Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2024, 08:50 AM   #5281
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've had both studded and non-studded winters, and IMO they're not worth it. The few days a year where the studs would actually make a difference aren't worth the extra road noise and poor handling on dry pavement the rest of the time. They might make more sense in Edmonton or Winnipeg where they don't get the thaw cycles that we do
I think the “poor handling on dry pavement” aspect is hugely overrated. They aren’t noticeably different than regular winters on dry pavement, when comparing the same tire to the non-studded version.

They’re noisy though. Big time. But once you get used to it, it’s hard to say the extra noise isn’t worth the advantages in the edge cases. If you exclusively drive in the city, I could see how they wouldn’t be quite as magical.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 09:03 AM   #5282
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had both on the same car, and I had the same experience as Hemi. Loud as hell, and just didn't seem to handle/brake as well on dry pavement. I can see the benefit in more extreme cases, but I stick to regular winters now.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:08 AM   #5283
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I've had both on the same car, and I had the same experience as Hemi. Loud as hell, and just didn't seem to handle/brake as well on dry pavement. I can see the benefit in more extreme cases, but I stick to regular winters now.
Same car, or same tires?
Old 01-19-2024, 09:12 AM   #5284
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yup. And always the same people who conveniently ignore the most important thing, stopping distance.
It's pretty alarming how many drivers still tailgate in slippery conditions. It's no wonder there are so many rear enders in this city. There's just no margin for error when you are right on someone's ass in bad weather. A few times this week I braced myself for a collision looking at my rearview mirror at the person behind me start to lose traction when trying to come to a stop because they were too close and had to stop harder than they would if they left more distance to prepare.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 09:13 AM   #5285
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Same car, or same tires?
Same car, with a few years on studded winter tires and a few years on regular winters.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:19 AM   #5286
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's pretty alarming how many drivers still tailgate in slippery conditions. It's no wonder there are so many rear enders in this city. There's just no margin for error when you are right on someone's ass in bad weather. A few times this week I braced myself for a collision looking at my rearview mirror at the person behind me start to lose traction when trying to come to a stop because they were too close and had to stop harder than they would if they left more distance to prepare.
Yup. The only things that make me nervous in poor conditions are the people behind me.

Actually, it’s funny when you think about the fact that there are people who follow too close to safely stop in bad conditions, and those are probably the same people who blow red lights 2-3 seconds late because they had zero confidence in their ability to stop for a yellow.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 09:26 AM   #5287
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Same car, with a few years on studded winter tires and a few years on regular winters.
I wonder if the tires themselves make a difference. I’m running the exact same model of tires that I previously ran unstudded, and I’m not picking up a noticeable difference in handling or braking. It is a year later (hard to compare exactly with that gap), and I know there are studies out there that remark on poorer handling/braking for studded tires on dry, so my subjective experience probably means nothing.

On top of that, I wouldn’t say I own or regularly drive anything that particularly “shines” in the handling department in the first place.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:52 AM   #5288
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I wonder if the tires themselves make a difference.
I'm sure they do. They studded tires were fancy-pants Nokian Hakkapeliittas thought (while the studless were a much cheaper brand) so one would assume the quality leaned towards the studs. But obviously it was not a lab-test worthy comparison or anything, just an anecdotal one on a Volvo.

On more extreme days, I'm sure the studs perform better... but considering we don't seem to get that much snow now till late Dec/January, and spring time is always full of slush, I'm not sure there are that many days in the "winter tire season" where I personally would prefer them over studless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 09:55 AM   #5289
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah, this is one of those times where I remind myself that I really need to install the backwards facing camera in my car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 10:19 AM   #5290
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I know it's not comparable at all, but swapping from studded tires to non-studded on the same bike, it's very noticeable how much more you lose traction in dry conditions on the studs. Especially on smooth concrete, like a garage/parkade.

It's even more noticeable how much they save your ass on ice. Retractable studs would be sweet.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:23 AM   #5291
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I know it's not comparable at all, but swapping from studded tires to non-studded on the same bike, it's very noticeable how much more you lose traction in dry conditions on the studs. Especially on smooth concrete, like a garage/parkade.

It's even more noticeable how much they save your ass on ice. Retractable studs would be sweet.
calm down, Wolverine.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 10:27 AM   #5292
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

I saw a cyclist on studded tires in a parking garage absolutely eat s### right into a pole. He was trying a stunt of some sort and it all just went wrong.

He may have been hurt and requiring assistance but I was far too busy dying of laughter.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:11 AM   #5293
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The performance of most modern winter tires match, or even exceed, the performance of their studded counterparts. Studs only excel on ice, which we honestly don't see much of.

That said, we run studs on our 2wd van because the added comfort on ice far outweighs the reduced traction in other scenarios.

Also, you guys just need to drive louder cars. I only notice the noise of the studs when I'm driving slow with the windows down or if I have the window down and drive beside a jersey barrier. If the windows are up it's nothing but wind noise and rattles. Hell, our studded winters are quieter than the hum from the all terrains in the summer.

Last edited by kevman; 01-19-2024 at 11:14 AM.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 12:08 PM   #5294
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Any recommendations /personal experiences with a driving school for new teenage drivers? Probably better if my kid learns from someone other than me, and I'll lose less hair.
I've used AMA and it seems good. I will advise you though, that they're insanely busy when it comes to booking the actual driving part of the course (as opposed to the in-class). Like we booked in September, presumably for the road test in November, and my son starts his driving Monday....
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:52 PM   #5295
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ran studs once, wouldn't again. 30 years ago maybe they made sense but these days a good studless tire is better in 90% of conditions

But it was sweet to do a burnout at night and see sparks fly
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 01:30 PM   #5296
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

if only there was a winter tire thread.........
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM   #5297
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
if only there was a winter tire thread.........
here ya go
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:11 AM   #5298
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I ran studs once, wouldn't again. 30 years ago maybe they made sense but these days a good studless tire is better in 90% of conditions

But it was sweet to do a burnout at night and see sparks fly
Yep, where your arbitrary 90% applies, I’d say it’s but 60% for me living in the mountains. Icey, snow packed roads are commonplace here. And while there is a noticeable lack of performance cornering on dry with studded, not too bothered when in the most dangerous of road conditions I have the best tire.

Only time I notice the grinding road noise, is at low speeds with window down. Otherwise it’s been virtually unnoticeable for me. I should record a cabin video, and then again when I put the summers on.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:13 AM   #5299
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually liked the noise. Like an angry swarm of bees in each wheel
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 12:25 PM   #5300
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp: