Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #41
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If my laptop has a DVI out.. and I use a DVI to HDMI converter to plug it into my tv how do I get audio. My hdmi doesn't have any audio inputs associated with it... only my DVI slot does.

edit.. monoprice rules. I orderd tons of cables from there for super cheap... they were too short but thats my fault. Takes a little while to ship but for $ you save its well worth it.
@theCBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #42
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @theCBE View Post
If my laptop has a DVI out.. and I use a DVI to HDMI converter to plug it into my tv how do I get audio. My hdmi doesn't have any audio inputs associated with it... only my DVI slot does.
Most TVs I've seen (including mine) there is an HDMI input with a pair of analog audio in jacks. That is the usual way around your problem- not sure if they make a combiner cable; as the issue would be converting analog audio into digital; and it would take some sort of processer to accomplish that; like the type in a modern TV.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #43
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a receiver you can run it to? If not you should have some inputs on your TV that are for a generic L/R audio RCA jacks.

Should be able to just get a mini plug to RCA left/right audio and run that to the TV. That's how I've got mine setup.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #44
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Do you have a receiver you can run it to? If not you should have some inputs on your TV that are for a generic L/R audio RCA jacks.

Should be able to just get a mini plug to RCA left/right audio and run that to the TV. That's how I've got mine setup.
No receiver. I'll have to check out about the generic audio jacks. Its actually a TV I ordered from Dell (days of Dell sale) for my parents in Calgary, so I am only working on pictures that I downloaded online, judging from the pics it doesn't seem like it. Doesn't look like there are any analog audio inputs with the hdmi either. I guess its not a surprise as its not exactly a high end tv.
Asking my dad if it has any generic audio inputs would have the same result as asking him to explain to me how the hadron collider works. Absolutely useless with technology.

thanks for the advice though
Old 04-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #45
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know what kind of cables Bell uses to run from the dish to the boxes? is it cat6?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #46
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Does anyone know what kind of cables Bell uses to run from the dish to the boxes? is it cat6?
It's RG6 co-ax cable.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #47
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
It's RG6 co-ax cable.
Thanks. Any idea where I can buy it? Rona?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #48
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No receiver. I'll have to check out about the generic audio jacks. Its actually a TV I ordered from Dell (days of Dell sale) for my parents in Calgary, so I am only working on pictures that I downloaded online, judging from the pics it doesn't seem like it. Doesn't look like there are any analog audio inputs with the hdmi either. I guess its not a surprise as its not exactly a high end tv.
Asking my dad if it has any generic audio inputs would have the same result as asking him to explain to me how the hadron collider works. Absolutely useless with technology.

thanks for the advice though
My 6 year old Trinitron TV has RCA input jacks for audio... I mean most TV's should come with them just for hooking in a old school VCR. Before I got my big screen I had my computer audio hooked in through where a VCR would be plugged in.

Who knows, maybe Dell TV's are horribly basic but I'm betting there's at least one set.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #49
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably, even Walllmart carries it. Look for the more expensive kind with compressed fittings so you aren't up on the roof changing connections in the winter.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 AM   #50
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My 6 year old Trinitron TV has RCA input jacks for audio... I mean most TV's should come with them just for hooking in a old school VCR. Before I got my big screen I had my computer audio hooked in through where a VCR would be plugged in.

Who knows, maybe Dell TV's are horribly basic but I'm betting there's at least one set.
It has them .. but they are coupled with other video inputs (DVI or s-video) it just doesn't have them near the hdmi input. Does it not make any difference?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #51
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
As mentioned, anywhere will sell it. Just make sure you get RG6 and not RG59. If anybody tries to tell you it's the same- it isn't. Satellite requires the higher grade cable because there is also power running along the same cable.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #52
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It has them .. but they are coupled with other video inputs (DVI or s-video) it just doesn't have them near the hdmi input. Does it not make any difference?
Ahh right that's what I was forgetting. I ran an s-video to RCA video out on my computer to the TV... that's another way for him to hook the computer to the TV fyi, but yeah you probably need specific sounds jacks coupled with the HDMI hookup.

But it does seem really weird that if there's an HDMI input, there aren't associated sound jacks.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #53
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh right that's what I was forgetting. I ran an s-video to RCA video out on my computer to the TV... that's another way for him to hook the computer to the TV fyi, but yeah you probably need specific sounds jacks coupled with the HDMI hookup.

But it does seem really weird that if there's an HDMI input, there aren't associated sound jacks.
I've been doing some digging and apparently the audio jacks for the DVI double as the audio jacks for the HDMI... well according to CNET.com.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #54
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

I'm about to order a bunch of cables from monoprice, just wondering if anybody has come across any in town that I can pick up locally and therefore get soon that is even close to monoprice's prices ($3-$10 USD) for either a DVI-HDMI adapter or a DVI-HDMI cable.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #55
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

I'm about to order a bunch of cables from monoprice, just wondering if anybody has come across any in town that I can pick up locally and therefore get soon that is even close to monoprice's prices ($3-$10 USD) for either a DVI-HDMI adapter or a DVI-HDMI cable.
I think monoprice is still the way to go. I just picked up a dvi cable for me mac, took about a week to get delivered, and works great. I also have a dvi-HDMI cable from them that I have no problems with.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #56
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I've been waiting just over a week for my monoprice order, I'll let you know how it goes (Toslink switch, 2 optical and 2 coaxial cables ordered).
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #57
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zellers and RCSS have cheap HDMI cables. $10-$12 for six feet @ Zellers and RCSS. $22 for 12 feet @ Zellers. The Zellers ones are 1.3 certified.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #58
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

I may have one at home. I'll check- and send you info via PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #59
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been reading that Monoprice has had some service issues lately, things like delivering the wrong cables. but for the price they are still the go-to people.

If you need something quickly, have you checked to see what Alberta Cable has available?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #60
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ordered 3 HDMI Cables from monoprice Dec 23 and got them 1st week of Jan no problem. Love that company!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote