to me the tradeoff of paying more at the course versus driving is the extra cost of gas, wear and tear on your vehicle and how you value your time.

that being said, i personally think the right price for blue devil is $90 on weekend. i will say that for the past two years the course has been in good shape.

if i want to save some green fee money I'll drive out to serenity.

As a reminder, folks can also save a few bucks (i think the discount was ~10%) in Golf Calgary courses by purchasing their pre-paid green fee card

Quote:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow