Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #41
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Paul Stastny 's contract will be a noose for the Blues after next season. They have to win this year or next year or their window closes for 3 years.

Iginla is an exceptionally conditioned athlete. His production is declining though at his age. Sort of shows why signing 30 year old players to 7 year contracts for high dollar numbers is a poor idea.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
LOL.... apparently whenever a team struggles, it's Iginla's fault.

The Avs are teeming with young talent that haven't put up good enough numbers this year. Plus, their defense is bad. That's why they suck.
Exactly this. Iginla leading their team in scoring is a problem, but its hardly his fault.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #43
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
For the Avs, they have young players that need the icetime and responsibility to develop - but instead that icetime has to go to Iginla first because of his Hall of Fame stature.
Iginla is 5th among Avs' forwards in TOI. His average is 17:47 per game. O'Reilly, Duchene, and Landeskog are all ahead of him. McKinnon is only 40 seconds behind, even though he's having a terrible sophomore year.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #44
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

This goes out to every single person who has ever posted a dumb Iginla comment on a message board.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #45
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
I remember when he led the NHL in scoring in '02... and also led the Flames to within a goal of the Stanley Cup in '04...
Those are things I remember.
I remember those days too when Iginla was 24 and 26 years old... when he was willing to play the way the coach wanted him to... when he was less set in his ways, when he wasn't so stubborn.

I know a lot of people on here won't admit it, but Iggy, as he got older had a "I'll do it my way" attitude... which, in my opinion, was a detriment to team's success for a lot of years.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #46
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No insults intended but to those saying the Avs are worse off with Iggy, and claiming his minutes are being spoon fed to him, all I can say is wow. He is leading the Avs in points and is a hell of a top 6 presence. Jarome leading the team in points does not mean he is canibalizing others minutes, nor does it mean his shadow is leaving younger players in the dark.

He's a great player and the Avs are barely missing the playoffs, he is certainly not the one too blame for that
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #47
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire in the disco View Post
He's a great player and the Avs are barely missing the playoffs, he is certainly not the one too blame for that
You could say the same thing about Joe Thornton who is another great player who just couldn't seem to get it done (win a cup) over the course of his career.

... but a lot of people do point the finger at Joe... just like they point the finger at Iginla.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #48
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Baer View Post
17 away from 600! What an accomplishment and amazing career!

Imagine if he didn't sit through 2 lockouts...
3 or 4 years ago some friends scoffed at me when I said he would reach 625 and pass Sakic for top 15 all time.

With at least 2-3 years remaining in his career he could have Andreychuks 640 in his sights.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #49
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Some of you speak of Iggy like an ex-wife that cheated on you.

He may not be the all-around player that everyone seems to want him to be but he is doing what he is getting paid to do and that's putting up points. Same thing he has done here for years.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #50
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Congrats to iggy! Unbelievable that he has a real shot at 30 goals once again this season. And next season he'll join the elite of the elite 600 goal club.

Too bad the young stars on that team didn't pull their weight this year. Hope he does the flames a solid and lights up the Canucks and kings.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #51
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I remember those days too when Iginla was 24 and 26 years old... when he was willing to play the way the coach wanted him to... when he was less set in his ways, when he wasn't so stubborn.

I know a lot of people on here won't admit it, but Iggy, as he got older had a "I'll do it my way" attitude... which, in my opinion, was a detriment to team's success for a lot of years.
There were a lot of things detrimental to the team's success. Iginla was not one of them. He did everything he possibly could to help the team win.

The single biggest problem the Flames had for years was the disastrous drafting and development system, the same system that left a void of good young talent coming in to help Iggy as he got older. That has finally been addressed and we are seeing the results.

The tendency by certain people to blame Iginla for the failings of that era of the team reminds me a lot of how Vancouver fans generally act towards their players.

I just hope the people that have that big of a problem with Iggy choose to STFU and stay home the night the Flames retire his jersey.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 03-21-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #52
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Some of you speak of Iggy like an ex-wife that cheated on you.
Couldn't have said it better myself
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #53
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Iginla is 5th among Avs' forwards in TOI. His average is 17:47 per game. O'Reilly, Duchene, and Landeskog are all ahead of him. McKinnon is only 40 seconds behind, even though he's having a terrible sophomore year.
1stLand is just trolling, as usual. Don't waste your time responding to him.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #54
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The fact that Iggy is leading the Avs in points, or that he's on the team in general has nothing to do with their season. Last year they rode a blazing hot Varlamov that helped mask the awful defense. Also they played a very different, junior type defense strategy that alot of teams couldn't adapt to. Along with losing Stastny they lost PAP and Downie. So in total this year teams knew how to match their defensive strategy, Varlamov wasn't blazing hot all year (had some injury issues also), and lost alot of their forward depth which last year helped them offset their terrible defense. That's why they're struggling, Iginla is what he is, a slow one dimensional goal scorer.
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #55
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
1stLand is just trolling, as usual. Don't waste your time responding to him.
I think the proper response to any 1stLand post is "lol".
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Antithesis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #56
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
There were a lot of things detrimental to the team's success.
I agree.
Quote:
Iginla was not one of them.
I disagree.

Quote:
He did everything he possibly could to help the team win.
Points wise... yes. Leadership.. no. He was a good leader, just not a great leader. A great leader would have put his own ego aside and played whatever way the coach wanted him to.

Quote:
The single biggest problem the Flames had for years was the disastrous drafting and development system, the same system that left a void of good young talent coming in to help Iggy as he got older. That has finally been addressed and we are seeing the results.
I agree.

Quote:
The tendency by certain people to blame Iginla for the failings of that era of the team reminds me a lot of how Vancouver fans generally act towards their players.
I don't think so. It just means they occasionally take off their rose colored glasses.

Quote:
I just hope the people that have that big of a problem with Iggy choose to STFU and stay home the night the Flames retire his jersey.
I hope not. I love Iggy. But that doesn't mean I can't see his worts. BTW, I don't think the Flames will ever retire his jersey, even though, out of all the Flames players in history, it most deservedly deserves to be retired.. He will instead, become a "Forever a Flame". What a pile of hogwash that is... but that's a different argument altogether.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #57
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How do you know he had that attitude?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #58
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Screw the haters. Kreep it up Iggy!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #59
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Points wise... yes. Leadership.. no. He was a good leader, just not a great leader. A great leader would have put his own ego aside and played whatever way the coach wanted him to.
I see this stated a lot, and I'm just not sure I agree that its true that Iggy became a me first player, focused on points and openly ignorant of the defensive side of the game or his coaches wishes. He probably was as declining as an all around player, I will say that, but I think thats more a function of aging.

Let's face it, the primary duration of play we're talking about is the Brent Sutter era. Who in my mind, was the worst coach in Flames history. I just think that was a dysfunctional team all around, I don't think Brent had any of the players buying into what he was selling, none of them enjoyed it, and the results speak for themselves. Most of the good players under his "system" suffered greatly, had some of their worst years in the league.

The guy took a perennial playoff team, told them they weren't able to score on the rush, tried to fit square pegs in round holes, and the team floundered under a brutal suffocating culture of misery.

And yet...Iggy STILL produced, STILL led the way, and STILL maintained class throughout the entire ordeal.

That's leadership.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #60
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
How do you know he had that attitude?
Because I watched the way he played for the last 4 years. Iginla's style of play was a model of consistency no matter what kind of the system (right or wrong) that the coach would try to implement. Sure Iggy would buy into what the coach was saying for a few games but he'd always revert back to playing the way he was most comfortable with. ... and sure enough since Iggy was the team leader, the way Iggy played was the way the team played.
Even Hartley couldn't change him.