Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2024, 01:32 AM   #541
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s really difficult to guess where the flames will draft at this point. The difference between picking 6th overall and 17th overall is only 7 points right now (assuming no one outside the bottom five teams in the standings win the draft lottery).

Add to it the fact that is really tough to gauge how well the flames will do the rest of the year. If they trade Tanev, Lindholm, Hanifin and Markstrom in the next month, I could see them struggling down the stretch. Mostly from losing Hanifin and Tanev IMO because they have no one in the system ready to step up (as far as as I know). I could see Wolf and Vladar playing well down the stretch though. It gets even tougher to guess where they finish if they trade only half of those players though.

Of the teams near the flames in the league standings, I think only Montreal and Minnesota could be considered sellers at the deadline. The rest either don’t really have much to sell or are just committed long term to all their young players that they likely won’t sell (Buffalo and Ottawa, for example). If we use the simple logic of teams that sell their top UFAs should get worse after the TDL - which is not always the case - Calgary, Minnesota and Montreal should be poised to drop further down.

None of them are likely to drop into the bottom four in the standings though. It would take a horrendous period of losing for that to happen. Something like a 15 game stretch of 3-10-2… I don’t think any of those teams have been that bad for that long this season and their goaltending is too competitive for that to happen IMO (even in the unlikely event that Markstrom is traded).

My guess is everything evens out and the flames stay around the range they are at now and end up picking in the 11th to 7th overall range.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 01:39 AM   #542
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
It’s really difficult to guess where the flames will draft at this point. The difference between picking 6th overall and 17th overall is only 7 points right now (assuming no one outside the bottom five teams in the standings win the draft lottery).
This is why the current draft lottery system is stupid. There should be more even odds and not such a steep gradient. It's anti-parity and just serves to reward tankers.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:15 PM   #543
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Upside Hockey's prospect profile page for the 2024 draft which collates all of Sandman's great work now live:

15 profiles already!

Alphabetical for now with a table of contents at the top.

So far...

Cole Beaudoin C
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard RW
Berkly Catton C
Melvin Fernstrom RW
Noel Fransen D
Alfons Freij D
Liam Greentree RW
Emil Hemming RW
Henry Mews D
Lucas Pettersson C
Ryder Ritchie RW
Beckett Sennecke RW
Leo Sahlin Wallenius D
Carson Wetsch RW
Simon Zether C

https://bit.ly/2024nhldraftprofiles
Make that 27!

Dominik Badinka D
Cole Beaudoin C
Sacha Boisvert C
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard RW
Berkly Catton C
Trevor Connelly LW
Ben Danford D
Charlie Elick D
EJ Emery D
Melvin Fernstrom RW
Noel Fransen D
Alfons Freij D
Spencer Gill D
Liam Greentree RW
Michael Hage C
Emil Hemming RW
Matvei Gridin RW
Tomas Lavoie D
Henry Mews D
John Mustard LW
Lucas Pettersson C
Ryder Ritchie RW
Beckett Sennecke RW
Sebastian Soini D
Leo Sahlin Wallenius D
Carson Wetsch RW
Simon Zether C
Old 01-30-2024, 08:56 PM   #544
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please support your CP Brothers, and go to Upside Hockey!!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 09:29 PM   #545
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really liking how Michael Brandsegg-Nygard is progressing.
Picked him as my dark horse for the WJHC pool and he didn't disappoint, playing on a team that really had no chance at all.

Big RHS RW with skill.
Could be a sleeper pick imo, kind of reminds me of a Tim Stutzle but RW.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 09:31 PM   #546
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Because they’re the Flames, the pick will likely be somewhere between 6-10.

Top-5 or higher maybe a different discussion - but if you can get Jarome Iginla at picks 6-10, take the W.
he's too old and not eligible
Old 01-30-2024, 09:45 PM   #547
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Really liking how Michael Brandsegg-Nygard is progressing.
Picked him as my dark horse for the WJHC pool and he didn't disappoint, playing on a team that really had no chance at all.

Big RHS RW with skill.
Could be a sleeper pick imo, kind of reminds me of a Tim Stutzle but RW.
Got a lot of power in his game, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 09:51 PM   #548
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Got a lot of power in his game, too.
He actually reminds me a bit of Iginla senior, he has a mean side to his game and isn't afraid to play the power forward at all like you said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 03:18 AM   #549
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Draft Thoughts (and more RHD):

RHD Luca Marrelli, who measures 6'3", and 187lbs, may have been the Oshawa Generals' best defenseman in 2022-23, according to some. This season to date, he's racked up 36 points so far in 45 games, a pace that would put him on a trajectory to end the year with 54 points in 68 games. He is Oshawa's top-scoring D, and 12th overall in the OHL for defenders. Marrelli is one of the older prospects in this draft, with an October 4th birthday, and cousin to another draft-eligible defenseman, Frankie Marrelli of the Ottawa 67's. The Gens are currently 4th in the East, 9th overall, and 7th in goals-for.
Marrelli is a developing puck-moving, two-way rearguard, leaning towards offense, showing above average vision and playmaking, and a penchant for running the show from the point with patience and poise. He's adept at walking the line and opening lanes, keeping the puck in the zone and extending offensive zone time, and he's a crisp, accurate passer who consistently finds teammates in high danger. He uses deception in his body language, and has the moves to manipulate open space for well-timed passes, or to get a shot on net. Marrelli has excellent puck skills, and stays composed under pressure, making good decisions. He's confident and cool with the puck on his stick, efficient in retrievals, and makes a good first pass to ignite the offense, often opting for a stretch pass on his outlets to push the pace. In the defensive zone, he positions himself quite well against the rush, and the cycle, and employs his stick and quick lateral movement to keep opponents to the outside. He's aggressive and competitive, with good anticipation, and will finish his checks. Skating is not a glaring weakness for him, as he can close fast on attackers and has good agility and lateral mobility to get in lanes and break up rushes, but he needs a better top speed and more explosiveness- he's still quick and smart enough to take away space and time from opponents, and uses plenty of deception in his feet and stick placement to make himself room to move.
Marrelli gets some criticism for inconsistencies in his effort from time to time, and he has been known to cheat a bit for offense. He needs to get stronger and faster to win more battles, improve his top-speed and explosiveness, and work on his shot, but he's looking like a good two-way, second-pairing D in the NHL someday. Listen for his name to be called in the second round.

RHD Harrison Brunicke was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, and moved to Calgary when he was two years old- later playing for the Royals. He's been given a "C" rating by Central Scouting, meaning they believe he's a candidate to be picked in the 4th or 5th round, but it's my guess that he goes in the 2nd or 3rd. The 6'3",187lb rearguard has 18 points in 41 games this season to date with Kamloops of the WHL, who are dead last in the league, and second-last in goals-for. This is a player who is much more than his stats, as he doesn't have much to work with, and I think scouts will recognize this. Brunicke's 18 points are second-best for defensemen on a very poor squad. In 2022-23, Brunicke got to participate in the Memorial Cup, as Kamloops was the host, and he put up 1 goal.
Brunicke is a fairly raw, all-around defenseman with size, skating, skill, and snarl, who can munch minutes. He's quite physical and intense, and has bite to his game- he will even drop the gloves when needed. He is used in all situations for the Blazers, and plays both special teams. His highlight reel is very entertaining, and fans say he's good for a least few jaw-dropping moments each night. This is a big guy who is highly mobile, maybe even explosive- with great agility, balance, and edgework, who can beat smaller players in a foot race. He did well in on-ice testing leading up to the CHL Top Prospects Game, and finished 4th in the field in "Weave Agility with Puck". Brunicke likes to join the attack, and has a good, hard shot, with soft hands in close. He will pinch low, manipulating opponents to open space, and make plays to teammates in high-danger. He's a supremely talented stickhandler, with some dynamic skill, and has an arsenal of 1-on-1 moves to make opponents look silly- he can fake them out of their skates, then deke around, or through them. He's highly deceptive on breakouts as well, using little fakes in his body, stick, and feet to shake off attackers, then form a quality breakout. He shows intensity in the D-zone as well, angling opponents to the boards, then finishing them. One has to ponder how he would look on a better team...
Brunicke is very raw, and will need time to round out his game. He needs to learn patience, and has to tighten up his defensive positioning. Many say he's prone to mistakes in transition- he can throw the puck away, or pass into his teammates' skates. He's much better off carrying it in himself. I love this kid, and I think he has major upside- the ceiling is high, but the floor is low.

Last edited by Sandman; 01-31-2024 at 03:21 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 03:26 AM   #550
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
He actually reminds me a bit of Iginla senior, he has a mean side to his game and isn't afraid to play the power forward at all like you said.
One of my favorite forwards in this draft.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:04 AM   #551
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Harry was an unreal soccer player before he chose the hockey route a bunch of years ago.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 09:59 AM   #552
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all aboard the Iggy 2.0 train
Old 01-31-2024, 01:20 PM   #553
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...024-nhl-draft/

Jason Bukala’s rankings

Has Iginla at 10 and Lindstrom at 14.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 01:26 PM   #554
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...024-nhl-draft/

Jason Bukala’s rankings

Has Iginla at 10 and Lindstrom at 14.
I've always been pretty leery of Bukala, I find his lists are usually never even close, but that's a hot take for sure and perhaps not entirely out of reality.

People know what Iggy was able to do and how much that bloodline could likely pan out with both Tij and Joe. Wouldn't surprise me, but only if teams truly think Lindstrom is a 1 trick pony with little no to upside.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:19 PM   #555
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bukala was also adamant no one would pick up Ruzicka on waivers fwiw (or rather I guess he said he wouldn't touch Ruzicka were he in a decision-making position on an NHL team)
Old 01-31-2024, 02:22 PM   #556
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way the Flames are trending im hopping on the Demidov train.

Probably have him ranked number 2 after Lindstrom for my list of preferred draftees for the Flames. Kids a machine.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:22 PM   #557
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm about this. I don't see the upside on Lindstrom as high as many here. I think he's using his size advantage a lot in the lower leagues and he won't have the size strength card to play for a quite a while in the next tier.

I'm also still thumping the Eiserman drum. It is blowing my mind that he's dropping in the rankings- his goal scoring ability is no doubt the top of the class. The guy is made to put the puck in the net.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:27 PM   #558
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I'm about this. I don't see the upside on Lindstrom as high as many here. I think he's using his size advantage a lot in the lower leagues and he won't have the size strength card to play for a quite a while in the next tier.

I'm also still thumping the Eiserman drum. It is blowing my mind that he's dropping in the rankings- his goal scoring ability is no doubt the top of the class. The guy is made to put the puck in the net.
But he straight up sucks everywhere else. Like really really badly. One trick ponies don't tend to stick around at the NHL level. Like....he's closer IMO to that wunderkind the Oilers had before they truly tanked. What the heck was his name. It's been a long standing joke he'd have 1300 points by now. And it definitely looks like Eiserman doesn't have an interest in actually impov8ng the 200ft game either. It's not a good look and is why he was left off Tema U.S.A

As for Lindstrom. 10lbs of muscle on that frame and he's unstoppable. He's not soft either. I Appreciate the difference of opinion.

Last edited by dammage79; 01-31-2024 at 02:31 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 02:51 PM   #559
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
But he straight up sucks everywhere else. Like really really badly. One trick ponies don't tend to stick around at the NHL level. Like....he's closer IMO to that wunderkind the Oilers had before they truly tanked. What the heck was his name. It's been a long standing joke he'd have 1300 points by now. And it definitely looks like Eiserman doesn't have an interest in actually impov8ng the 200ft game either. It's not a good look and is why he was left off Tema U.S.A

As for Lindstrom. 10lbs of muscle on that frame and he's unstoppable. He's not soft either. I Appreciate the difference of opinion.
Does Lindstrom play on the same line as McKenna? Sometimes guys can be carried by super elite players like McKenna. If McKenna was an 05 instead of an 07 just with this season he would be top 10.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:56 PM   #560
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wont be mad, but maybe a little disappointed if we end up with a top 10 pick and take a dman. Not that I dont think there are some great guys available, but dmen are much easier to acquire than a top line center or game breaking winger.
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft