Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2016, 01:47 AM   #541
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

When I was playing a lot and using my coach, his biggest pet peeve was when I was trying to work the ball to much. His words were always - pick a target and finish at it. This was before the sticks and all that were real popular. I naturally have a right to left ball flight. His point was that if I was aiming right, I would mentally try and over correct and then over draw (hook) the ball to much. Aim straight and swing straight was his motto. If I was aiming at the right hand 150 marker off the tee, I should end up just left of that. So if I actually want to be in the middle of the fairway, aim at that. Then be real happy with just left of centre.

A good drill at a range is to pick a yardage marker, 3/4 swings and finish with everything going at the yardage marker - hands, club head, hip turn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldd1F7O7OKU - This video is what I am talking about.

Last edited by GomerPile; 05-31-2016 at 07:56 AM.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:25 AM   #542
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Well I've gotta problem fellas.

I've got a case of the snap hooks with the Driver. A hook is my usual miss with the driver but it really has taken off and developed into a nasty snap hook. Ball starts left and whips violently right.

Over the last week and a bit I've probably hit 400 balls trying to solve the problem but I just can't seem to solve it. When I'm hitting the ball well I'm drawing it and I'd like to maintain that ball flight.

I've tried drill after drill etc.. My fear is that it's my grip. I have a strong grip and can see 4 nuckles at address. However, if I try to weaken my grip the club feels absolutely terrible in my fingers/hands.

All this and I've got a big golf trip this weekend involving 4 rounds...I've gotta get it fixed. Sigh....

I think I'm actually going to just try and teach myself how to hit a fade with my driver... My irons have been just fine which is the only thing saving me right now.

Sorry for the "cool story bro" but I need to vent over here... I'm losing my mind!!!
Make sure you finish your body turn. Hooks can be caused when the arms swing past the body. Check to make sure that you are getting your weight to the front foot on the follow through. When I've got the snap hooks, I'm usually hanging back and flipping my arms past my body. So, finish your body turn, and don't let your arms swing past your body.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 AM   #543
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you ever read the book Golf is not a Game of PErfect by Bob Rotella this is basically his message. Your brain wants a target to hit the golf ball to.

I used to find it really helped me stay in the moment when I would pick a target and hit the ball to the target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
When I was playing a lot and using my coach, his biggest pet peeve was when I was trying to work the ball to much. His words were always - pick a target and finish at it.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:58 AM   #544
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's unfortunate, I now have a worse attention span on the golf course then I did as a 16 year old. Might be because I am always looking for the beer cart these days.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #545
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey guys thanks for all the input.

I'd agree that the guys from Meandmygolf.com are fantastic. I've been watching their videos for quite some time now and I've definitely used their videos to try and fix my current issue. I like how they provide practical and simple drills. Unfortunately none of them have worked to date as of yet though!

I do think my rotation is out of sync and my grip has gotten slightly stronger which is manifesting into my hooks with my driver. I'll be back on the range tonight to try and work my way out of it... I'll see if I can get some footage of my swing it would be great to get another set of eyes on it.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #546
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Well I've gotta problem fellas.

I've got a case of the snap hooks with the Driver. A hook is my usual miss with the driver but it really has taken off and developed into a nasty snap hook. Ball starts left and whips violently right.

Over the last week and a bit I've probably hit 400 balls trying to solve the problem but I just can't seem to solve it. When I'm hitting the ball well I'm drawing it and I'd like to maintain that ball flight.

I've tried drill after drill etc.. My fear is that it's my grip. I have a strong grip and can see 4 nuckles at address. However, if I try to weaken my grip the club feels absolutely terrible in my fingers/hands.

All this and I've got a big golf trip this weekend involving 4 rounds...I've gotta get it fixed. Sigh....

I think I'm actually going to just try and teach myself how to hit a fade with my driver... My irons have been just fine which is the only thing saving me right now.

Sorry for the "cool story bro" but I need to vent over here... I'm losing my mind!!!
This makes perfect sense if you're trying to change your grip. While changing your grip is an easy thing to do, it can take a while before it feels natural. An easy way to speed the process up is to just have a golf club in your hands while watching TV and keep gripping and regripping the club.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #547
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Just my experience , but most snap hookers I see are just swinging too hard. Try to swing easy and keep an open - to - neutral club face in your head. That'd be my advice.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:55 AM   #548
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
if you ever read the book Golf is not a Game of PErfect by Bob Rotella this is basically his message. Your brain wants a target to hit the golf ball to.

I used to find it really helped me stay in the moment when I would pick a target and hit the ball to the target.
It's a great book.

I'm reading 'Every Shot Counts' by Mark Broadie right now. He's the finance/economics guy who came up with the strokes gained statistic.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #549
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Every Shot Counts is tremendous. I thought it may be a bit number heavy but I really enjoyed it and found I had trouble putting it down once I started.

Pro Golf Synopsis (one version every year) is another math-heavy, but informative read. Good for PGA player breakdowns if you're a fan of watching, too.

Given it's getting into the season now and we are all figuring out what has decided to stop (or if you're lucky, start) working this year, what are some other sources of information you all find useful?

YouTube, of course, is a great resource these days.
I hadn't checked out MeAndMyGolf but will now.
Andrew Rice - More into subscription ($) stuff now but still lots of older free content available. Heavily incorporates of Trackman in his lessons and philosophies. Really helped me understand ball flight laws which in turns helps diagnose what you are doing wrong (sometimes nothing but hitting the heel or toe).
Mark Crossfield and Rick Shiels are two guys well known for equipment reviews and a bit of instruction - I haven't watched much of their instruction, personally, but plan to when I have an evening with nothing going on.
Any others?

What about instructors in Calgary? I've found, like courses here, most seem to charge a lot of money for what you appear to get.
Sadly it seems some of the ones with good reputations are struggling these days and moving to quantity over quality to survive (can't blame them).
Any notable recommendations who utilize Trackman or Flightscope or similar?
I always thought GolfTec was just a scam, based on the awful commercials, but a friend who is a 9 handicap got irritated at his $150/hour instructor who started double booking students in a as-mentioned quantity over quality type model (jumping back and forth between them), so pursued GolfTec for half the price and has glowing reviews. In particular loves the video they take, Flightscope on every shot, and being able to review all lessons and video online after the fact. I'm still skeptical, but it's tempting to try a couple and see what it's like. Plus being inside isn't ideal. Any experiences here?
Other recommendations?
Old 05-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #550
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Don't know much about instructors, but over the winter I watched just about every Mark Crossfield golf course video on YouTube. Start with the Lee Westwood one.

It's like golfing with your buddies, if they were all scratch golfers. They rib each other mercilessly and it's a good learning tool as well.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #551
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been going to see Kim at River's Edge the past few years. I like that he's a lefty and his rates are decent.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #552
AltaGuy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
When I was playing a lot and using my coach, his biggest pet peeve was when I was trying to work the ball too much.
Haha - thought I'd share my recent joyous golf-shot adventures after reading this.

I've always been a fader/slicer of the golf ball, but reigned that in the past three or four years to a manageable fade for the most part, with a driver miss being the odd slice or straight pull.

As I've gotten better, and started working the ball, I now never slice, but my aim with my irons has turned to crap because I either softly fade or softly draw or hit straight, with very little rhyme or reason. So now I'm playing big hooks or slices into greens like a terrible Bubba Watson because I can only control (ish) the spin if I exaggerate it.

Golf is awesome.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #553
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know of nice courses in Lethbridge or anywhere between Lethbridge and Nanton? I have to head down for a meeting and would like to work in a mid-day round.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #554
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paradise Canyon is awesome, and if you can get access, the Lethbridge Golf & Country Club is very good!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #555
AltaGuy

Exp:

Very excited to be upgrading my 1983 Ping Eye Ones tomorrow to a more modern club with more forgiveness. It features more offset, a thicker topline, and larger head and sole.

Also, my new 1985 Ping Eye2s will have illegal grooves in 2024 because of their super spinny new tech box grooves.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #556
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't planning on buying any new irons for a while but Golf Town has these on clearance for $100 so I'm taking a chance. I have graphite shafts now and I was planning on going back to steel because I didn't necessarily like the graphite but I ordered the stiffer flex so maybe that will play better and I will be happier.

Cleveland Golf CG Black 2015

edit: looks like the set that I order was a price error which explains the really good deal ($900 marked down to $100.) It would be awesome if Golf Town still filled the order but I'm expecting it to get cancelled.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 06-04-2016 at 03:44 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #557
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone played Speargrass lately?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #558
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Played a couple weeks ago.Don't recall anything wrong with it.Greens were in great shape.A few dead patches on the fairways.Even managed to play the last 3 in level par.(Has never happened before).
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FragileMind For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #559
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Played it on Saturday. Second time this year.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #560
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Looking for a great track in the Edmonton area,on the cheaper side.Pretty sure I'll play Redtail one day,so need a cheaper track on day 2.Anyone play Trestle Creek.Looks promising.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow