Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #521
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hundreds of people in his riding? Pfft. The general consensus in Anderson's riding is not remotely positive. He is an egotistical git - he calls his family the Kennedys of Airdrie."

Not hardly, Anderson.

And Bruce McCallister has the worst case of little man syndrome ever.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #522
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Hundreds of people in his riding? Pfft. The general consensus in Anderson's riding is not remotely positive. He is an egotistical git - he calls his family the Kennedys of Airdrie."

Not hardly, Anderson.

And Bruce McCallister has the worst case of little man syndrome ever.
Hahahah. When has he said that?
Old 01-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #523
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The nomination race for Airdrie is going to be rather interesting. An MLA might be forgiven once for crossing if they can convince the populace that it was done on principle. But there really is no excuse that can justify crossing twice. In the case of most of the defectors though, the only real competition will come at the party nomination level. Many of these ridings just aren't likely to move left in a general election. Though an edge case like Airdrie - which has become consistently more urban with each election - might be one to make a statement.

From a Liberal Party perspective, I think their lack of a leader with personality is going to cause them to waste an opportunity. The even dumber thing is that they are probably going to recapture much of the "anybody but Wildrose" vote that went PC last time out, return to square one, and pat themselves on the back for a job well done without even realizing they wasted an opportunity.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #524
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Decimated Wildrose Party sees Christmas surge in donations after defections

Quote:
“The surge in financing has been specifically related to the events of December 17th," said Yager.

He would not specify the amount of money raised but says an end-of-year appeal for funds has provided an unexpected and “tremendous” boost to party coffers.

“On the fundraising side, rumours of our demise are greatly exaggerated."

He said donor response is coming from “all over the place,” grassroots members, as well as the corporate “guys downtown” or what the party considers high net-worth donors
Quote:
Yager says the party raised little or no money last year during the Christmas break when its fundraising machine normally shuts down during the holidays.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/02...ter-defections
Old 01-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #525
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I believe that there will be a backlash against the PC's for this floor crossing. While it probably won't effect the actual seat distribution in the Legislature. It will be seen in terms of the popular vote. The Liberal's and NDP might see a increase in their voter base not their seat base.

The Wildrose will probably keep the seats that they currently have and might actually gain some seats if the voters decide to punish the floor crosses. But the next election is about the Wildrose establishing a post Smith base.

I'm going to be watching Smith's seat with a great deal of interest.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:11 AM   #526
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Rob Anderson: Why I chose not to consult with my constituents

Quote:
Crossing the floor is an excruciating decision. The worst part is knowing your character and integrity will be questioned in a very personal way by the media, constituents and even friends.
Quote:
Another commonly recited argument suggests MLAs owe some sort of absolute allegiance to the political party they were elected under; and that by leaving that party, an MLA is being disloyal to his constituents. I wholeheartedly disagree.

In our parliamentary system, an MLA is elected to represent the interests of his or her constituents, not their party. MLAs campaign on a set of principles and policies, and it is their duty to do all they can to advance those policies on their constituents’ behalf.
Quote:
One can choose to disagree with our judgment of Prentice, his policies or how our parliamentary system works. But to attack the character and integrity of the MLAs who have chosen to support and work with a premier to implement a policy agenda they were elected to advocate for in the first place, is unfair.
http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/col...ross-the-floor

From the comments ection.....

Timothy Anderson · Writer/Editor at Wooden Door & Associates
Mr. Anderson, in trying to paint this as an ethical action you do your constituents a disservice. We have already seen that Prentice follows the same pattern as the PCs you left: poor consultation, top-down decision making, backroom deals, and short-sightedness in fiscal matters.

Wildrose still stands for the things you said you stood for. By offering you an agreement document, Prentice essentially bribed you to leave the party that continued to stand for the values on which you campaigned and were elected. There was no need to leave the party. If you believed the two parties should merge, then go through the merger process in an open and above-board manner. Or you could have consulted the people who elected you. Or you could have sat as an independent. You had several options and you chose one that did not respect the voters ...and the people who worked so hard to get you elected.

By being part of a behind-doors deal, so contrary to what you were supposed to stand for, you proved that you do not have integrity. Now you are desperately trying to paint it as a move that shows your integrity. That is insulting to the people who believed in you. They have a right to be concerned, especially since you seem to be totally oblivious to the ways in which you behaved unethically. that lack of an ethical compass is what makes you think you have done nothing wrong. That lack of an ethical compass is exactly the sort of thing Wildrose is trying to fight in the PCs.

Personally, my opinion is that you belong with the PCs, but not because you have integrity. I think your actions are exactly what we have come to expect of the PCs.

Last edited by Dion; 01-05-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #527
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Mr Anderson would be willing to re-pay the money the WR provided for his last campaign.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #528
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rob Anderson will not be running next election.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Ander...236/story.html
Old 01-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #529
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

"Oh, wait. I'm not getting a cabinet position and I have to fight for my nomination? I'm out."
Old 01-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #530
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Secretly promised patronage appointment ?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #531
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or just tired of being in the public eye and taking crap.

Why would people want to be an elected official? There sure does seem to be a lot of character assassination.

No wonder there are so many smarmy politicians - very few "good" people would want to put up with the BS.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #532
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
"Oh, wait. I'm not getting a cabinet position and I have to fight for my nomination? I'm out."
I think its hilarious that just a few months ago if others had suggested that he or Danielle Smith were the least bit power hungry you would've defended them and sworn up and down that it was the other guys!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #533
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Is it as hilarious as the fact that you are still defending the PC's, Slava, even in a backhanded way such as that post?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #534
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Is it as hilarious as the fact that you are still defending the PC's, Slava, even in a backhanded way such as that post?
I can only remind you so many times that I am a card carrying member of another party. I'm not a PC member and am not defending them. Nice try though!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #535
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I can only remind you so many times that I am a card carrying member of another party. I'm not a PC member and am not defending them. Nice try though!
Typical PC apologist. I'd love to hear what you have to say to defend Stelmach Redford Hancock Prentice now.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #536
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Death threats certainly are not cool, but other than that, Anderson is laying it on thick in his play for sympathy. He's upset that he's taking crap and abuse? What was he expecting? A hero's celebration and statue in Nose Creek Park? He should have followed Smth's example and mostly kept his head down.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 01-08-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #537
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rob is a very dedicated family man. I take him at his word on the effect of the threats.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #538
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What threats?
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #539
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/07...-not-run-again
Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #540
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously people are pissed off, and with good reason, but threatening his life if ridiculous.

Politics have become completely toxic.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote