Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2023, 04:51 PM   #5781
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Wrestler's eschewed a paycheque and comfy travel in WWE to work high school gyms because they wanted more than what the money and comfort was providing.
It's generally not "comfy" travel in WWE unless they're going overseas. Wrestlers are still responsible for booking their own flights, hotels, car rentals, meals, etc.

One of the things that both Mox and Jericho have said about AEW is that it's nice that AEW takes care of all of that for them. I'd imagine, especially for the older guys who are tired of that lifestyle, that they're happy to make that trade-off for the smaller crowds and TV exposure.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 05:07 PM   #5782
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I was talking vs working random indy dates, not AEW.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 05:31 PM   #5783
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Apparently he has diverticulitis. Hard to believe he was wrestling through that. Glad the doctors caught it in time before it became life-threatening.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:48 PM   #5784
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

WWE takes care of flights but not ground transportation, hotels, food, .etc. Even Ryback admitted to it.

Quote:
Again, I have my issues with WWE... there is good there, it does exist. But by default, why they do certain things [when] it could just be so much better. It is an adjustment for talent, booking your hotels, booking your rental cars, WWE takes care of your flights. But you must be good with your money. You are not just a professional wrestler. You're a professional driver."
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...hedule-654404/

Jericho said this:

Quote:
“They still go with, ‘Here’s your plane ticket. You’re flying to Detroit. You’re working Detroit, Chicago, Cape Girardeau and St. Louis.’ So you rent your car in Detroit, you drop it off in St. Louis. You got to find your hotel rooms, you got to get a car that’s got a good rate for the drop-off. All this stuff. And those are your expenses and your responsibility to do that. And that’s another thing that I think people are just like, ‘Alright, are you kidding me? You really have to do that?’ So that’s the biggest difference.”
https://www.wrestlingnews.com/chris-...t-paid-by-wwe/
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 06:09 PM   #5785
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently he has diverticulitis. Hard to believe he was wrestling through that. Glad the doctors caught it in time before it became life-threatening.
Who knows how many wrestlers are allowed to perform in AEW while having lingering injury issues See: Daniel Bryan. It's becoming a significant problem. I can't think of one talent on their roster than hasn't missed time due to injuries within the last few years. I know it's the "industry", but you don't see the same consistent injuries within the WWE.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:38 PM   #5786
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Who knows how many wrestlers are allowed to perform in AEW while having lingering injury issues See: Daniel Bryan. It's becoming a significant problem. I can't think of one talent on their roster than hasn't missed time due to injuries within the last few years. I know it's the "industry", but you don't see the same consistent injuries within the WWE.
That's not true at all. How many months has Seth been working with a messed up back now?

WWE also went through a rash of injuries right before COVID to the point where people in the industry were significantly questioning their schedule.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:48 PM   #5787
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Yeah, working hurt is just a wrestling thing.

Really, it's just a man playing sports thing. When I was younger I played with #### where my doctor has looked me dead in the eyes and called me an idiot afterwards. She was ofcourse right.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-15-2023, 11:35 PM   #5788
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not true at all. How many months has Seth been working with a messed up back now?

WWE also went through a rash of injuries right before COVID to the point where people in the industry were significantly questioning their schedule.
I think it's quite obvious WWE has a cleaner/safer product that AEW. Say what you want about Jim Cornette, but he has a point when it comes to this. AEW is more concerned about putting on better matches and ***** Meltzer ratings, thus they end up having longer matches, and taking more dangerous moves. Look at your typical Moxley match, or Bryan taking hard shots with his broken orbital bone.

What was even worse was MJF taking dangerous bumps in the match with Jay White. What was ironic is apparently MJF didn't get hurt on that nasty table bump, but that kind of spot should not be happening. How many times do you see bumps in AEW that should not be allowed? The matches are often superior, but also dangerous. It's why many of their performers will probably end up crippled longterm, I doubt someone like Darby Allen has a long career ahead of him.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:37 AM   #5789
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's quite obvious WWE has a cleaner/safer product that AEW. Say what you want about Jim Cornette, but he has a point when it comes to this. AEW is more concerned about putting on better matches and ***** Meltzer ratings, thus they end up having longer matches, and taking more dangerous moves. Look at your typical Moxley match, or Bryan taking hard shots with his broken orbital bone.

What was even worse was MJF taking dangerous bumps in the match with Jay White. What was ironic is apparently MJF didn't get hurt on that nasty table bump, but that kind of spot should not be happening. How many times do you see bumps in AEW that should not be allowed? The matches are often superior, but also dangerous. It's why many of their performers will probably end up crippled longterm, I doubt someone like Darby Allen has a long career ahead of him.

WWE doesn't let people do stupid #### in the ring. They don't stop people from working hurt though.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-16-2023, 09:49 AM   #5790
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

This is my problem with AEW right now. Its also not as much as doing stupid and dangerous things that they don't know how to do for the fans, but it feels like they do stupid and dangerous things that they don't know how to do for Meltzer and the back.

Or they do stupid and dangerous and nonsensical things to satisfy their own weird fetishes and I'm looking at Moxley here.

I've said that the biggest thing that holds AEW back is leadership. And yeah Cornette for all his faults has nailed this.

A while back AEW released these rules or codes of in ring conduct or whatever, and it feels like that went away in no time. But whether they need stronger executives or producers that say F no you're not doing this stupid tripple corkscrew piledriver from the top of a latter into a ladder while jamming a fork into the head of your opponent. Or asking, hey before you go out and burn 15 minutes of camera time, who about we go through what you're going to say in your promo so your not screaming nonesense about how you don't know me.

And yeah, they've done a better job of keeping Kahn under control (He still feels like a Herb Abrahms to me). Its getting pretty clear that AEW needs a change in direction in terms of how it tells stories and how it protects workers.

Also WWE has lost Charlotte Flair for up to 9 months after wrecking her knee in a botched move with Ashuka. And Liv Morgan was arrested yesterday for possession of synthetic cannabis, and she was driving erratically, that's not going to help Liv's career after all of the Sunny nonesense.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2023, 06:55 PM   #5791
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's the states but it's weed. Yeah she shouldn't be driving but on the severity scale I'm ranking that pretty low. Don't think Liv Morgan is anywhere near Sunny.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:19 PM   #5792
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Liv's not gonna get touched for this. WWE would much rather their talent hit a dab pen than what they used to do to stay on the road and out of pain. Comparing her to Sunny is, and forgive for saying it but, a really stupid comparison.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-16-2023, 07:24 PM   #5793
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Usos have a couple of DUIs. Nothing happened to right?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:12 PM   #5794
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

This is so cool, and debuting during for NOAH during the biggest wrestling week of the year in Japan!

Muta - you'll get a kick out of the old-school Muta vibe

https://twitter.com/user/status/1736697848824312215
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2023, 12:18 PM   #5795
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy god I love this.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2023, 01:55 PM   #5796
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Holy god I love this.

l o l what a mark, amirite guys

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2023, 10:06 AM   #5797
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought Dynamite was very good last night, and the booking of the Continental Classic has been great. It's reminded me a lot of the earlier days of AEW. Excited for Worlds End.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:10 AM   #5798
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still kind of shocks me that WWE didn't know what they had in Swerve. Great worker, and the most interesting character in AEW right now. He's going to be a star.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #5799
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, all the matches were frickin' awesome last night, and MJF's mic work was so damn good. Absolutely excellent Dynamite last night. Can't WAIT for that Bryan / Claudio match next week.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 11:16 AM   #5800
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still kind of shocks me that WWE didn't know what they had in Swerve. Great worker, and the most interesting character in AEW right now. He's going to be a star.
He was released during that weird time where HHH and Steph were kind of put on the back burner (after HHH had his health issue) and Vince was running show again.

I would bet if HHH was still active with the roster decisions then he wouldn't have been released.

You know Vince was just like "These guys are black rappers...that will never sell...release them"
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote