Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #41
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Angry old white guy made an appearance at this. Freaking idiot.

https://twitter.com/cbccalgary/statu...67865094950912
Certainly he doesn't wear that wood cutting plaid jacket in his Mercedes? What an uncouth slob.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #42
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Certainly he doesn't wear that wood cutting plaid jacket in his Mercedes? What an uncouth slob.
Actually, in my experience many rich old people dress like downscale Walmart greeters. A lot of these misers got rich by hoarding every penny their whole life. They're not about to splash out on a $100 jacket from Sears when they could get something that keeps them just as warm from Winners for $35.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #43
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The pipelines 'could, be an issue. The pipelines in question would fall under CDs z662 meaning that if they go under roads they require an additional design allowance so the wall thickness of the pipelines would have to be thicker.

An alternative to this would be to install casings around the pipelines which would be expensive to do after the fact.

So it really depends on how the initial lines were designed if the pipeline are an issue or not. But worst case it just adds cost to the project.
If you really had to, could you not slab it?

But is this even an issue? An articulated bus is ~45,000 lbs, about the same weight as a semi trailer. From what I can tell here, there are no weight restrictions on 14th meaning heavy trucks drive 14th all the time.

So... fear mongering?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #44
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
So is anyone under the age of 75 opposed to this project?
Good chance I'm mistaken on 75, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I went a few pages back and did not see a mention of this. The SW BRT is going ahead with construction starting this year. I am wondering what lunatics thought it would be a good idea to feed more lanes into the already congested 14th Street/Glenmore interchange? What is the purpose of the BRT - whom does it serve that is not already served by the existing transit system? Who is the primary political force behind this (i.e. to whose opponent in the next election should I be making donations)?
Thanks.
Quote:
It's very naive to think that people will actually pack their 2 kids onto a bus to go to HP - just never happening. But that's irrelevant - I think the main concern is the Glenmore/14 Street interchange, which will be even more of a PITA with 2 extra lanes feeding into it and buses that will have the right of way.
Go rich people! Why should I put up with 5 years of inconvenience so some MRU student can take one bus to school instead of two?
Quote:
Yes, yes - that is fine in theory, but it all feeds into the existing and not expanding 14th Street/Glenmore off-ramp which becomes even more of a cluster**** than it already is.
And strictly from my selfish POV, getting out of my neighbourhood and going anywhere is going to be miserable for years, unless I take a major detour. So, **** the MRU students.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #45
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
If you really had to, could you not slab it?

But is this even an issue? An articulated bus is ~45,000 lbs, about the same weight as a semi trailer. From what I can tell here, there are no weight restrictions on 14th meaning heavy trucks drive 14th all the time.

So... fear mongering?
It depends if the pipe is under the road right now or not? If it isn't under the road right now it wouldn't have to be designed for crossing traffic.

Yes you could slab the whole thing but it would more than double the cost of the project. It's a reasonable question to ask and the project engineers should be able to provide an immediate and credible answer to the concern.

The way he's doing it is fear mongering but I would like an answer to the question of has impacts to the pipeline design been considered in the estimate for this project. I've seen it missed before in stuff I've worked on.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #46
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...%3D4iO6TfQkA_r

Quote:
Tom Spenceley said city officials didn't advertise the earlier engagement sessions well enough and once he got a look at the plans he had serious concerns over a lack of parking for people who want to drive to rapid-transit stations and catch the bus.

"The response is from the city that all people are expected to use the nature trails and the pathway systems to get there," Spenceley said.

"So what have you done? You've just eliminated half the planet from ever getting on that bus, because no woman – self-respecting or otherwise – is going to get on a nature trail to go to a bus."
"Angry old guys" might be the sleeper comedy hit of 2016!
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #47
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take the 13 route through Mount Royal every day and there are people getting on / off in t community at almost every bus stop. Their Mercedes' must all be in the shop simultaneously.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #48
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having read the articles, and the videos within, what an absolutely embarrassing group of Nimby's.

Entitled, angry, old white guy is absolutely the demographic opposed.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #49
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
More regular and accessible public transit brings with it theives, rapists, and murderers to your doorstep on diesel powered war wagons. You will hear no birds singing, no children playing because of the roar of 9L engines hurtling down the street at speeds up to 80km/hr. Exhaust will blot out the sun! BRT stations will see the undesirable masses congregate and begin exchanging ideas. While the proletariat watches people in their Mercedes-Benz drive past while they wait for the bus they will wonder how such inequality can persist. They work hard, yet are left with relatively little. Seeing their numbers at these BRT stations they will realize they truly control the means of production and the profits that purchased that Mercedes are merely the stolen wages of the working class being paraded by them daily in a sick display of decadent greed! They will rise up, pushing back against the foot of the bourgeoisie they have been under for long enough. As the fires burn and the flag of the revolution is raised high amidst the purge of the capitalist oppressors, you will likely see a subsequent decline in property values.

TL;DR - NIMBYs believe the only people who would want to use a more efficient public transit system are criminals looking for an easier way to your neighborhood to steal your car and ignore the fact that more efficient public transit will reduce traffic and therefore noise.
Funny, there's about 5-6 old timers with Mercedes in the complex I live in and they're against the project
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #50
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I take the 13 route through Mount Royal every day and there are people getting on / off in t community at almost every bus stop. Their Mercedes' must all be in the shop simultaneously.
People parking in the neighborhoods around Rockyview, despite having zero business there, is an issue already. This is despite it being permit parking.

If this happens, the city needs to crack down on people using the neighborhoods as parking lots.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #51
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
It's like something out of Parks and Rec...
Haha I had the exact same thought when I saw it. Public servants who have to go to community hall meetings like that must've gotten an extra kick out of the ridiculous town hall meeting scenes on P&R. Probably exactly what it feels like from their perspective.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
People parking in the neighborhoods around Rockyview, despite having zero business there, is an issue already. This is despite it being permit parking.

If this happens, the city needs to crack down on people using the neighborhoods as parking lots.
Might not be such an issue if Alberta Health hadn't outsource hospital parking resulting in extortionary rates. But that's a different discussion....
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #53
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the project is good. I take the bus somewhat regularly and the busses should remove people from the road, which will make my Mercedes days more enjoyable. Also it will make the LRT less busy, at least in theory.

At the same time, I do foresee that the parking issue will be a challenge, as any woman - self respecting or otherwise - who has tried to park in Glenmore landing knows it is quite full typically and this will serve to make that worse. I don't think legitimate customers of those businesses should have to shop somewhere else while a commuter parks in front of the Safeway all day.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #54
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Good chance I'm mistaken on 75, but:
I am open to being convinced otherwise if the personal discomfort to me is proven to be minimal. You will all find as you age that your personal comfort will increase in importance, and your "give a ****" factor about others' transportation concerns will decrease proportionally.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #55
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am open to being convinced otherwise if the personal discomfort to me is proven to be minimal. You will all find as you age that your personal comfort will increase in importance, and your "give a ****" factor about others' transportation concerns will decrease proportionally.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #56
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
At the same time, I do foresee that the parking issue will be a challenge, as any woman - self respecting or otherwise - who has tried to park in Glenmore landing knows it is quite full typically and this will serve to make that worse. I don't think legitimate customers of those businesses should have to shop somewhere else while a commuter parks in front of the Safeway all day.
That's the first vaguely legitimate issue I've seen raised about the BRT. Not sure how much of a big deal it is, though. Southcentre has security guards who ticket cars that park there all day to use the LRT station. I don't see why Glenmore Landing couldn't do the same. And how many people are going to drive to Glenmore Landing and then hop on the bus anyway? If you're taking the bus to Mount Royal University it's because you don't have a car in the first place.

And really, the best solution for the parking issue at Glenmore Landing is for shoppers who live within a few blocks (which has to be most) to get off their lazy asses and walk.

Quote:

Which is why we should shunt people out into rural communities when they become old and anti-social. Want to live in splendid isolation without concerning yourself with other people? Move to an acreage.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #57
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nimby isn't a Calgary specific problem. You want to see a clown show, you should follow the LRT story in Ottawa. Absolute gongshow. My sister-in-law lives in one of the communities on the route, and when I was there last summer, there was borderline riots.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #58
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hadn't been to my parents in house in Bayview for a while but going there on the weeknd there were a lot of anti-BRT lawn signs. Pretty funny. I wish people would just straight up say they don't want to put up with contruction instead of the disingenious arguments they use.

As a general rule I despise NIMBYism, but I think it's unfair to put this all on "rich white people" in Bayview or Pumphill, everyone everywhere does it. The knob hill or whatever community association was all up in arms about a much need Crowchild-Bow Trail expansion and said their solution was for more people to take the train. I laugh everytime I read an opinion to the paper about someone in the Northeast complaining about airplane noise.

If you want the convenience of living in a big city next to your job and all the amenities that come with it you have to accept that a city is not static and things will change. Other people sacrificed their homes (Glenmore expansion, etc) for the city to accomodate 1 million people and now you have to sacrifice too. Or like someone said, move out to the country.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #59
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I think the project is good. I take the bus somewhat regularly and the busses should remove people from the road, which will make my Mercedes days more enjoyable. Also it will make the LRT less busy, at least in theory.

The owner of Glenmore Landing will be ticketing and towing those people in short order. As you say, that place is chronically short on parking, and they aren't going to idly stand by and let people keep legitimate customers away from their businesses.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #60
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...%3D4iO6TfQkA_r

"Angry old guys" might be the sleeper comedy hit of 2016!
Sidewalks...you know those things that are only there to keep your Mercedes from coming up on the lawn.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote