Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #521
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I'm pretty sure Ahsoka's species is also purely carnivorous, and they also eat anything living.

Maybe she and Baby Yoda will bond over that...
Season Finale Ashoka and Baby Yoda eyeing up Mando for a BBQ.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #522
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's one aspect that I really tend to like in this show is it hints at why something like the First Order would be able to rise with its renewed message of bringing Order to the Galaxy.

It gives you a feeling that the Rebellion/New Republic has somewhat failed. Sure they blew up the Death Star, and killed the Emperor and Vader. But they replaced that government with another one that feels even more uncaring and with less presence especially in the outer ring.

We had two fighters basically just decide to open fire on a ship that posed no threat to them, wasn't locking weapons on them.

Last season we had X-Wings pop in and just open fire on a smuggler's base, no due process at all. Just very empire like viciousness

Cara talked about leaving the Republic Military iirc because they took the army and were using them against protestors.

On Tatooine the Empire leaves and slavers moves in under the name of the Mining Guild.

Every planet we've seen has been dirt poor and chaotic to the point of anarchy with no rule of law.

I'm sure if we went to the inner core Rich Worlds didn't care all that much about the transition from Empire to Republic because they continued to be allowed to grow their wealth on the resources of the outer rim.

By the time we got to the events of FA and TLJ, we saw no ships coming to help the resistance because the people of the galaxy just didn't care and the New Republic was dead, but had really failed.

In fact the biggest fumble goes to Palpatine, if he would have kept his mouth shut and started blasting planets, I'm sure the resistance would have failed and died out and people would have been content under the First Order.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #523
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There's one aspect that I really tend to like in this show is it hints at why something like the First Order would be able to rise with its renewed message of bringing Order to the Galaxy.

It gives you a feeling that the Rebellion/New Republic has somewhat failed. Sure they blew up the Death Star, and killed the Emperor and Vader. But they replaced that government with another one that feels even more uncaring and with less presence especially in the outer ring.

We had two fighters basically just decide to open fire on a ship that posed no threat to them, wasn't locking weapons on them.

Last season we had X-Wings pop in and just open fire on a smuggler's base, no due process at all. Just very empire like viciousness

Cara talked about leaving the Republic Military iirc because they took the army and were using them against protestors.

On Tatooine the Empire leaves and slavers moves in under the name of the Mining Guild.

Every planet we've seen has been dirt poor and chaotic to the point of anarchy with no rule of law.

I'm sure if we went to the inner core Rich Worlds didn't care all that much about the transition from Empire to Republic because they continued to be allowed to grow their wealth on the resources of the outer rim.

By the time we got to the events of FA and TLJ, we saw no ships coming to help the resistance because the people of the galaxy just didn't care and the New Republic was dead, but had really failed.

In fact the biggest fumble goes to Palpatine, if he would have kept his mouth shut and started blasting planets, I'm sure the resistance would have failed and died out and people would have been content under the First Order.

Sounds like you are describing a massive power vacuum left by the empire and that the reality is that the New Republic failed utterly to fill it. Now why did they fail? Was there a schism of some kind? Or did the rebellion punch way above it's weight, catching the galaxy off guard resulting in said power vacuum because no one was really prepared for the empire to fall?
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #524
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I do agree with this somewhat. However we are also largely setting the undeveloped outer planets that are largely populated by randoms.

Most of the populated planets, however, would have their own developed systems of government and wouldn't need strict control from a centralized force.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #525
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Sounds like you are describing a massive power vacuum left by the empire and that the reality is that the New Republic failed utterly to fill it. Now why did they fail? Was there a schism of some kind? Or did the rebellion punch way above it's weight, catching the galaxy off guard resulting in said power vacuum because no one was really prepared for the empire to fall?

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #526
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You ranalogy with Stalin and the wall is perfect. As it includes the effects of the power vacuum leading to disillusion with the system(New Republic) leading to the rise/welcoming of the populist strong man(First Order).

When viewed this way the last episode had some good world building and the series over all has been consistent in this regard too as per your earlier examples.

Now to cement the idea we need to see more of the Remnants/Proto Orders ability to project force about the galaxy. The season one finale showed a bit of that power but we need more.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:11 AM   #527
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to the short episodes this week, but no one can complain that it didn't advance the storyline.

I wonder how many more Deadwood alumni will be showing up this season?
Old 11-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #528
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best episode yet. I kind of feel like people who took a pass on Clone Wars and Rebels are going to miss the significance of what’s happening. I highly recommend watching those series, don’t pass on them because they’re animated.

I am absolutely stoked for next week.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #529
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although I don't think it was mentioned in the episode, Sasha Banks' character is named Koska Reeves, and the male Mandalorian is Axe Woves. Also, Banks is credited with her real name, Mercedes Varnado.

Either the reports that Banks was playing Sabine were wrong, or she's working under a fake name for some reason. I guess I can go back to hoping they'll cast Tiya Sircar as Sabine.

I thought they did a great job making Sackhoff look like Bo-Katan.

I suspect it will still be at least another couple of episodes before he finally finds Ahsoka. Based on the scenes in the trailer, I'm guessing next week will be his reunion with Greef and Cara, and hopefully get the Razor Crest properly repaired. He also needs to find a new transport egg for the Child.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #530
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Re-watching this one tonight after staying up late to catch it. So damn good with Bo-Katan's appearance. I jumped out of my chair when she took off her helmet.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #531
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Man that was awesome. So happy to see Sackhoff play that character on the big screen. She did such a great job.

I loved just how efficient they were, the way they held the blasters, the shots, it felt so accurate.

Also really cool to get the explanation on why they were always taking their helmets off in Clone Wars/Rebels lol. Good job!

So in season 1 the armor those Mando's were wearing that saved Djinn looked like Death Watch, as does Bo Katan's obviously as she was once Death Watch to. Children of the Watch is a cult splinter cell derived from Death Watch that means, pretty cool how they are intertwining, exploring and expanding on all of this Mandalorian lore, but at the same time it doesn't feel like it is the main focus of the show.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #532
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Although I don't think it was mentioned in the episode, Sasha Banks' character is named Koska Reeves, and the male Mandalorian is Axe Woves. Also, Banks is credited with her real name, Mercedes Varnado.

Either the reports that Banks was playing Sabine were wrong, or she's working under a fake name for some reason. I guess I can go back to hoping they'll cast Tiya Sircar as Sabine.

I thought they did a great job making Sackhoff look like Bo-Katan.

I suspect it will still be at least another couple of episodes before he finally finds Ahsoka. Based on the scenes in the trailer, I'm guessing next week will be his reunion with Greef and Cara, and hopefully get the Razor Crest properly repaired. He also needs to find a new transport egg for the Child.
If we are going to see Sabine anywhere I would guess it is with Ahsoka, as in the timeline the two of them should be looking for Ezra right now no?
Old 11-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #533
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ahsoka is my absolute favorite character in the entire Star Wars universe, so I can't wait to see her show up. Sabine would just be icing on the cake for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2020, 01:24 PM   #534
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
If we are going to see Sabine anywhere I would guess it is with Ahsoka, as in the timeline the two of them should be looking for Ezra right now no?
It wasn't exactly clear as to when the final scene of Rebels takes place. It's some time after the Battle of Endor, but not likely that long after based on the apparent age of Hera's son.

I believe The Mandalorian takes place 4 or 5 years after Endor. That gives them plenty of time to have found Ezra and returned.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #535
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay. I dont watch the cartoon show so I clearly have no idea who these people are.

But Star Wars....I am warning you...if you go back to the 'if you knew this/watched that you'd know whats going on' Well....I am going to be seriously pissed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2020, 01:38 PM   #536
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay. I dont watch the cartoon show so I clearly have no idea who these people are.

But Star Wars....I am warning you...if you go back to the 'if you knew this/watched that you'd know whats going on' Well....I am going to be seriously pissed.
These "Cartoons" have some of the best Star Wars content and characters ever created

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #537
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
These "Cartoons" have some of the best Star Wars content and characters ever created
Sure, and I'm sure they're great.

But I dont care.

I'm watching this show. And this show should make sense based on what its showing me.

Not expecting me to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the rest of the entire expanded universe.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #538
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

But I dont care.

I'm watching this show. And this show should make sense based on what its showing me.

Not expecting me to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the rest of the entire expanded universe.
They wouldn't be able to make a very good show if they didn't dig into the expanded universe at all. Half (or more) of all the references from the Mandalorian have some further explanation from the Clone Wars or Rebels shows. You're just doing yourself a disservice by not watching them, but I guess I am wasting my time since you don't care.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #539
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But I dont care.

I'm the same. I've never watched any of the animated shows, and I don't give a crap about the EU or any of the books, games, etc.. I love Star Wars, but I'm strictly a movie/live action guy when it comes to that stuff.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #540
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not the EU...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote