Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #561
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I have a feeling that Sony's goal was to encourage a negative marketing campaign against Microsoft right away, which got the fan base active, and the media will always follow that because it knows that will drive traffic to their sites.

For example two negative stories about PS4 haven't gained much traction:

PlayStation 4 won't play Blu-rays or DVDs out of the box

Which is an easy fix as you just have to update your PS4 once you connect it, but why isn't that working out of the box.

and

Sony clarifies PS4 game-sharing rules ahead of launch

"Although sharing physical games remains as simple as Sony's tongue-in-cheek video suggested, games bought over PSN will be more locked down" Microsoft got hammered in the media for DRM but it sounds like the PS4 will have it as well.

Chris
Definitely understandable that PS4 needing an update would not be a negative thing to jump on as every system has needed a Day 1 patch IIRC? A more much problematic thing would be the fact that it doesn't have the play/resume on Day 1 even with the patch.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #562
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sony clarifies PS4 game-sharing rules ahead of launch

"Although sharing physical games remains as simple as Sony's tongue-in-cheek video suggested, games bought over PSN will be more locked down" Microsoft got hammered in the media for DRM but it sounds like the PS4 will have it as well.

Chris
Eh? Microsoft was trying to lock down physical copies unlike Sony - digital games bought over PSN/XBOX Live have never been shareable. Xbone got hammered for the former and nobody really expected the latter to change I don't think.

I do not understand what they're trying to say.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #563
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Eh? Microsoft was trying to lock down physical copies unlike Sony - digital games bought over PSN/XBOX Live have never been shareable. Xbone got hammered for the former and nobody really expected the latter to change I don't think.

I do not understand what they're trying to say.
From the article:
Quote:
The first PS4 you register will be your "primary console," and that's where digital purchases will automatically sync to. Anyone logged in on your primary system will then be able to play that game.
If you download the game on a secondary console, only you will be able to play that game. There's no limit to the number of consoles you can download a game on, but only two games can be played concurrently — one on your primary system, one on a secondary console, which you must be logged into
So my console is my primary console and I have Battlefield 4 downloaded from the store. I'm at my buddies place and we want to play but he doesn't have it so I log into my account and download it to his machine, then we can play.

Now if I give my buddy my password he can log in on my account anytime and play under my user ID, and I can still log into my PS4 and play the game as well.

I don't think that will work too well for online since you both probably can't be online with your profile, but that would be good for a game with a good single player story.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #564
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was dumb and did not pre-order my PS4. Is there even a chance that I will be able to pick one up at launch? I know it is a shot in the dark
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #565
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
From the article:
Yeah, sorry I got that. I was more looking at the comment below:

"games bought over PSN will be more locked down" Microsoft got hammered in the media for DRM but it sounds like the PS4 will have it as well.

Microsoft got hammered for trying to lock down physical purchases with DRM. It does not sound like PS4 will have that as well.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #566
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I was dumb and did not pre-order my PS4. Is there even a chance that I will be able to pick one up at launch? I know it is a shot in the dark
If you camp out in line you have a shot at getting one, but even then you won't be guaranteed.

I think a page or 2 back people were saying they had luck pre-ordering at Staples not too long ago?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #567
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a feeling that Sony's goal was to encourage a negative marketing campaign against Microsoft right away, which got the fan base active, and the media will always follow that because it knows that will drive traffic to their sites.
It never was much of a negative marketing campaign so much as new sites and Xbox users decried the changes to physical media use cases, these bubbled up to the news sites and Sony's marketing department decided to capitalize on marketing opportunity. As others have said, every platform has had to put out day 1 patches (Wii U, XB1 and PS4) one way or another to fix issues due to rush production schedules to meet launch demands. To suggest that Sony orchestrated a massive negative marketing campaign without recognizing Microsoft marketing, engineering and business's royal screwup is disingenuous.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #568
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Deerfoot Meadows Wal-Mart Still had pre-orders about 3 hours ago, according to the online website.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #569
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sony has said they are holding back units so that everyone that wants one can get one. To me that sounds like it would create more demand but you may be able to get one a week or so after the official release.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #570
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just checked Wal-Mart online it looks like they are sold out. I am not in a huge rush I just don't want to wait until after the holidays
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #571
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just checked Wal-Mart online it looks like they are sold out. I am not in a huge rush I just don't want to wait until after the holidays
You should be able to give it a shot at Staples since they're generally not a big spot for people to pre-order at I think. If you want, PM me since I have a coupon you might be able to use to save $20.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #572
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For those that ordered thru future shop. Do they deliver with or without needing a signature?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #573
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is the key though. In the past they maybe waited until the O.S. was complete and the ran into production shortages for launch.

Now they started hardware production early , long before the OS was finalized, to ensure they could meet that Day One demand.

Its going to suck having to wait for a 300MB download at launch, but worth it to actually be able to get a launch console.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #574
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
For those that ordered thru future shop. Do they deliver with or without needing a signature?
It has been "without" every time for me. I assume that it won't change for a new console release - but who knows, it could.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #575
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://kotaku.com/rumored-xbox-one-l...ion-1453405464

As we inch closer and closer to the release of next-gen consoles, we're starting to learn more and more about their features—and some of what we're hearing might not be great news for anyone who expected a totally stable experience at launch.

It's worth noting, of course, that video game console launches are rarely smooth. The Red Ring of Death fiasco killed a seemingly endless number of Xbox 360s back when Microsoft's last console hit stores, and, more recently, Nintendo's Wii U launched with missing features and a sluggish operating system.
Pete Dodd, a frequent NeoGAF poster and blogger, reports that multiple developer contacts tell him the Xbox One operating system is plagued by bugs that affect applications like party grouping on Xbox Live. Since Dodd's blog post went up last night, it's been widely circulated on Reddit, NeoGAF, and other large websites. People are panicking.

"My understanding from [my sources] is that the [OS] problem happens with the apps," Dodd told me when I asked him to elaborate on what he'd heard. "So if you are playing by yourself and just playing the game online it should be fine.

The PlayStation 4, of course, may have issues of its own. We've already seen Sony confirm that their suspend/resume feature won't be available at launch, and that much of the PS4's functionality will be enabled by a day-one patch. Who knows what else we'll learn as we get closer to the next PlayStation's release on November 15?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #576
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can only say that I'm glad that I'll be keeping my pre-order in a closet somewhere until the semester is over so I won't need to deal with the day 1 chaos.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #577
MissAvery16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I can only say that I'm glad that I'll be keeping my pre-order in a closet somewhere until the semester is over so I won't need to deal with the day 1 chaos.
Just flip your ps4 to some nerd for double the price and buy one during xmas
MissAvery16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissAvery16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #578
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

And away we go . . . spoiler for large pictures - check it out though!

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #579
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neat, they look like PC games from 2 years ago and 3 years ago respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #580
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Neat, they look like PC games from 2 years ago and 3 years ago respectively.
HAHA you're such an elitist - and I love it!
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote