Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2024, 09:54 AM   #5361
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
We’re in a group. Start in Fairbanks then fly to Dawson then on to other adventures. Love the toe cocktail idea. Doing that for sure. I probably can’t hold the toe. I know Dawson is small but I thought a car would be good to get up to that dome for the gorgeous scenics from high. I wonder if there are cabs.
Ah, we didn't go up there. We were camping on the other side, and left west, so didn't bring the vehicle back over the ferry for it since it was a bit of a line. They probably have taxis.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 12:11 PM   #5362
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What you need to do is bring a straw-hat, preferably dingy, a shallow bowl, do you have hip-waders? If not coveralls are fine too, but they'll be colder, and then you just have to stake your claim and pan for gold.

Oh! And if you have a piece of wheat to chew on, so much the better!
I’ve panned for gold in Alaska and got a little that’s in a vial. My wife hadn’t so we’ll be panning.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 12:16 PM   #5363
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife bought a lovely gold inukshuk pendant made from local gold in one of the shops in town.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 02:13 PM   #5364
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ll be in Fort Lauderdale with unlimited time after an event. Thinking of driving to Charleston, SC, after. Charleston is of interest. Is it worth the trip up or what about a driving trip to Texas?

This will be in October right up against the U.S. election and those states worry me. Maybe we’d best get the f out of there. I’m thinking get out of Florida ASAP.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:23 PM   #5365
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
We’ll be in Fort Lauderdale with unlimited time after an event. Thinking of driving to Charleston, SC, after. Charleston is of interest. Is it worth the trip up or what about a driving trip to Texas?

This will be in October right up against the U.S. election and those states worry me. Maybe we’d best get the f out of there. I’m thinking get out of Florida ASAP.
I know someone living in San Diego (and has traveled a LOT) who thinks very highly of Charleston - says it's her favourite city in the U.S.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 09:29 PM   #5366
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I know someone living in San Diego (and has traveled a LOT) who thinks very highly of Charleston - says it's her favourite city in the U.S.
I’ll check Charleston out, thanks. Traveling across Florida days before the election could be either scary or interesting.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:09 AM   #5367
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ll check Charleston out, thanks. Traveling across Florida days before the election could be either scary or interesting.
Or you won’t notice a change at all.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 10:30 AM   #5368
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Charleston has a lot of great restaurants. And it's a very walkable city with historic neighbourhoods. Sullivan's beach just to the east is nice. Boone's Plantation has the nicest oak tree lane I've ever seen (250 year old oaks). You also have Savannah, Georgia not far from there which is another nice place to walk around for a day.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 10:46 AM   #5369
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would head south to Key West and explore the Keys. Great food, great music, great weather.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:27 PM   #5370
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Charleston is great! beautiful city and a lively one with a lot of bars and restaurants. Go to Husk

Outside the city, there are several plantations that do tours of the house/grounds and slave areas. Really interesting

Stop in Savannah, GA as well. the main city center is gorgeous
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 02:23 PM   #5371
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone rented a car in Europe? I am wondering about tolls. When I rented out of Toronto or LA, they try to hit me with this fee of $20/day or so to cover the tolls which is just a money grab for those who don't know better. I will be renting in Paris, driving to Belgium, Luxembourg, throughout Germany, and back to Paris. Can I simply pay for the tolls with my credit card?

I want to be ready when the rental car place tries to upsell me on things I don't need.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:40 PM   #5372
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seem to remember they just billed me the fees, but there were no extra charges. It was with Sixt. Because so many are automatic, I don't think you can just pay as you go. We did a similar trip, but left the car in Cologne.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:40 PM   #5373
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Has anyone rented a car in Europe? I am wondering about tolls. When I rented out of Toronto or LA, they try to hit me with this fee of $20/day or so to cover the tolls which is just a money grab for those who don't know better. I will be renting in Paris, driving to Belgium, Luxembourg, throughout Germany, and back to Paris. Can I simply pay for the tolls with my credit card?

I want to be ready when the rental car place tries to upsell me on things I don't need.
I can't speak for those countries, but in Italy last summer, I wasn't asked to pay the rental agency anything for tolls, and just used my credit card as needed at the toll booth.

I have rented in a few European countries over the years (though quite a while ago now, except for Italy), and I don't recall ever having to pay for tolls up front and/or not being able to pay a toll at the booth with a card.

The big thing to read about is insurance. Being able to confidently decline their insurance is a glorious thing, but make sure you know what your credit card covers, what is included (sometimes by law) in your rate, etc.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 05-14-2024 at 02:42 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:48 PM   #5374
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I can't speak for those countries, but in Italy last summer, I wasn't asked to pay the rental agency anything for tolls, and just used my credit card as needed at the toll booth.

I have rented in a few European countries over the years (though quite a while ago now, except for Italy), and I don't recall ever having to pay for tolls up front and/or not being able to pay a toll at the booth with a card.

The big thing to read about is insurance. Being able to confidently decline their insurance is a glorious thing, but make sure you know what your credit card covers, what is included (sometimes by law) in your rate, etc.
And bring a paper printout! One Enterprise location wouldn't let me decline without actually seeing the policy to attach it to the rental. Took forever to sort that out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 02:48 PM   #5375
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rented in Portugal and the car had a transponder/tag that is automatically read when you pass a toll gate. Got a bill (charge on my card) a few weeks later for the amount.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:13 PM   #5376
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post

Most rental car companies will bill you the tolls on a one-off basis with a once-per-day admin fee of something like $4.95 if you do use it. And on the days you don't, you wouldn't get charged that fee.

The $20/day can be a decent deal depending where you are. In New York where it's $15 to cross the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel or even in Toronto where the 407 is pretty pricey but you feel like you'd need it. It's not the norm for that deal to be offered, though.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:39 PM   #5377
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
I would head south to Key West and explore the Keys. Great food, great music, great weather.
Key West is pretty interesting and eclectic but the drive to get there is a LOT longer than it looks.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:02 AM   #5378
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
The $20/day can be a decent deal depending where you are. In New York where it's $15 to cross the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel or even in Toronto where the 407 is pretty pricey but you feel like you'd need it. It's not the norm for that deal to be offered, though.
In Japan the daily toll pass with the car rental was much cheaper than the highway tolls. It ended up cutting my toll costs by about 40%. Plus the transponder it came with saved time going through the tolls.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 01:51 PM   #5379
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone fly premium with WestJet in the Dreamliner? Can you use your own headphones for the entertainment? Or do they provide?

I’ve only flown business where you have to use westjets headphones.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 02:29 PM   #5380
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone fly premium with WestJet in the Dreamliner? Can you use your own headphones for the entertainment? Or do they provide?

I’ve only flown business where you have to use westjets headphones.
We have, they provide headphones but it is a standard jack so you can plug in your own headphones.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: