Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #41
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random poster from another site.

Quote:
The problem is this teams bottom of the roster is filled with players who can’t shoot the puck all that well. Players on this team with three goals or less include 3 (Brodie, Brouwer), 2 (Hathaway, Stone), 1 (Hamonic, Stajan), 0 (Kulak, Lazar). That’s 44% of our starting players who continuously go more than 10-12+ games without scoring, every time.

The craziest thing is Andrew Mangiapane has 16 goals for Stockton (those 8 players have 11 goals combined) and he hasn’t seen anything outside of fourth line minutes with the big club, playing with two players who couldn’t hit water on an island in Stajan and Lazar. Having one or two of Brouwer, Stajan, Lazar, Stone, Hamonic, Hathaway is fine on it’s own, but when you have that many of them, it becomes a major problem.

I’ve followed analytics now for a few years and I truly believe shooting percentages this low should regress back up to the mean (as historically it almost always happens), but if any team is going to defy this from happening it’s this team. Even players who I like, like Backlund, Brodie, Bennett aren’t that great of shooters, which again is fine if you can offset it with other players who can shoot the puck, but when the bottom of your roster is loaded with guys who just flat out can’t score, it becomes a major problem.

I’m finished pretending like this is a major coincidence of epic proportions, because this script has happened far too often this year.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #42
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we lose this game I'm done for the season. Sick of this Jekyll and Hyde bull####. That and this team is as fun to watch as a bad case of Crabs.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #43
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's Dave Cameron working hard at figuring out new PP tactics.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #44
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

*******BREAKING NEWS!!!!*******

This just in from Rogers Place/The Sweatpantry!

That Darn Puppet and Scorch have been spotted in the Oilers' dressing room, where the Tide Pod Challenge appears to be in full swing:

Spoiler!

Go Flames

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #45
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish our powerplay looked that good.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #46
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
If we lose this game I'm done for the season. Sick of this Jekyll and Hyde bull####. That and this team is as fun to watch as a bad case of Crabs.
We need to start holding people like this accountable. You would seriously quit on the season based on one game in the middle of the year? You'll be back next week I bet
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahahahaha! Tide Pods! The Scourge of our times! Thanks Puppet!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #48
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They obviously haven't been great the last three games, but they haven't been brutal either.

They're not going to keep scoring at a 3.25 per cent clip. That's unsustainably low. It'll get better. I'm still not sure the team is really good enough to make the playoffs, but I don't think it's time to panic.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #49
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
We need to start holding people like this accountable. You would seriously quit on the season based on one game in the middle of the year? You'll be back next week I bet
The day we take peoples internet threats like that seriously is the day I don't want to be apart of this.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 01-25-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #50
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My life does not revolve around the flames lol. Wouldn't be a problem. This has been one of the most frustrating flames teams to watch this year imo. Also losing 7 in row to that toilet team up north is unacceptable.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #51
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Flames slumping means getting points in 3 straight, I will take it I suppose. The team was good last night, but the puck just isn't going in. That will change
Old 01-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #52
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My life does not revolve around the flames lol. Wouldn't be a problem. This has been one of the most frustrating flames teams to watch this year.
It sound like you get pretty emotionally invested if you make one game an ultimatum. I prefer this over the years in this decade where you knew there was no hope at the playoffs and were seeing how many first rounders we could have and who we could get in the top five.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #53
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My life does not revolve around the flames lol. Wouldn't be a problem. This has been one of the most frustrating flames teams to watch this year imo. Also losing 7 in row to that toilet team up north is unacceptable.
Let me guess. It revolved around the Canucks until they became a non-playoff farce, so you jumped on the Calgary bandwagon? Typical Vancouver fair weather fan.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #54
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It sound like you get pretty emotionally invested if you make one game an ultimatum. I prefer this over the years in this decade where you knew there was no hope at the playoffs and were seeing how many first rounders we could have and who we could get in the top five.
I have a pretty busy life so most of the games I watch are pvr'd so usually i sacrifice sleep for me to watch them. After a lack luster performance and espeicially after a few beers feels like I've wasted my time.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #55
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the Flames slumping means getting points in 3 straight, I will take it I suppose. The team was good last night, but the puck just isn't going in. That will change
The problem is thats just treading water.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #56
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The problem is thats just treading water.
Agreed, but most teams go through a couple slumps during the year and I would rather tread water I suppose than sink during the bad times. Maybe I am too positive.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #57
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Like to see these forward lines for tonight

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Bennett
Brouwer - Backlund - Hathaway
Hrivik -Lazar - Mangiapane
Stajan has been pretty good lately. Not sure why he would sit this one out.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed, but most teams go through a couple slumps during the year and I would rather tread water I suppose than sink during the bad times. Maybe I am too positive.
No doubt, but we're at the point where we're in dogfight with a half-dozen teams right now and while we're treading they're gaining ground and 3-point games against direct competition (LA) dont help.

Take tonight for example, if it goes to OT/SO against the Oilers it doesnt matter because they're done, but those 3-point games against our direct competitors are brutal.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #59
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Been a flames fan longer than you've been alive there. I'm a born and raised Vancouverite but I've never cheered for the nucks. Ive always been a flames fan since 1987 bitch.
Ahhh born and raised Vancouverite explains a lot.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #60
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Think of the time spent watching as beer drinking time? Then it is not wasted no matter what happens on the ice .

Flames need to play like they are the better team against the "no goods". Stop playing soft, stop letting McDick cut wide in the D, stop avoiding physical play. The Flames are far and away the better team, start playing like it ffs. 7-1 drubbing by the Flames, the tide turns, and all hope is forever lost in Deadmonton. GFG.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greasers , oilers are no good , please don’t lose , please just win , rittich ftw