Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2024, 03:45 PM   #5821
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Are you kidding?
No, I am.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to justkidding For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 03:47 PM   #5822
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well done folks. Well done. I think we've got this joke all wrapped up.

Slow clap.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 04:24 PM   #5823
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_joke View Post
My bathroom exhaust fan tripped the GFCI, located at a receptacle in the same bathroom, after a long, hot shower. I can reset the GFCI and use lights and other loads on the circuit, but running the exhaust fan will trip the GFCI- the fan will only run for about a second. I've tried this a few times now. It has been several hours after the initial trip so the room humidity should have dissipated as well. I've removed the fan cover and had a quick look but there wasn't an "obvious" issue e.g., dust, moisture.

I might be able to recall one other time several years ago when this GFCI tripped that might have been due to high draw, but that just required a simple reset. I'll Google some more and troubleshoot but if anyone has any pointers, I'm all ears!
GFCI's do go bad, but they also don't really like the type of draw a motor like that generates. They can cause some feedback from the motor causing a trip. I think it usually means the motor needs to be replaced(if it worked fine for years), but I'd try swapping a new GFCI first. Apparently they are only supposed to last 10 years.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 05:04 PM   #5824
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a GFCI trip randomly in our basement. Bought an outlet tester from Amazon and found several plugs with bad grounds (wire wasn’t under the box ground bolt). Based on that, I started pulling switches out and found a couple bad grounds there as well. Could be unrelated, but so far no trips since I fixed those (knock on wood).
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 06:12 PM   #5825
no_joke
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
GFCI's do go bad, but they also don't really like the type of draw a motor like that generates. They can cause some feedback from the motor causing a trip. I think it usually means the motor needs to be replaced(if it worked fine for years), but I'd try swapping a new GFCI first. Apparently they are only supposed to last 10 years.
That's straightforward enough- I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
I had a GFCI trip randomly in our basement. Bought an outlet tester from Amazon and found several plugs with bad grounds (wire wasn’t under the box ground bolt). Based on that, I started pulling switches out and found a couple bad grounds there as well. Could be unrelated, but so far no trips since I fixed those (knock on wood).
YouTube is pointing me in the direction of ground fault and continuity testing. This might be my once-every-decade opportunity to dust off the multimeter!
no_joke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no_joke For This Useful Post:
Fuzz, V
Old 01-07-2024, 02:42 PM   #5826
no_joke
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I noticed condensation around the quick connectors at the fan motor wiring so I disconnected them and let them (and everything else) air out overnight. I reconnected them and lo and behold, it worked!

I guess that was the source of the current imbalance and cause for the trip. I did hear bit of a popping sound when the fan powered up yesterday before the GFCI tripped, but didn't know where the issue was- I guess I still don't know for sure.

Anyways, I'll take a problem that fixes itself. At least I got to go to the hardware store!

I'll clean up the fan and try to seal up the wiring connection. I will go turn down the temperature at the hot water tank now as well.
no_joke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to no_joke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 08:52 AM   #5827
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife did the same thing with a long hot shower as well, though she didn't turn the fan on at all. I did the same thing as you and pulled the cover off, unplugged the fan and the condensation was noticeable on the plug. After drying it thoroughly it has been fine for two years.

You might want to consider upgrading the fan if it's no longer drawing the humidity enough, I also found the builder grade fans that come in bathrooms are usually not the greatest and the bare minimum size.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 09:17 AM   #5828
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are you guys in renovated or newer houses? Or are the fans directly in the shower, or over the tub?

Just curious. I didn't think it was code to have GFCI protected fans unless they were directly in the shower or over the bath. Definitely safer though.

I guess some of the newer fans have built in GFCI protection as well.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:22 AM   #5829
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it a problem if home humidity falls under 30% for an extended period of time? Edit to add that we have hardwood floors, if that matters.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 01-08-2024 at 01:20 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:36 AM   #5830
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_joke View Post
I noticed condensation around the quick connectors at the fan motor wiring so I disconnected them and let them (and everything else) air out overnight. I reconnected them and lo and behold, it worked!

I guess that was the source of the current imbalance and cause for the trip. I did hear bit of a popping sound when the fan powered up yesterday before the GFCI tripped, but didn't know where the issue was- I guess I still don't know for sure.

Anyways, I'll take a problem that fixes itself. At least I got to go to the hardware store!

I'll clean up the fan and try to seal up the wiring connection. I will go turn down the temperature at the hot water tank now as well.

You should check why there is condensation as well.

Is the fan housing insulated properly ?

There should be enough air flow to remove the moisture and it should be warm enough to not have condensation when not used.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:02 PM   #5831
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Are you guys in renovated or newer houses? Or are the fans directly in the shower, or over the tub?

Just curious. I didn't think it was code to have GFCI protected fans unless they were directly in the shower or over the bath. Definitely safer though.

I guess some of the newer fans have built in GFCI protection as well.
Just what I would consider a standard ensuite, shower and tub are near the fan but it is not in the shower or directly over the tub. The fan is wired to the GFCI plug on one end of the vanity as that's the one it tripped.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:34 PM   #5832
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, follow up to my oven issue. It will need to be replaced.

It's a double wall oven. I'm confident I can perform all steps of removing/installing a new one...except for the weight. They are about 300lbs.

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent some sort of height-adjustable dolly? Just want to know if it's possible to do on my own, or if I need to call some friends with muscle to help out.

I'm looking to buy private, so getting delivery/haul away/installation from a retail store wouldn't be an option.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:36 PM   #5833
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should be able to rent a decent dolly at Home Depot or Rogers Rent-All.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:44 PM   #5834
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, actually, just found this. Didn't know such a thing existed! And $35/day is very reasonable.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:09 PM   #5835
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, Rogers is a great place to find all sorts of rentals. Been using them for years.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:21 PM   #5836
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is it a problem if home humidity falls under 30% for an extended period of time? Edit to add that we have hardwood floors, if that matters.
I would guess that any home without a house-wide humidifier would have humidity under 30% for longer stretches every winter. In fact, at these temperatures, going under 30% is recommended to avoid condensation on the windows.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:04 PM   #5837
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I would guess that any home without a house-wide humidifier would have humidity under 30% for longer stretches every winter. In fact, at these temperatures, going under 30% is recommended to avoid condensation on the windows.
Weather like today it should be set at 10-15% now for this reason.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with residential tankless systems for hot water with a tank accessory (for minor holding) that can also run in floor heating separate OR speak to brand experience.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 01-10-2024 at 08:13 PM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 03:21 PM   #5838
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it might be nice to turn on the fireplace today while I sit around and watch football. The pilot light has always been on so I hit the switch and the fire comes on for a minute and goes out. I wait for the fireplace to reset and I lit the pilot light and turned on the fire and it goes out again. I've got the pilot light on again but I'm not going to bother with the fire. Does anyone know what might be going on with this thing?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 03:31 PM   #5839
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I thought it might be nice to turn on the fireplace today while I sit around and watch football. The pilot light has always been on so I hit the switch and the fire comes on for a minute and goes out. I wait for the fireplace to reset and I lit the pilot light and turned on the fire and it goes out again. I've got the pilot light on again but I'm not going to bother with the fire. Does anyone know what might be going on with this thing?
I had this happen last year and it was because vent outside was blocked with snow.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 03:34 PM   #5840
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Mine did that, was a loose connection in the low voltage switch and so it didn’t quite make a solid connection and keep the flame going. That’s the easy fix otherwise it might be the valve on the unit.
Whynotnow is online now   Reply With Quote