Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #541
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

New Top Gear: A collection of some of the most annoying people in the UK.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #542
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What a bunch of whiners in this thread.

Cinematography is the same, so far the vehicles have been better/cooler. I also like the new format for the middle interview: more guests, two drivers etc. Leblanc is a great addition and while Evans is annoying he's not so bad, he just happens to be one of the worst parts of an otherwise good show.

I tell you what: With all the hype for Clarkson/May/Hammond, they'd better deliver.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #543
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup after having a night to think about it I definitely thought that 2nd episode was solid and I'm excited for next week.

Top Gear might not be quite as awesome as it was but it's still a solid show and easily the best car show out right now. We know that Jeremy, Richard and James have the chemistry but we still have to see if the rest of the show works and is a good fit for them.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #544
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Second episode didn't have the same cringe factor as the first, but nothing about it has the same feel. And who thought it would be a good idea to have the guests tell the audience about what the other guests are doing in their careers? It's so awkward I had to mute the TV.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #545
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you were really paying attention to the 'news' or reasonably priced car segments in the first place you deserve a prize.

Top Gear was essentially unwatchable for the 15 minutes in the middle of the good car stuff.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #546
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

... I liked the News! They were always funny.

Hated Star in a reasonably priced car and I think the new interview segment is a big improvement actually. Having multiple guests interact is always more entertaining. Same thing if you compare the Graham Norton show to North American late night shows. There's no comparison.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #547
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
What a bunch of whiners in this thread.

Cinematography is the same, so far the vehicles have been better/cooler. I also like the new format for the middle interview: more guests, two drivers etc. Leblanc is a great addition and while Evans is annoying he's not so bad, he just happens to be one of the worst parts of an otherwise good show.

I tell you what: With all the hype for Clarkson/May/Hammond, they'd better deliver.
I'm still not a fan of a star in the rally car, and I miss the news, but besides that, I agree with you. The McLaren and SUVs in Africa segments were pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of Chris Harris, but a trio on TG is better than a duo.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #548
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I feel like Matt LeBlanc is enough of a dick that it'll end up with a similar dynamic.

But him and Harris hate each other already apparently so I wonder how that goes.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #549
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I feel like Matt LeBlanc is enough of a dick that it'll end up with a similar dynamic.

But him and Harris hate each other already apparently so I wonder how that goes.
I havent caught up on these episodes yet, but LeBlanc is into it with Harris too now? I know he and Evans have had it out a few times.

Honestly, we may talk about the 'chemistry' of Clarkson/Hammond/May but they werent publicly getting into huge blowouts when their show is 2 episodes in.

How can they expect this show to last when behind the scenes the presenters cant get along?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #550
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I havent caught up on these episodes yet, but LeBlanc is into it with Harris too now? I know he and Evans have had it out a few times.

Honestly, we may talk about the 'chemistry' of Clarkson/Hammond/May but they werent publicly getting into huge blowouts when their show is 2 episodes in.

How can they expect this show to last when behind the scenes the presenters cant get along?
Whoops I think I have my Brits confused. LeBlanc was getting into it with Evans.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #551
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some fans are calling for Jenson Button to take over from Evans... That'd be interesting, guess you wouldn't need the Stig anymore...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/t...ormula-8138833

Can't beat Antiques Roadshow in the ratings? Yeesh.... that's not good for the long term.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #552
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Is Fifth Gear still a thing? Can Top Gear get Tiff Needle back? Him and Clarkson were always great foils with each other.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #553
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Some fans are calling for Jenson Button to take over from Evans... That'd be interesting, guess you wouldn't need the Stig anymore...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/t...ormula-8138833

Can't beat Antiques Roadshow in the ratings? Yeesh.... that's not good for the long term.
Teey got a lot of viewers for the season premiere and then half as many for the next episode. So people tuned in to give it a shot and it seems that its not gone well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #554
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Hopefully, JB will be too busy driving for Williams next season. I'm not sure how he'd be as a TV presenter. I suppose if he played more of a supporting role, he'd do fine.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #555
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh boy. The boys didnt wait long.

Quote:
A video of Jeremy Clarkson attempting to assemble a cardboard box has been hailed as more entertaining than the new series of Top Gear.

James May shared a three minute clip of Clarkson attempting the DHL Challenge while being timed by Richard Hammond.

The clip – which sees the former Top Gear host create a ‘landing base’ before running to find a hammer – has been viewed more than 635,000 times and has amassed over 15,000 likes.

Viewers have left a string of positive reviews with many claiming the video has more entertainment value than the new Chris Evans’ fronted motoring show.
http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/ce...-a3266886.html

Old 06-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #556
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

that video was terribly boring.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #557
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
that video was terribly boring.
What is it that you really like about Top Gear?

Old 06-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #558
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, after EP.2, Not a fan of Evans. It really should be Chris Harris and Sabine working with LeBanc. Leblanc FYI looks like a solid fit for the show. I've really liked both efforts so far.

It's an absolute travesty Harris isn't a main part of the show. He's so good!
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #559
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What is it that you really like about Top Gear?
Mostly the cars and the cinematography. I like Leblanc and I don't think Evans is as bad as most seem to.

I liked May, Clarkson and Hammond as host and I watch the other shows they host as well.

May is probably my favourite if that tells you anything about me, but I yell 'POWER!' a lot at my wife before I do something stupid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #560
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ratings in the US down about 30% of what they were to the previous series (including recorded viewings).

I haven't watched the new series beyond a 15 minutes or so and what I saw seemed OK story-wise but the scripted "impromptu" jokes seemed forced and not delivered with conviction.

I will sit down and watch the shows at some point. I read some comments on one article calling is Flop Gear which I laughed at.

Last edited by ernie; 06-09-2016 at 08:54 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote