Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2023, 02:59 PM   #5721
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am looking at different under-sink mounted instant hot water solutions / filtered cold water. Is there a faucet that has everything all-in-one? I feel like the regular faucet, plus an additional cold-filtered/hot watered is a little bit cluttered looking.

Specifically it’s for a basement wet bar with a small bar sink. We don’t use it for much else besides filling a kettle for tea and stuff, so otherwise we could maybe ditch the full-sized faucet for just a single instant hot and cold-filtered one, if that seems like a good idea? The only downside might be only having an option of scalding hot water / frigid cold. Besides that, would this be okay or am I missing something?
Interesting. I'm curious what you find out. I am on year three of building my mom a bar in her basement, and was just going to go with a drybar, but the plumbing is right there in the kitchen above and utility room behind one of the walls. Plus there's a crawl space below. I feel like all the pieces are there to do this without a major reno and within my skill level - or a plumber if that's what it takes.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:32 PM   #5722
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am looking at different under-sink mounted instant hot water solutions / filtered cold water. Is there a faucet that has everything all-in-one? I feel like the regular faucet, plus an additional cold-filtered/hot watered is a little bit cluttered looking.

Specifically it’s for a basement wet bar with a small bar sink. We don’t use it for much else besides filling a kettle for tea and stuff, so otherwise we could maybe ditch the full-sized faucet for just a single instant hot and cold-filtered one, if that seems like a good idea? The only downside might be only having an option of scalding hot water / frigid cold. Besides that, would this be okay or am I missing something?
I'm confused what you're asking here. Don't most of these systems just attach straight up to normal faucets that are intended to take hot and cold water simultaneously? Shouldn't this be treated like any normal faucet?

https://www.amazon.ca/Thermomate-Ele...34&sr=8-5&th=1

I'm also not completely on what you mean by ditching the full size faucet or what is considered full size to you. That's one of the first things I upgraded (and did) on my wet bar. I think I spent around $150 on a low arc pull out Moen faucet. I guess it's not as big as a "full sized" kitchen faucet, but it's a full featured kitchen faucet that's low profile?

An arched faucet that has a pull out head to fill containers/kettles etc. is awesome in a wet bar and a good one makes it look nicer. It also helps with containers that are a little tall for a shallow sink with a fixed faucet head. A fixed faucet sucks in a wet bar and it was one of the first things I made sure to upgrade to make it more utile. IMO spend extra and make sure to get that feature that makes using the sink less crappy.

https://www.amazon.ca/Moen-87233-One...9a9930752&th=1

Something like this is $175-225 and IMO makes the wet bar look a lot nicer.

https://www.amazon.ca/Moen-CA87316BL...b-f959a9930752

Lower arc, this one is around $165 and more similar to the one I installed and both are more utile than something like this for $155:

https://www.amazon.ca/Moen-7423-Chat...b-f959a9930752

Arc is nice to fit stuff underneath and the pull down is nice to reduce the splashing in a likely smaller and shallower wet bar sink.

And these are Moen, one of the top brands. There's other brands for like half the price if you're OK going with those inexpensive brands instead if budget is a concern. I just paid a little bit extra to get something I knew I wouldn't have issues or concerns with.

Last edited by DoubleF; 12-13-2023 at 03:36 PM. Reason: something weird with the links. Fixed.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:51 PM   #5723
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Home Improvement Thread

^^^ those are regular faucets.

An instant hot and cold don’t have a mixer, as far as I know.

This would be only for cold, filtered drinking water, and near-boiling water for tea, french press, etc. In my research though, I always see two faucets, at least which is what is throwing me off a bit. I am not using this wet bar to fill pots or wash my hands or do dishes.

This is also partial laziness and not wanting to drill another hole into a granite counter top, and also I am not crazy about the multiple faucets aesthetic.

** like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkEr...00FG/100438615

Last edited by Wormius; 12-13-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 04:28 PM   #5724
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^^ those are regular faucets.

An instant hot and cold don’t have a mixer, as far as I know.

This would be only for cold, filtered drinking water, and near-boiling water for tea, french press, etc. In my research though, I always see two faucets, at least which is what is throwing me off a bit. I am not using this wet bar to fill pots or wash my hands or do dishes.

This is also partial laziness and not wanting to drill another hole into a granite counter top, and also I am not crazy about the multiple faucets aesthetic.
Oh... are you looking at something like this combination then but at prices that aren't insane?

https://plumbingonline.ca/products/insinkerator-44252

https://plumbingonline.ca/products/insinkerator-44887

$600 for that faucet geez...

EDIT:

Something like this that shows a diagram with two taps?
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/Home...EaAksoEALw_wcB

Yeah, I'm as confused as you as to why that's required. I'd assume you could potentially just have the one tap, but I think somehow the answer is below?
https://insinkerator.emerson.com/en-...needed-to-know

For this insinkerator FAQ, there are models that replace your normal tap and models that need to be installed beside your main tap. I don't know the difference, but somehow it does seem like there's a difference. Those prices though... Yeesh.

Last edited by DoubleF; 12-13-2023 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:50 PM   #5725
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Insinkerator one was just an example, but not necessarily worried about the cost at the moment. More curious about whether or not I would still need a regular faucet. The benefit is saves time running back and forth to a kettle or microwave, and makes the area more functional without cluttering it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 06:59 PM   #5726
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Insinkerator one was just an example, but not necessarily worried about the cost at the moment. More curious about whether or not I would still need a regular faucet. The benefit is saves time running back and forth to a kettle or microwave, and makes the area more functional without cluttering it up.
I think you can replace the trap and have the under sink filtered cold and hot water only (2 options). The insinkerator tap has an option for 4, regular cold, unit filter cold, regular hot water, unit boiling hot water).

I think two taps is unit water and then house water separate. Don't rely on my guess though.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:53 AM   #5727
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It looks like an add on that would be suited for filling cups, maybe a small pot, but not for filling a sink to do dishes. I have a cold drinking water tap and the thing flows about a L an hour. lol
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:23 AM   #5728
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am being forced to do some extensive home renovations (water leak wrecking floor and island, a good enough time to update).

I want to get all new appliances - paneled fridge, induction stove top, new dishwasher.

Do any of you have any recommendations for appliances? any do-not-buys?
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:28 AM   #5729
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I am being forced to do some extensive home renovations (water leak wrecking floor and island, a good enough time to update).

I want to get all new appliances - paneled fridge, induction stove top, new dishwasher.

Did a full reno on our house about a year ago. Included all new appliances from various brands. My opinion is they are all crap at worst, and it's a crapshoot at best. I think my opinion now is that you should pay as much as you need to and no more because they are all disposable junk!

Dishwasher - Miele - motor replacement within first few months (can't remember why - the Miele rep was here for something else and recommended the replacement)

Steam oven - Miele - valve failure which caused a flood in the kitchen, water ending up in the basement mechanical room. Oven had to go to Germany for a full autopsy. Service tech coming again tomorrow for another issue.

Stove - Fisher Paykel - tech replaced parts on one of the burners and noticed another faulty part. He ordered the part in and it was defective again - twice. They didn't order a third time until we hounded them. Tech coming tomorrow.

Just last week, new washer and dryer - electrolux - turned on the dryer for the first time and was greeted with an awful metal on metal grinding sound. Replacement was authorized - awaiting delivery.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 10:37 AM   #5730
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Did a full reno on our house about a year ago. Included all new appliances from various brands. My opinion is they are all crap at worst, and it's a crapshoot at best. I think my opinion now is that you should pay as much as you need to and no more because they are all disposable junk!

Dishwasher - Miele - motor replacement within first few months (can't remember why - the Miele rep was here for something else and recommended the replacement)

Steam oven - Miele - valve failure which caused a flood in the kitchen, water ending up in the basement mechanical room. Oven had to go to Germany for a full autopsy. Service tech coming again tomorrow for another issue.

Stove - Fisher Paykel - tech replaced parts on one of the burners and noticed another faulty part. He ordered the part in and it was defective again - twice. They didn't order a third time until we hounded them. Tech coming tomorrow.

Just last week, new washer and dryer - electrolux - turned on the dryer for the first time and was greeted with an awful metal on metal grinding sound. Replacement was authorized - awaiting delivery.
Yikes. What a sucky coincidence. I hope they figure things out and resolve it all for you in a way that's satisfactory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

I'm not sure there's true "do not buys" anymore, albeit buying a lower end appliance that isn't as well designed to take abuse (depending on your usage requirements) might not be the best idea. So if you like doing large loads of laundry vs multiple smaller loads, same thing with a dishwasher without scraping or love going to your fridge and looking through the doors like you're looking at a nature exhibit... then you might want appliances that are better designed for those habits (ie: increased capacity, segmented doors etc.)

I've heard of many ups and downs with appliances now. People used to say go with Miele/Bosch and stay away from Samsung/LG and I've anecdotally heard crisscross up and downs for all these brands in the last 3-5 years.

It might be a good idea to go with a seller that has a great reputation for warranties. Costco for instance is typically pretty good at that. I think Trail is pretty good at that too (you can talk to them first within X period of time before immediately talking to the manufacturer).
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 10:49 AM   #5731
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like to stick to he Kitchenaids and Whirlpools and the like, because parts are usually easy to get(even locally) and I do the repairs myself, so it's still easier than replacing them every time they fail and it not being worth the repair guy cost. I'm not saying it's well built, in 10 years I've done both motors, both upper rack tracks and a few other parts. But at least I'm not chucking the thing every 5 years.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 11:13 AM   #5732
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

One plus I'll say with my LG fridge is we had an issue where it stopped cooling in the main part (the freezer still worked), and it was off warranty.. LG has a fixed price repair fee program where you just go online, give the model and stuff, and they say "We'll charge $250 to fix it regardless of what it is."

Did that, guy showed up and replaced waaaay more than $250 of parts and it was fixed.

Sure sometimes it'll be a $10 part but I kinda liked the idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 11:20 AM   #5733
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
One plus I'll say with my LG fridge is we had an issue where it stopped cooling in the main part (the freezer still worked), and it was off warranty.. LG has a fixed price repair fee program where you just go online, give the model and stuff, and they say "We'll charge $250 to fix it regardless of what it is."

Did that, guy showed up and replaced waaaay more than $250 of parts and it was fixed.

I was just going to mention this. LG is quite well known to have garbage compressors. We have a 7 year old fridge and the compressor has now been replaced twice.

Most recently (a month ago) we booked the appt online, paid the flate rate and the guy replaced the compressor with the apparently "new updated one that shouldn't have any issues"

Compressors generally come with 10 year warranties.

Anyway, it was kind of nice to not be worried about some large surprise bill after a service visit. Considering I was already shopping for a new refrigerator, it was nice to only have to spend 300$

On the other hand I'm pretty sure my garage fridge was manufactured in the 80s and it's still doing it's thing. I have never had to have it fixed
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 11:28 AM   #5734
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

LG is surprisingly good with warranties and recalls.

The house I bought had an LG fridge. The fridge I think was from 2006 or something and there was a recall on it because the board would randomly fry and you'd have the light on even with the doors closed. The previous owners had no issues and didn't realize there was a recall program from like 2009-2013 or something. The fridge used an incandescent bulb so you'd turn your fridge into an easy bake oven and it could get warm enough to start melting plastic. This finally happened in 2020 after I moved into the house. I had to use oven mitts to remove the light bulb before it melted more than just the plastic cover for the light and the insulation.

I could have just used the fridge without a light inside, but I called LG in 2020 and they sent a tech to get it repaired it for free based on the recall from almost a decade previous. I was out maybe $50-60 of food at the time, but whatever. I consider it the cost of repairing that fridge and it is still going strong right now. The new bulb is also an LED now, so even if the board fails, it won't get stupidly hot and be a fire risk.

This stuck out to me. LG was so easy to deal with. Other brands like Samsung were more than happy to say it wasn't their problem, quote an idiotic GTFO calibre price, even though in the end I was able to either fix it myself or hire someone to fix it for cheap. "Yeah it'll cost us $300 to send a tech to diagnose the dishwasher before repairs". #### that, I might as well buy a brand new dishwasher for $700-1100 instead of spending probably $500 on repairs on an out of warranty dishwasher. (Fixed it myself for like $17, turned out it was some kind of weird clog).
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM   #5735
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At the surface level it's kind of silly that refrigerators are so astronomically expensive, when they basically do one thing. Where you can get a pretty decent dishwasher for under 1000$ and they have a lot of moving parts and functions.

It reminds me of a Brian Regan bit on refrigerator salesmen

"This keeps your food cold for 1000$"

"But if you come over here let me show you THIS fridge that keeps your food cold for 2000$"
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 12:41 PM   #5736
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
At the surface level it's kind of silly that refrigerators are so astronomically expensive, when they basically do one thing. Where you can get a pretty decent dishwasher for under 1000$ and they have a lot of moving parts and functions.

It reminds me of a Brian Regan bit on refrigerator salesmen

"This keeps your food cold for 1000$"

"But if you come over here let me show you THIS fridge that keeps your food cold for 2000$"
Yeah, the lower tech my appliances are the happier I am.

Last year I had to replace my dryer after limping my fancy steam dryer along for too long. I had taken it apart twice to replace drum belts and all sort of crap. Just YouTube fixing BS on a dryer that was maybe six years old. Calling a guy to fix it is always a waste of money, so I don't bother.

When I finally replaced it, I went to The Laundry Store and bought their most analog dryer ever. No LEDs. No control panel, no display. Just a couple old-school dials and a start button. That thing has been the best.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 12:51 PM   #5737
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I think I got one of the first front loading washer/dryer sets in Calgary, Maytag pair. So long ago the only place to get soap for a front loading washing machine was Trail!

More than 20 years ago.. the washer finally had a problem and replaced that but the dryer is still going strong! Analog!
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 01:33 PM   #5738
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Is Frigidaire still a decent brand? When we bought our house in 2020 it came with the OG Frigidaire fridge and stove from when it was built (2006), and we haven't had an issue with either. The ice maker in the fridge is also the best one I've ever used, so I'd stick with Frigidaire unless they've shat the bed in quality in the last 20 years
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:13 PM   #5739
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, the lower tech my appliances are the happier I am.

Last year I had to replace my dryer after limping my fancy steam dryer along for too long. I had taken it apart twice to replace drum belts and all sort of crap. Just YouTube fixing BS on a dryer that was maybe six years old. Calling a guy to fix it is always a waste of money, so I don't bother.

When I finally replaced it, I went to The Laundry Store and bought their most analog dryer ever. No LEDs. No control panel, no display. Just a couple old-school dials and a start button. That thing has been the best.
My 17 Y.O. manual Maytag is still going strong, haven't done one thing too it other than clean lint.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:26 PM   #5740
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My 17 Y.O. manual Maytag is still going strong, haven't done one thing too it other than clean lint.

Manual dryer? Is that a clothesline over a fire pit?