Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #521
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I hate having to defend people that say stupid ####, except every single one of those soundbites is edited and provided without any context whatsoever. We're better than that.

She really is that bad and nothing is shown out of context. She's trying to be a comedian with one liners.

Of course, it's just that. Nothing much else to it. People can easily avoid her.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #522
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
She really is that bad and nothing is shown out of context. She's trying to be a comedian with one liners.

Of course, it's just that. Nothing much else to it. People can easily avoid her.

EVERYTHING is shown without context. That is the point of the video. As I said, we're better than this.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #523
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

EVERYTHING is shown without context. That is the point of the video. As I said, we're better than this.
Yes, it's a quick video, but generally when you say something is shown out of context, the message or intent of the speaker is being intentionally misconstrued by the video editor.

What I'm saying is that it's not. This is her message.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #524
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

You can just go check out her Twitter if you think this is all taken out of context.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #525
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I don't agree with the majority of what she says, particularly regarding Bush's culpability regarding her husband and son, people who normally get upset about Political Correctness sure are getting upset about some mean words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #526
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess celebration of death isn't something shared between the two parties.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #527
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Yes, it's a quick video, but generally when you say something is shown out of context, the message or intent of the speaker is being intentionally misconstrued by the video editor.
Which is exactly what has happened here. The editor provided no context for what precedes or follows the snippets in question. That is taking something out of context.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that it's not. This is her message.
That may be, but the video does not present that in any shape or form. This is a hatchet job. Plain and simple. Take her apart for what she says - in context - but not for garbage like this. This is the very RW yellow journalism we complain about, and make fun off, but here it is being used for reasons so many object to.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #528
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you really think you need to watch those entire interviews, read her entire catalogue of tweets, and read all of her published works from beginning to end just to understand the context of what was said and what kind of person she is, then I don't know what else to say here. I mean, you can consume all that content, but I'm telling you right now that her message doesn't change.

If you want to call that video right wing yellow journalism, just lol. People edit videos all the time to get a theme across and to limit time. You think that's unique to the right?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:51 AM   #529
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something can be taken out of context but still be a fair representation of the speaker's views. It's just better practice to keep the full context because it's difficult to tell if that's the case, so you're going to have to look at the context anyway to find out. In this case I don't think I could listen to that for long enough, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #530
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I think there's an inverse corollary between people who find Peterson's comments on universities accurate and the length of time it's been since they stepped foot into one (if ever).
I have a constant internal debate about this issue on the macro level. I went to a small liberal arts school 15 years ago. (my degree is in math though) And I experienced nothing close to what people portray colleges as these days. Heck, we had Dinesh D'Souza as a campus speaker. Not exactly a bastion of liberalism there.

Since graduating I have now worked at 3 different colleges in support services roles. (including currently at a major university) And in my time at these institutions I have also not seen the sort of behavior that is vilified online by conservatives.

However, I do see the bad examples that people share online including the recent dufus at Fresno State. So I am constantly trying to reconcile what I see and experience with the bad apples. My life experience tells me that the examples we see are the extreme minority. Yet people love to make out all of higher ed as some sort of Soros funded training ground for all of the sorts of lifestyles they disagree with. I just don't see it. Have I just been incredibly lucky in my life experiences that I have missed it?
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #531
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Identarian dogma is concentrated in particular institutions and programs. But it is a thing, and it's growing in influence.

https://heterodoxacademy.org/the-problem/

The issue isn't that 70 per cent of students are radicals calling for overturning the neo-colonial patriarchy. The issue is that the 10-15 per cent of students and faculty who do hold those beliefs hold them very, very strongly, and university administrations are so terrified of being branded as racist, sexist institutions of patriarchal oppression that they accede to demands made by what are relatively small numbers of activists.

Furthermore, academics and administrators are so politically homogenous today, that even the moderates who don't agree with radicals won't stick their necks over the ramparts because they don't want to slurred as bigots, neocons, or the alt-right. If you're a moderate centrist who disagrees with campus radicalism and speaks up, you'll be denounced as an alt-right bigot by your fellow professors, let alone the radicals themselves. So why take the risk?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-23-2018 at 11:53 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #532
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Identarian dogma is concentrated in particular institutions and programs. But it is a thing, and it's growing in influence.

https://heterodoxacademy.org/the-problem/

The issue isn't that 70 per cent of students are radicals calling for overturning the neo-colonial patriarchy. The issue is that the 10-15 per cent of students who do hold those beliefs hold them very, very strongly, and university administrations are so terrified of being branded as racist, sexist institutions of patriarchal oppression that they accede to demands made by what are relatively small numbers of activists.

Furthermore, academics and administrators are so politically homogenous today, that even the moderates who don't agree with radicals won't stick their necks over the ramparts because they don't want to slurred as bigots, neocons, or the alt-right. If you're a moderate centrist who disagrees with campus radicalism and speaks up, you'll be denounced as an alt-right bigot by your fellow professors, let alone the radicals themselves. So why take the risk?
Except Jordan Peterson did take the risk right? And there are a few others as well.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #533
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Except Jordan Peterson did take the risk right? And there are a few others as well.
A few, but those people want the spotlight. They see an opportunity to gain a profile. Gad Saad is a perfect example of this, and it's transparent. In contrast, a lot of professors just want to be professors, teach their students and write academic materials. That's why they're professors to begin with - they care deeply and specifically about the subjects they're expert in, not about the political landscape of the day. If that describes you, you're better off just keeping your head down. Same goes for students - if you're there to learn what you came to learn, get your degree and get out into the world, getting into fights with ideologues is an emotionally draining time suck that does absolutely nothing to advance your life project. Better not to make a stir or question the prevailing political dogma.

I don't think the Christakises wanted to be public figures - they were thrust out of their positions at Harvard and into the spotlight. That's something a lot of people would say is best avoided if possible. And it is possible - in fact it's the easiest thing to do. Just keep your mouth shut, make the right sorts of noises when called upon and don't piss anybody off.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #534
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The NBC hitjob?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #535
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't worry, I'm sure all the Peterson ball washers have already flocked to thumbs down that YouTube video.

Alt-Right people are the literal new hipsters. Like hipsters, they take umbrage with being called by this name, but everyone knows what they are anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #536
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before I get flamed for this, it's a freaking meme and joke and not meant to be taken seriously.

Spoiler!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #537
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Alt-Right people are the literal new hipsters. Like hipsters, they take umbrage with being called by this name, but everyone knows what they are anyway.
Hahaha, you are such a parody of yourself at times. "Why won't you just shut up and accept my simplistic and borderline slanderous labeling of your belief structure, dammit?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #538
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Hahah

(To the image, not Corsi, he’s not funny)
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #539
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm funny looking. That's worth something, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #540
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess everyone right of Psycnet is Alt Right. We got some real caricatures here.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post: