Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #41
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Some place that will give you an employee discount.

Princess Auto does that... but forget about those cheap buggers at Home Depot. Their employees get zilch.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #42
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #43
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great thread polak I've recently been thinking about this as well. I'm trying to make some extra cash for a downpayment.

What can you make as a pizza delivery driver in a night? I've got weekends free.

I'll also look into doing some bartending work which would be more fun and social.
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #44
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
If you would like to scorekeep for an adult hockey league let me know... I can get you hooked up. It might only be a single game a night but 25 bucks for 1hr and 15 min of just sitting there is nice.
And I'll tip you for phantom assists!!
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #45
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ever considered reffing hockey games?

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #46
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pizza delivery might work. Check at some hotels as well since it's xmas party season. Maybe even work a coat check.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #47
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure what sort of skills you have, but for years I worked as a Continuing Education (night class) Instructor as a second job at SAIT. Pays well, and I had tons of fun.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #48
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
One thing I remember from having a second job was I really has to pay at income tax time. It was someting about claiming the basic claim twice so even though I was paying income tax from both jobs, it wasn't nearly enough. It was about 15 yr's ago and I don't remember all the details but I has to pay around $500 come income tax time. I went the next day and started to get extra tax taken off at both jobs. There has to be tax guys on here who can explain a little better, but something to keep in mind when filling out the initla paper work.

I would also look towards a serving job, tips are huge in the restraunt industry. There is a good feeling that comes with going home each night with $150 bucks in your pocket.
You should never want to receive an income tax refund upon filing your taxes. That means the government was allowed to use your money for free. If you have to pay $500 upon filing, that means you were allowed to use the government's money for free. Instead of having increased taxes taken off of your pay cheques, you should be finding ways (RRSP contributions, T1213 forms, etc.) to have reduced taxes taken at the source.

You are allowed the personal exemption once per calendar year, which will show up on your income tax returns. When you start a new job you will fill out a TD1 and TD1AB. The basic personal amount is the first line on both forms. On the back page of both forms there is a section that says if you have more than one employer at the same time, you cannot claim personal tax credits that you have already claimed. If this is the case, you enter in 0 for your credits on the front page of both.

Serving is a great job, but don't think you (especially as a male) can just walk into any restaurant/bar and get a job making $150 per night in tips. I've worked at places where I did make this type of money, but they don't give those shifts/positions/sections to guys right off the street. You have to work your way up, and if this is only a short term job, it's unlikely he'd get to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #49
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFlamesFan View Post
Great thread polak I've recently been thinking about this as well. I'm trying to make some extra cash for a downpayment.

What can you make as a pizza delivery driver in a night? I've got weekends free.

I'll also look into doing some bartending work which would be more fun and social.
Pizza delivery paid around $100-$200 a night for 4-6 hours of work. It was epic. Depends on who you drive for though. Most places don't pay an hourly wage and just give you a certain amount per delivery plus you keep your tips. The positive side of that is that you just drive and don't have to worry about helping out around the kitchen.

The place I worked for in University paid me $8 an hour ON TOP of the 1.25 I made per delivery and the tips. Most places pay more per delivery though since they dont do the hourly wage. I think my buddy made $2.50 a delivery at Pizza hut. If you think about it, on an average night I had 20-25 deliveries (sometimes more, sometimes less). So at a place like Pizza Hut which is more common then a place like I worked at, you would make around $50 for the deliveries a day, then add your tips which averaged out to around $3-5 per delivery but then you also had the few people that tipped above average so getting a $10, $15 sometimes even $20 tip on one delivery wasn't all that uncommon. That was great job. Some days you really made off like a bandit (my record was $250 in four hours) and days where you made less than $100 in a shift were really rare. Only drawbacks are that a) You can't make mistakes or they will just straight up fire you b) A speeding ticket means your basically working for free that day and c) Your car will smell like pizza for weeks after you stop.

On a side note sort of related to this thread: I just got a 2nd interview for a job I applied for before my accident so hopefully the raise I would get from this job should I be successful, will cancel out the need for a second job. We shall see

Last edited by polak; 11-18-2014 at 12:06 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #50
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Do you know programming ? There are some freelancing projects floating around
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #51
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Mall santa?
My buddy was a mall Santa for years. He looked like Santa, everyday. He was working up at the Lonsdale Quay a few Christmas's ago but he got fired. He fell asleep on the job and the little kids thought he was dead because no one was able to wake him up for 30 or 40 minutes. It caused quite the commotion among the wee ones.

I have been looking into some event planners/setup companies like Proshow or 365 productions. They do AV setups for concerts, presentations what have you. Companies in Calgary might be looking for extra help this time of year.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

So?

Update?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #53
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
So?

Update?
Had three strong interviews for a job that would be a $5000 - $10000 a year raise and the friend who referred me for the position said I impressed them and that she's "optimistic" I'll see an offer soon so I'm holding of on this 2nd job hunt until I find out what comes of that and what my salary and hours will be if I do get it.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #54
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
My buddy was a mall Santa for years. He looked like Santa, everyday. He was working up at the Lonsdale Quay a few Christmas's ago but he got fired. He fell asleep on the job and the little kids thought he was dead because no one was able to wake him up for 30 or 40 minutes. It caused quite the commotion among the wee ones.

I have been looking into some event planners/setup companies like Proshow or 365 productions. They do AV setups for concerts, presentations what have you. Companies in Calgary might be looking for extra help this time of year.
I don't know why I burst out laughing reading about your buddy falling asleep as the mall santa.. hahaha
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #55
parch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I finally decided to bite the bullet myself and got a second job this summer as well. I started working part time at Starbucks in August and I actually love it! It's not the best pay, but it's better than nothing, and I needed something flexible because I work shift work at my day job, and Starbucks worked out perfectly. It's relatively stress free and easy and monotonous, and I actually find it to be a lot of fun! You can basically work as many or as few hours a week as you want, they're super flexible and accommodating with the schedule, and even working part time you can still get benefits. The free/discounted coffee is a huge perk too and comes in very handy when working 13 hours a day!
parch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to parch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #56
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
I don't know why I burst out laughing reading about your buddy falling asleep as the mall santa.. hahaha
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #57
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nm
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #58
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Ever considered reffing hockey games?
Second this. If you can skate and love the game it's a great way to make extra money. I used to make about $800-1000 a month calling games. That was a mix of both beer league (usually $50 a game) and minor hockey (varying) I dropped beer league after a while despite it paying more it did not give me the same satisfaction.

You gotta have thick skin and really really love the game to be at the rink that much. I still love it ...
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote