Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #581
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh shocking - I called the 1-800 number on that link to get info and that gateway deal and I get to someone in under a minute.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #582
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Terms and Conditions

*Shaw Gateway is included through the Shaw Easy Own hardware purchase program. You will obtain ownership of the purchased hardware immediately with the understanding you are required to pay Shaw for the hardware in 36 pre-authorized monthly installments, included in the $99.90 package. You also agree any outstanding balance on the purchased hardware is due in full and immediately payable to Shaw if Shaw Phone, Cable, and Internet Services are terminated. Additional terms and conditions will apply. †Offer availability and speed may vary by market. By subscribing to one of Shaw’s Broadband Internet packages, you opt in to the Bump-Up Program as described under New Broadband Plans at www.shaw.ca/Internet. ‡ Some calling restrictions may apply. ∆Offer subject to change and is available on approved credit. Offer applies to new customers only. Must not have subscribed to any Shaw service in the past 30 days. Prices shown do not include tax. Offer does not apply to: (i) additional phone features, hardware rental and premium channels; (ii) charges for services exceeding those contained in your Shaw Phone, Cable, and Internet Services plan; and (iii) any transactional charges including but not limited to Video On Demand and Pay Per View. Not all Shaw services are available in all regions. Channel and programming availability may vary by market. Equipment not purchased by your must be returned to Shaw if any of your services are cancelled. Shaw services are subject to our Terms of use located athttp://www.shaw.ca. Other terms and conditions may apply.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #583
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I've been a shaw customer for more than a decade now who debated about switching to Telus but held off.

So now this deal comes along and there's more HD channels than I currently get, faster internet than I currently have, and new gateway/portal system which I'd have to pay $700 for.... and all this for $25 cheaper a month than I currently pay.

But like Jawbone said, why reward loyalty? I'm calling shaw and telling them I'll cancel my services if they don't give me this deal...

I mean really what's to stop me from cancelling for a month and coming back.... I'm quite pissed right now.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #584
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm on hold right now, talked to a CSR and she said:

CSR: "oh well this is just the personal TV so you'd get less channels"

Me: "nope, it's more channels, better technology, faster internet, a better home phone for $35 a month cheaper than I'm currently paying for a crappier service... is this how you guys reward loyalty?"

CSR: "uhhhh... let me talk to my supervisor"
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #585
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I'm on hold right now, talked to a CSR and she said:

CSR: "oh well this is just the personal TV so you'd get less channels"

Me: "nope, it's more channels, better technology, faster internet, a better home phone for $35 a month cheaper than I'm currently paying for a crappier service... is this how you guys reward loyalty?"

CSR: "uhhhh... let me talk to my supervisor"
Really curious to see what they give you.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #586
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Because you've been with shaw for so long and never missed a bill payment we will honor this deal for you"

I'd recommend any existing shaw customer who pays their bills on time call in and raise hell.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #587
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

this may have just saved my services! Cheaper then telus and free gateway system!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #588
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I just went through hell with Shaw trying to get proper credits, install issues, etc. and they give me free Movie Central for a month for my troubles. Ugh, why didn't they offer me this package instead? I just called the supervisor I talked to in B.C. and left a message telling her I want this deal instead of MC or I'm leaving Shaw.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #589
Jawbone Hill
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
"Because you've been with shaw for so long and never missed a bill payment we will honor this deal for you"

I'd recommend any existing shaw customer who pays their bills on time call in and raise hell.
Nice work! I've been thinking of calling in too, but I am currently on their expiring Triple Play promotion they provided last year (I actually received that same speech from them when I got the promo). From what I've read on other forums, anyone who is on a current promotion has gotten nowhere with Shaw.

I don't mind switching to Telus as I'd been thinking about doing so already... it's just frustrating that a company like Shaw cares more about a brand new customer vs one that has provided years of loyalty. It's sad that the only way to keep your costs low is to flip-flop service providers every time a contract/promotion runs out. Unfortunately, I'm guess Shaw only tracks the number of 'new' customers, not the number of retained ones.
Jawbone Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #590
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I was on a promotional deal 2.5 years ago that saved me a bunch of money for a year but ever since that expired I've been up at the old rate.

When that promotional deal expired I called in to try and get it renewed and ran into a brick wall.

I imagine it helps that I've been a "regular" paying customer for the past year.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #591
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well I will be a canceling customer for 30 days and call back and get the promo if they don't give it to me. 30 days without shaw is no big deal since I have gone all summer. I can just steal internet from my neighbors and watch all the shows I would get on shaw 2 days later that way. Hockey season doesn't start till October what better time to cancel then now

Or better yet I will just get my wife to call and become a customer when I cancel mine
Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #592
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I tried calling again to get them to give me this same deal and the 1-888 number isn't working! haha.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #593
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

No dice for me - I guess 15 years isn't loyal enough or I don't have the persuasive voice. Anyway - I'm supposed to be called by retentions tomorrow. If I can't get it out of them then I'm going to switch to Telus.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #594
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

That $99 offer is a very good deal. The only thing it's really missing that I'd want is HBO, but there are always alternatives.

I'm currently on the last month of my triple-play retention deal. I'd renew with Shaw in a heartbeat for $99/month if I was eligible. Anyone know the expiry date? If I cancel to try and take advantage, do I have to wait a minimum amount of time before they'll give this to me?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #595
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
That $99 offer is a very good deal. The only thing it's really missing that I'd want is HBO, but there are always alternatives.

I'm currently on the last month of my triple-play retention deal. I'd renew with Shaw in a heartbeat for $99/month if I was eligible. Anyone know the expiry date? If I cancel to try and take advantage, do I have to wait a minimum amount of time before they'll give this to me?
For some reason 6 months seems to ring true for that. Don't know where I got that number from though. Be better to get someone else to sign up and just cancel your account. I dont think you could keep your phone number though.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #596
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
No dice for me - I guess 15 years isn't loyal enough or I don't have the persuasive voice. Anyway - I'm supposed to be called by retentions tomorrow. If I can't get it out of them then I'm going to switch to Telus.
Did they gave you a reason why you were "rejected"? I haven't been on any service or pricing promotion for at least a year which I assume helped. At the same time this was definitely not my first call into Shaw.

I was just calm and polite, but somewhat demanding on the phone. I was also quick to point out the differences in quality of what I'm currently on with what they were offering new customers and kept stressing how ridiculous it was to be paying more and being offered less.

Maybe I just got lucky.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #597
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Says new customer who haven't had services in last 30 days. I am waiting until shaw comes to fix my PVR then my wife is going to call in as a new customer using her old last name and sign us up then I will promptly cancel my current services and presto should have Gateway

∆Offer subject to change and is available on approved credit. Offer applies to new customers only. Must not have subscribed to any Shaw service in the past 30 days.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #598
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm ... I could go 30 days without Shaw, probably. It would suck not having high-speed internet, so I'd have to use tethering to stay online. Mostly I'd need something in the interim to keep my home phone number--don't want to lose it; it's rather nice.

When does the deal expire?

Edit: You know, you'd think you'd be able to reason with them by pointing out that it's a waste of everyone's time to have to cancel services, wait 30 days, then re-apply (all that time spent on the phone, various tech coming out to do disconnects/reconnects, etc.), and to just grant the damn deal and be done with it.

Last edited by Bob; 08-31-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #599
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am moving tomorrow and when I called for the move and asked if i could get the promo they said no. I am cancelling and my girlfriend is going to sign up for this promo.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #600
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those that are going to cancel Shaw consider picking up Telus for 1 month no contract. Then switch back. Might be a hassle but at least you will have TV, Phone and Internet....and who knows...maybe you will like it. If you don't want to lose your Shaw email address if you cancel you can move it to someone else's account.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote