Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #521
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does the Jury sequestered tonight or tomorrow after the judges instructions?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #522
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
No evidence of filings to show lock on Liknes home was drilled, says Ross. No evidence even of a drill. #Garland

How else would you create holes like that in a lock, seriously?
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #523
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One thing I've never understood is how a jury member would NOT be biased after hearing all the evidence. Regardless of there being no evidence that places Garland at the Liknes home, or no evidence that the 3 were killed at the home, I feel like if I were a member of the jury, it would be hard to find him not guilty regardless of the lack of direct evidence as mentioned. I would probably think he's guilty based on the opening arguments.

I understand that it's "innocent until proven guilty" but personally, it would take a lot more to convince me that he's innocent (or not guilty I should say) versus convincing me that he is guilty.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #524
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
No evidence of filings to show lock on Liknes home was drilled, says Ross. No evidence even of a drill. #Garland

For reference is anyone hasn't seen the photo

Not sure how Ross could say that.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #525
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Can a lawyer object to a closing statement. In Canadian Law does the prosecution and defense have a right to rebut the closing statement?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #526
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ross said "violent and fatal struggle" happened in Liknes home- said yet if #Garland why was there no blood/DNA on floor mat of truck

Ross:-if the crown theory is correct and in Liknes home wearing Delta 2 shoes-there's no DNA on truck floormat he tells jury #Garland

Ross: "there is no blood or DNA found in the bed liner of that truck" #Garland

Ina Sidhu ‏@CTVInaSidhu 6m6 minutes ago
More
Ross says if someone is going to move bodies in daylight - you better make sure they're concealed. He says there are no bodies in that truck

Ross: There is nothing that places Douglas #garland in that house @CTVCalgary
Old 02-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #527
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
For reference is anyone hasn't seen the photo

[IMG]

Not sure how Ross could say that.
To me its all just an attempt at misdirection. It really doesnt matter what was used to disable the lock. They are just grasping at anything that the defence can use to try establish some obscure form of "doubt".
Old 02-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #528
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Can a lawyer object to a closing statement. In Canadian Law does the prosecution and defense have a right to rebut the closing statement?
No not really. After closing arguments you can complain to the judge that your opponent has done something wrong / incorrect / misleading and ask for the judge to instruct the jury to ignore something that was argued.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #529
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

-Ross: white tarp "not laid out, covering" truck bed. "There are no bodies in that truck." #Garland

-If you don't want anybody to see what was in the truck, says Ross, you'd cover it better. #Garland

So apparently you have to completely cover the back of a truck for there to be bodies in the back of a truck. Interesting. They will have to include that advice in the next edition of how to kill and get away with it.

Last edited by greyshep; 02-13-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #530
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 5s6 seconds ago
More
Ross: no evidence #Garland ever had a pair of shoes matching prints found at Liknes home (although empty box was found at Garland home)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #531
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Ross said "violent and fatal struggle" happened in Liknes home- said yet if #Garland why was there no blood/DNA on floor mat of truck

@CTVCalgary
Not that a rebuttal is needed, but if they get one, this opens a point for the Crown: No other DNA was found. Whoever killed them, they managed to not drop any or enough DNA to be discovered. Since this is clearly not a murder-suicide as the bodies were gone, and the DNA of the victims wound up at the Garland farm, what other possible conclusion is there?
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #532
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
One thing I've never understood is how a jury member would NOT be biased after hearing all the evidence. Regardless of there being no evidence that places Garland at the Liknes home, or no evidence that the 3 were killed at the home, I feel like if I were a member of the jury, it would be hard to find him not guilty regardless of the lack of direct evidence as mentioned. I would probably think he's guilty based on the opening arguments.

I understand that it's "innocent until proven guilty" but personally, it would take a lot more to convince me that he's innocent (or not guilty I should say) versus convincing me that he is guilty.
This is the kind of thing I'm questioning of myself too. Not exactly the bias per se, but questioning my use of common sense vs. cold hard logical facts.

Seeing as there is no DNA evidence connecting him to the home, if one was being absolutely logical, you would have to acquit, right?

However, common sense tells me that there was a motive, his truck was seen leaving the scene, and there were aerial images of three bodies on his property, and therefore he's likely guilty.

Is a jury member supposed to be a robot in these situations?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #533
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 5s6 seconds ago
More
Ross: no evidence #Garland ever had a pair of shoes matching prints found at Liknes home (although empty box was found at Garland home)
There was footage of him wearing those shoes at Princess Auto
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #534
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find this to be a really interesting case and I'm trying to remain objective when watching the case unfold. The Crown and police have done an excellent job of putting together the crime that was committed but actually matching that crime to Garland requires a bit of speculation. It is unlikely that someone else killed the victims but at the same time there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to implicate Garland of murder. I wonder how long the jury will take to come to a decision or if it will become a hung juror situation.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 02-13-2017 at 03:56 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #535
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

The lack of DNA at the house is not Reasonable doubt in my opinion, reasonable doubt would be if they found someone else's DNA at the house. And if I was a juror trying to be a robot, the prosecution bringing up the suit evidence explains why there isn't any...
Old 02-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #536
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I find this to be a really interesting case and I'm trying to remain objective when watching the case unfold. The Crown and police have done an excellent job of putting together the crime that was committed but actually matching that crime to Garland requires a bit of speculation. It is unlikely that someone else killed the victims but at the same time there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to implicate Garland. I wonder how long the jury will take to come to a decision or if it will become a hung juror situation.
I didn't hear all the evidence, but it seems to be a very strong circumstantial case. Stronger than OJ.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #537
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a mountain of evidence implicating Garland. He will be found guilty based on what was reported in the media. This isn't a highly circumstantial case, hell the bodies are seen from an aircraft above and their DNA was everywhere on the farm. Unless Grandma and Grandpa Garland did it there is only one suspect.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #538
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
There was a mountain of evidence implicating Garland. He will be found guilty based on what was reported in the media. This isn't a highly circumstantial case, hell the bodies are seen from an aircraft above and their DNA was everywhere on the farm. Unless Grandma and Grandpa Garland did it there is only one suspect.
I've this on TV before.

It was Garlands mortal enemy in an elaborate attempt to frame him.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #539
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So much desperation in these arguments...

Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
"No doubt there is DNA" of victims at #Garland farm; but it doesn't mean he caused their deaths. Says they are two separate events.

So I guess they are suggesting that all three went over there for a bbq around the burn barrel and fell in by accident?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #540
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts

Looks like it was drilled. I learned long ago that when I drill metal to use a big ass magnet underneath to catch filings.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post: