Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #541
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'd go check out the other apartment building tenants for starters.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #542
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
So Calgary has contributed more than 20% of Canadian-born terrorists, while the city itself represents about 3.3% of the population.

What is it about Calgary that makes people want to become terrorists?
Girls here are harder to please. In my mind, this all comes down to a bunch of disgruntled guys who can't get laid taking their angst out in new ways.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #543
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Girls here are harder to please. In my mind, this all comes down to a bunch of disgruntled guys who can't get laid taking their angst out in new ways.
So you ate saying its a MGTOW thing?

Man, what ever happened to just masturbating if you can't get laid?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #544
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think there's definitely something to this, that those types of guys (the mens rights/MGTOW types) are being targeted by ISIS and others because this gives them an outlet to take out all their aggression, all while being in a group that hopes to essentially enslave women.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #545
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Calgary brothers the latest Canadians identified as fighting for ISIS

Full story
Crazy. I went to high-school with Colin and we have a lot of mutual friends. We went to parties together and hung out in the same circles. He was always a good guy, never one to want to fight or start a conflict, very chill, very laid-back and easy going.

I had him on facebook and a couple of years ago he started posting stuff about Islam, nothing extreme just verses from the Koran. Slowly his posts got more and more extreme, linking to articles from jihadist websites, openly condemning the west and the rest of Canada in the name of Islam. Eventually it got so bad he would get in arguments on facebook regularly. I never engaged in the dialogue but reading it was pretty worrying. I don't go on facebook much anymore so kind of forgot about it then a few days ago people close to me were contacted by CBC to comment on Colin telling them that he was living in Syria and had joined ISIS. It's almost surreal reading this article and thinking about the Colin I used to know.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #546
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Crazy. I went to high-school with Colin and we have a lot of mutual friends. We went to parties together and hung out in the same circles. He was always a good guy, never one to want to fight or start a conflict, very chill, very laid-back and easy going.

I had him on facebook and a couple of years ago he started posting stuff about Islam, nothing extreme just verses from the Koran. Slowly his posts got more and more extreme, linking to articles from jihadist websites, openly condemning the west and the rest of Canada in the name of Islam. Eventually it got so bad he would get in arguments on facebook regularly. I never engaged in the dialogue but reading it was pretty worrying. I don't go on facebook much anymore so kind of forgot about it then a few days ago people close to me were contacted by CBC to comment on Colin telling them that he was living in Syria and had joined ISIS. It's almost surreal reading this article and thinking about the Colin I used to know.

Did he ever get laid at these parties?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #547
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just wish canada had a policy in place to revoke citizenship in these cases... Just think, one of these Canadians turns jihadist could get captured by say American forces... And then play the Canadian card.... Which means the tax payers would be on the hook to defend this guy and try and get him back on Canadian soil
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #548
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
I just wish canada had a policy in place to revoke citizenship in these cases... Just think, one of these Canadians turns jihadist could get captured by say American forces... And then play the Canadian card.... Which means the tax payers would be on the hook to defend this guy and try and get him back on Canadian soil
I've wondered about the Federal gov'ts involvement as well. The response so far has been nothing but sound bites, and talking points. It wouldn't be difficult to drive through some legislation to revoke the citizenship of what are now enemy combatants. If they return to Canada, are they not natural recruiters of other extremists?

If that is the first step, where is the line drawn between 'strong' and 'excessive'?

Should we limit and restrict the immigration of people from countries which are largely Muslim? Maybe the Muslim population of Canada needs time and space to gain control over the members of their assembly, and the rapid introduction of members from states with poor education on dealing with non-Islamic people and religions should be cut.

I worry that there is an element of self-segregation occurring with new arrivals to Canada.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #549
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Canada can simply refuse to help them out and leave them to the justice system of the country they're in. As much as I like the idea of revoking citizenship, its a dangerous precedence because it would allow a government to merely revoke citizen ship to people that they don't like.

Of course there will be these movements out there and b1tching and complaining that the government isn't doing enough to help these misguided kids.

Personally I like the idea of re-opening kingston if these losers try to come back or get injured. Bring back the lifetime sentence with no parole for terror related crimes, and bring back sentences at hard labor

Lots of roads need paving and lots of camp toilets needs scrubby scrubby.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #550
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How on earth do you revoke citizenship for folks who may very well have been born in Canada and only have one citizenship - Canadian?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #551
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
How on earth do you revoke citizenship for folks who may very well have been born in Canada and only have one citizenship - Canadian?
Summary execution comes to mind.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #552
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I've wondered about the Federal gov'ts involvement as well. The response so far has been nothing but sound bites, and talking points. It wouldn't be difficult to drive through some legislation to revoke the citizenship of what are now enemy combatants. If they return to Canada, are they not natural recruiters of other extremists?

If that is the first step, where is the line drawn between 'strong' and 'excessive'?

Should we limit and restrict the immigration of people from countries which are largely Muslim? Maybe the Muslim population of Canada needs time and space to gain control over the members of their assembly, and the rapid introduction of members from states with poor education on dealing with non-Islamic people and religions should be cut.

I worry that there is an element of self-segregation occurring with new arrivals to Canada.
I don't think the Canadian government could use religion as the reason to deny immigration. However, it should be pointed out that Canada accepts a lot of Muslim refugees because a lot of Muslim countries are war torn. Now I'm hopeful that Canadian ideals of freedom and gender equality works it way back to their home country versus oppressive ideals being brought here.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #553
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Canada can simply refuse to help them out and leave them to the justice system of the country they're in. As much as I like the idea of revoking citizenship, its a dangerous precedence because it would allow a government to merely revoke citizen ship to people that they don't like.

Of course there will be these movements out there and b1tching and complaining that the government isn't doing enough to help these misguided kids.

Personally I like the idea of re-opening kingston if these losers try to come back or get injured. Bring back the lifetime sentence with no parole for terror related crimes, and bring back sentences at hard labor

Lots of roads need paving and lots of camp toilets needs scrubby scrubby.
Bueno idea..... Although it's pretty much impossible to revoke citizenship, all consular affairs could be denied easy enough...
The UK must be awfully tired of this scenario, it truly is getting out of hand there...
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #554
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I don't think the Canadian government could use religion as the reason to deny immigration. However, it should be pointed out that Canada accepts a lot of Muslim refugees because a lot of Muslim countries are war torn. Now I'm hopeful that Canadian ideals of freedom and gender equality works it way back to their home country versus oppressive ideals being brought here.
Not suggesting that religion become a route to deny immigration, but identifying those countries whose education and social structure lead to the kind of fanaticism that we are having difficulty controlling. A Muslim raised in Britain is going to be vastly different in their approach to life than a Muslim raised in Libya. I don't think that we are capable of rehabilitating hate of that ingrained nature in Canada, at the moment. I realize that this would also deny good people immigration status because of the actions of others, but I don't see another solution that we can implement. It's either one extreme reaction or the opposite, which is no reaction.

I really am just jotting down thoughts, but am pretty such that the status quo is not working, and not acceptable. 130 Canadians angry and indoctrinated so far as to engage in a holy war in another country has to be the tip of the iceberg for a larger group of slightly less angry and indoctrinated.

The only people that are going to change their minds are other Muslims in a controlled setting. All that the non-Muslim population can do to help is control that setting, and trust the leaders in the Islamic community.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #555
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post

It is pretty crazy that has joined ISIS. My brother and i were friends with him as well. Always liked him and thought he was a chill guy. Definitely did not see this coming, although i knew about this for some time. It was his brother that dragged him into this, i feel sad for his parents!
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #556
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

These guys lived in my apartment downtown. Pretty creepy.
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #557
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzz View Post
These guys lived in my apartment downtown. Pretty creepy.
Congrats on being added to the CSIS watch list.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #558
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Canada is already giving preference based on religion. They aren't denying immigration based on religion, but they are giving refugee status based on religion. Specifically to Syrian Christians. They are giving them refugee status on the grounds that they will face persecution if they go back to living in a muslim majority state that has been overrun with fanatics.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #559
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Canada is already giving preference based on religion. They aren't denying immigration based on religion, but they are giving refugee status based on religion. Specifically to Syrian Christians. They are giving them refugee status on the grounds that they will face persecution if they go back to living in a muslim majority state that has been overrun with fanatics.
Is that preference based on religion though, or is it just the reason for a very obvious refugee status claim?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #560
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Is that preference based on religion though, or is it just the reason for a very obvious refugee status claim?
IMO it is. In a place in the state of Syria/Iraq there are many people with obvious refugee claims (half of the population of Syria has been displaced). The fact Canada is giving preference to victims of religious persecution over the multitude of regular persecution is going to effectively result in Christians having greater access to immigration.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: