Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #581
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am of an opposite view, Ducay - I love my igrille Mini - I leave it in my steak and then I know exactly when to flip it and when it's a few degrees away from my desired cooked-ness (ie: 60C for Medium). alarm goes off 6C before it's ready (10F) and I go out kill the heat and let the grill's heat take'er the rest of the way up to 60C and it's always perfectly medium...
It makes it easy to lazily cook a steak on a gas bbq in bad weather especially.

In the nice weather I stand there with my beer and pretend I am working so I can stand on my deck

I agree it's a waste of money at $80 for a dual-probe + gas grille - but if you can get the igrille for $20-30 on sale, I find it handy.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #582
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Lets see those BBQ results pics people!!!
With this

I made this...grain feed rib eyes from Second to None Meats

and this..I used the left over baked potatoes from the above meal and made lemon roasted potatoes.

AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AMG_G For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #583
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
For those who are interested, sign up for the thermoworks email to get notices about open box and "last year's colors" sales. The discount, for a thermapen, can be anywhere from a few dollars to around $30.

I love my thermapen...
FYI for those interested:

Just got an email stating that the British Racing Green thermapen is on sale for $79 (USD). Once they are gone, they are gone.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #584
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thermapen is unbelievable. Wouldn't use anything else.

As mentioned if you make a lot of indirect, low and slow smoking meals then something that measures grill temp instead of meat temp is helpful.

But if you're doing steaks and similar high and dry meats then the Thermapen is invaluable.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:08 PM   #585
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 05-15-2015, 02:10 AM   #586
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
bc-chris is Fred Flintstone!

Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #587
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

that steak would be yabba-dabba DELICIOUS!!
Old 05-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #588
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Is there a great BBQ cover? Something where the fabric is light and flexible rather than thick and heavy?
Old 05-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #589
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
What is everybody else gonna eat?
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #590
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone here use a smoker? I went to Kansas City a few years ago and had BBQ which changed my life. I plan on getting a smoker soon...
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #591
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Anyone here use a smoker? I went to Kansas City a few years ago and had BBQ which changed my life. I plan on getting a smoker soon...

do it - they are AMAZING!!!! i got mine last year and wish i would have bought it years earlier

smoked ribs...

smoked chicken....

smoked pork loin...

Last edited by bc-chris; 05-15-2015 at 08:01 PM.
bc-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bc-chris For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #592
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you use wood or charcoal? What model did you buy?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #593
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Do you use wood or charcoal? What model did you buy?
I would highly recommend a Big Green Egg if your budget allows. Keep in mind that is a replacement for your propane BBQ as well. A pellet smoker is not a full replacement, but is cheaper.

Green Egg will change your life. I use mine 3-5 times a week year round. Make everything on it. Burgers, Pizza, Ribs, Pulled Pork, Pork Loin, Wings, Roast Chicken, Corn Bread. Slow and low or high and hot, Green Egg does it all.

You can also look into a Kamodo Joe (sp?) or a Keg if your budget doesn't allow. I will tell you an egg is the best BBQ in the world hands down, and you won't use your propane again after that sweet hickory flavour hits you on a seared rib eye steak.

I should know my high end Weber is collecting dust the last 2 years.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #594
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I would highly recommend a Big Green Egg if your budget allows. Keep in mind that is a replacement for your propane BBQ as well. A pellet smoker is not a full replacement, but is cheaper.

Green Egg will change your life. I use mine 3-5 times a week year round. Make everything on it. Burgers, Pizza, Ribs, Pulled Pork, Pork Loin, Wings, Roast Chicken, Corn Bread. Slow and low or high and hot, Green Egg does it all.

You can also look into a Kamodo Joe (sp?) or a Keg if your budget doesn't allow. I will tell you an egg is the best BBQ in the world hands down, and you won't use your propane again after that sweet hickory flavour hits you on a seared rib eye steak.

I should know my high end Weber is collecting dust the last 2 years.
I was looking to get a BGE but the salesman at Barbecues Galore suggested the Broil King Keg, even though it's cheaper. The biggest selling point was that is supposed to be better insulated. So I bought one and I love it.

Now, maybe the Green Egg is better, but for the price I think the Keg is an amazing BBQ.

One accessory I bought for it is the BBQ Dragon. The Keg already gets hot very fast, but the Dragon makes if noticeably faster. It's not important if you're smoking something, but if you're cooking steaks or pizza and you're hungry, you'll be glad to got one.

http://www.bbqdragon.com/
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #595
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to buy a BGE, but went with the keg a few years ago as well. The cost savings was one thing, but the ceramic of the egg was a little scary as well because it can crack. The keg is pretty awesome and I use it a lot. I have made pizza on it many times and its just amazing. I find it holds a temperature really well, and I have cooked overnight a few times. My only issue is the difficulty in adding charcoal, if you need or want to. Apparently the new model has a grill that opens for that reason. I will probably buy a grill and try that, assuming it fits.

Otherwise, the design and everything else about that style of BBQ is just excellent. I would definitely recommend them.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #596
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I was looking to get a BGE but the salesman at Barbecues Galore suggested the Broil King Keg, even though it's cheaper. The biggest selling point was that is supposed to be better insulated. So I bought one and I love it.

Now, maybe the Green Egg is better, but for the price I think the Keg is an amazing BBQ.

One accessory I bought for it is the BBQ Dragon. The Keg already gets hot very fast, but the Dragon makes if noticeably faster. It's not important if you're smoking something, but if you're cooking steaks or pizza and you're hungry, you'll be glad to got one.

http://www.bbqdragon.com/
The BBQ dragon looks good. I have a looft lighter which is similar, and pretty good. Its corded though, and doesn't clamp. Similar idea, just a little different. Does that actually start the fire or just fan the flames once its going?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #597
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The BBQ dragon looks good. I have a looft lighter which is similar, and pretty good. Its corded though, and doesn't clamp. Similar idea, just a little different. Does that actually start the fire or just fan the flames once its going?
It doesn't have enough heat to start the fire. It just increases airflow.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #598
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny199r

i got the weber smokey mountain cooker smoker 22"

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/s.../smc-smoker-22

there are times when i wish i got a smaller one, but when doing big events it's awesome! i'm doing a windup party for my mens hockey team and i will be smoking ribs for the boys. i should be able to smoke 14 racks at the same time - so more than enough food for that crew!

it works with either wood or charcoal for a fuel, but i've only ever used charcoal. i read a bunch of stuff before getting it and wood was not recommended.

this is a great place to find stuff out: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Old 05-17-2015, 06:18 AM   #599
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

finally got around to getting a bbq for the house. Got the broil king signet 20.

Will be putting it together later. It's my first experience with a natural gas bbq. The gas line outside seems to have a cap/clamp on it but it's rusted over, might be tricky to get off. Any suggestions or things to be wary of when connecting a gas line in general?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #600
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone come across a natural gas connector hose longer than 10 feet? 12 feet would be ideal.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber