Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #41
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
If I don't care about HF and write them off as amateurs when they ranked the Flames low, can I suddenly put a lot of stock in their valuation when they rank the Flames high?

(that was rhetorical)
Looking back though, we haven't graduated many players from those lowly rated prospect pools, so they were probably right. Obviously, TJ Brodie and Michael Backlund have worked out but not too many others.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #42
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Which makes our list all the more funny with Jooris way down in 35th!

<list>

Honestly tells me to be a little wary of Jooris and his burst ... doesn't really add up. I think he's an NHLer now, but not a 60 point player.
Yeah, we underestimated Jooris, that's for sure. Happens though - some guys over-shoot their expected ceiling. Nice to get one of those.

But yeah, I hope no one is hoping for a 60 point guy - I think he is going to make a good bottom sixer, much like Bouma. And that's great!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jooris and Byron are similar - lots of steady good work, and the occaisonal game with a couple points as a result. The fact Jooris is bigger while still being fast, and seems to handle himself in the faceoff dot pretty well bodes well, though.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #44
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Which makes our list all the more funny with Jooris way down in 35th!

Honestly tells me to be a little wary of Jooris and his burst ... doesn't really add up. I think he's an NHLer now, but not a 60 point player.
Sometimes though a guy is just a late bloomer - and no stats or ranking are going to help you with that.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #45
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For those that are following Addy, is the mention of Sena Acolatse warranted? It seems like Hickey might have been a bigger add on D over the summer. Happy if he has a chance, but I haven't heard much, good or bad.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #46
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the list of how we ranked our prospects just shows us how subjective these rankings really are. I mean, we as a fan base ranked Josh Jooris number 35, and we pay really close attention to this team. Things change and these rankings really mean nothing, as it is too hard to predict how certain players are going to turn out. However, I will say that our forward prospect pool could be argued to be the best in the league. If not the best, then at least very comparable to Buffalo's. However, our Defence pool I think is really lacking. Wotherspoon may be turn out to be a good top 3/4 guy, but no prospect yet has shown promise of being a good 1/2 guy. I am surprised quite frankly that we got ranked so highly.
MyFlamesFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #47
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Detroit in the top 5? I wish they would just go away for a while.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #48
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd say we have the #2 ranked forward prospect pool, if not the best. Our depth is unbelievable, as demonstrated by how we've decimated our farm team roster and are still maintaining a high level of play with the prospects filling in here, as well as in Adirondack, relying on players not named Baertschi, Ferland, Reinhart, or Granlund. We have a LOT of future NHLers here, far more than most teams.

The defence however I'd put in the 15-20 range, as it could be much improved on, and we didn't address it in the 2nd or 3rd rounds after drafting Bennett this past draft, which I still kind of think we should have. But we're making do with what we have. Wotherspoon has potential to be a solid second pairing man, and Sieloff, Kulak and Culkin all have potential as bottom pairing guys. So there's some good prospects still, but nothing high end.

Goaltending maybe cracks the top 10. Gillies and Ortio have great potential and could be starters down the road if they continue to develop. MacDonald was also very highly regarded by scouts. I don't know that you need much more depth than that, tbqh.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #49
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

The defence however I'd put in the 15-20 range, as it could be much improved on, and we didn't address it in the 2nd or 3rd rounds after drafting Bennett this past draft, which I still kind of think we should have. But we're making do with what we have. Wotherspoon has potential to be a solid second pairing man, and Sieloff, Kulak and Culkin all have potential as bottom pairing guys. So there's some good prospects still, but nothing high end.
Don't forget about Raflikov - he could be a jewel in the rough.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #50
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone following adirondack know how Wotherspoon has looked so far this year? Would he be the first defenseman called up if needed based on his play this season?
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #51
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Anyone following adirondack know how Wotherspoon has looked so far this year? Would he be the first defenseman called up if needed based on his play this season?

Wotherspoon is pretty much "Mr. Reliable" for the AHL Flames. Any situation, he's there. Smart plays. Huge minutes (this is where TOI would be nice but I'd say he's out there around the 25 min mark a night). It seems like he's Huska's go to Defenceman right now, and deservedly so. It's rare to see a stupid play or guy beating him cleanly.

I would think he would be 1st call up. Small chance Ryan Culkin whose also having a great season could get the first call as a reward/motivation for his play, but Wotherspoon really should be 1st.

Sieloff has shaken off the rust pretty quickly as well. He's had a few memorable defensive plays. Hopefully he stays healthy and gets a full year in the AHL and perhaps next year he's in the NHL conversation.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #52
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Jooris and Byron are similar - lots of steady good work, and the occaisonal game with a couple points as a result. The fact Jooris is bigger while still being fast, and seems to handle himself in the faceoff dot pretty well bodes well, though.
Also he's a right handed shot, which is fortunate because we don't have a lot of those. I believe Hunter Smith is the only other RH forward prospect in the system at the moment
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #53
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Also he's a right handed shot, which is fortunate because we don't have a lot of those. I believe Hunter Smith is the only other RH forward prospect in the system at the moment
Tim Harrison
Bill Arnold
Corban Knight
Austin Carroll
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:

Tags
hockeyfuture , prospects , ranking