Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A simple question. Are you happy with the hiring of Burke?
YAY! 534 92.87%
NAY! 41 7.13%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #521
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone explain to me what exactly Burke's responsibilities are? How does this work in other sports?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #522
Flames Fan in Exile
Crash and Bang Winger

Location: Vancouver, under cover Flames spy in knucklehead land
Exp:

Anybody have a bet on how long it will take until he hires Tambellini.... *shudders*

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit -Aristotle
Flames Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #523
Laner99
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
Can anyone explain to me what exactly Burke's responsibilities are? How does this work in other sports?
Hopefully his responsibility is to be a strong hockey mind in the upper ranks of the organization (because Ken King is a terrible hockey mind).
Laner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #524
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never liked Burkes personality but bottom line he is a shrewd negotiator with trades and if he helps the Flames right the ship quicker so be it.
I would rather have a jerk that doesn't enjoy losing then a nice guy that accepts it.
Ideal situation for me is a nice guy that wins, a nice hockey guy .
As for Kking the expiry date should have been a number of seasons ago. Sorry he is not a hockey mind. Burke there is no doubt about it, he is.

Should be interesting to see how the dynamics of Feaster and Burke will play out.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 09-05-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #525
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Late to this party - had forgotten the Flames still operate. Never been a fan of Burke, BUT... I think he brings a lot of what this organization needs. Since Darryl's departure (regardless of what one thought of his GM'ing), the Flames have been prison wives both on and off the ice, and have emerged as a front-runner for the worst franchise in the NHL. Burke's abrasiveness, self-promotion and, yes, competence, will certainly improve our image, and his well-known penchant for "truculent" hockey will certainly be reflected on the ice. I welcome the idea that Calgary might once again become a tough place to play. Plus, love him or hate him, Burke is entertaining and will be a welcome distraction once we are eliminated from playoff contention by early December.
As for Feaster, I am sure he will do whatever it takes to hold on to his last job, but I feel no sympathy for him. He slipped the knife into Dudley in TB and Darryl here, so I shall not shed a tear if/when he departs.
As you point out everytime you post.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #526
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted this to happen and am very glad it did. Burke has a track record of success and is the most recognizable executive in the NHL. Great to have him in calgary.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #527
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I really feel like the Kessel trade is the kind of mistake you only make once.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #528
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Right. When CP spent years calling him Tubby McBlowhard, that obviously was meant as nothing but a compliment.
Just like Flyers fans would never want "Sindy Crosby" on their team.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #529
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Just like Flyers fans would never want "Sindy Crosby" on their team.
Irrelevant. When they call him Cindy, they are hardly expressing their support. These nicknames are not given out of affection or respect.

It certainly seems to be the case that most posters on CP are supportive of Burke's hiring — now. That does not mean that they thought well of him when he was running the Canucks or the Ducks, and the 'McBlowhard' gags were flying.

Anyway, Burke is no Sidney Crosby. Crosby is a bona fide superstar, a generational talent. It would be a very odd hockey fan who thought Burke was a superstar GM, or the best hockey executive of his generation.

Some of what we're seeing today, I suspect, is coming from people who are inwardly thinking, 'Oh, hell, he's on our side now, I guess I'd better learn to cheer for him' — and outwardly saying the right things to lull their cognitive dissonance to sleep.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #530
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the majority of people that called him Tubby McBlowhard did so while knowing he was a good GM and hockey mind. The fact that he was a prominent person on a rival organization is the reason for the hate, nothing to do with his effectiveness as GM.

That's the comparison I'm making with Crosby, prominent person on a rival team. I wasn't saying Burke is anywhere near the GM that Crosby is the player. Not even close.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #531
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcot View Post
It's interesting to see how the Brian Burke discussion is framed. Most are looking at this from the point of view of taking a part of Jay Feaster's role. How they feel about Feaster or Burke determines how they view this move.

However very few are talking about the distancing of Ken King from day to day hockey operations. As Burke is between Feaster and King I think this may be at least as important. Many have voiced concerns about King being to involved in Hockey operations and that the person in that role should have a hockey background - particularly when Feaster does not describe himself as a hockey man.

If you felt King should move a way from hockey operations and that a hockey guy should be in that position this would be a day to celebrate. I think this strengthens the hockey club even if Burke takes on none of Feaster's prior role, and allows Ken King to focus on what he appears to do best which is to manage the business.
The fact that John Bean's promotion was announced at the same time is no coincidence.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #532
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The fact that John Bean's promotion was announced at the same time is no coincidence.
So what's the story on this guy?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #533
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
So what's the story on this guy?
Well, for starters, his name is Bean. That left him with only two choices in life: go into accountancy and count beans, or work at Starbucks and torture them. Since he's allergic to burnt coffee and minimum wage, the decision was easy, and his present state of greatness inevitably followed.

(Seriously, I have no idea. AFAICT, he hasn't even got a bio on the Flames' website.)
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #534
Beer-gut Murray
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Craig Conroy = Skinny Pete or Badger = played by Peter Loubardias
Perfect fit.
Beer-gut Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #535
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Bean

http://www.stampeders.com/john-bean
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #536
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Some of what we're seeing today, I suspect, is coming from people who are inwardly thinking, 'Oh, hell, he's on our side now, I guess I'd better learn to cheer for him' — and outwardly saying the right things to lull their cognitive dissonance to sleep.
He may be Tubby McBlowhard, but he's our Tubby McBlowhard.

Completely agree. Other than supporting his feud with Lowe, the vast majority of people on this site had nothing good to say about him and downplayed his accomplishments.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #537
Gord Wappel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I really feel like the Kessel trade is the kind of mistake you only make once.
Yeah. I hope you are right.
I hope he understands (was made to understand) that most fans are really ok with sucking for a year or two in order to be relevant in future.
In Toronto there was a lot of pressure for the impossible.

What I will find very interesting is how it can possibly work with the media. He is is naturally a media magnet - he's good at keeping spotlight on himself. And he seemed to love it. How will this work while leaving Feaster empowered. I heard him on Toronto Radio yesterday as he deftly said "I won't be talking to anyone about that trade - Feaster will make all the calls". But how long can he resist his nature....
Gord Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #538
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
^ I think you're wrong for the most part. Most of this board has been pro-Burke over the years, way before he was even rumored to be involved in any capacity with the Flames.
I've always been pro-Burke although despite his association with the Canucks and Leafs. He's not the greatest GM of all time by any means as he's made his share of mistakes but he usually always comes out on top in trades and his last one of JVR for a 4/5 defenseman in Luke Schenn was the difference maker for the Leafs last season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #539
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Poor bean sat at the table big smile, no chance to speak at all.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #540
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
I think the majority of people that called him Tubby McBlowhard did so while knowing he was a good GM and hockey mind. The fact that he was a prominent person on a rival organization is the reason for the hate, nothing to do with his effectiveness as GM.

That's the comparison I'm making with Crosby, prominent person on a rival team. I wasn't saying Burke is anywhere near the GM that Crosby is the player. Not even close.
Just how many strawmen do you plan on arguing? Jay is right. People here hated Burke when he was with the Canucks. His behaviour following Bertuzzi's assault, particularly his callous contract "offers" to a player whose career was ended by one of his goons were reprehensible. And he was deeply criticized for that, particularly here. There was also no shortage of amusement as the Maple Leafs fumbled year after year under his watch.

Most of the board has been pro-Burke recently. Over the years? Not so much.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 09-06-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote