Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #5021
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
That shouldn't happen on a new chain and cassette.
Turns out I need a new crank set. The shop couldn't have pointed that out when they replaced the chain and cassette?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #5022
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Has anyone done any cycling in Cancun, Mexico? Recommendations? How are the roads?

I've visited a few times but stayed on the resort for the most part aside from bus tours.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #5023
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Has anyone done any cycling in Cancun, Mexico? Recommendations? How are the roads?

I've visited a few times but stayed on the resort for the most part aside from bus tours.

Cozumel would be a little better imo, Cancun too busy and the roads aren't very good if you are referring to road biking. Did pass this place along the way last summer : http://www.pvbikepark.com/ Not sure it would be very good as there isn't much to climb in the entire area. Mountain biking without the mountains I think Cuba has better road and Mountain Bike terrain and would be safer. Don't see anyone biking the highways in Mexico but see lots touring in Cuba.
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #5024
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
A few weeks back I had someone fly fishing under the train tracks by Ogden Road. They cast their line back over the path as I was riding towards them. Completely oblivious. That would have hurt if I hadn't slowed down.
Or you could've gone home with a new fly!!
The Following User Says Thank You to pope04 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #5025
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Careful out there folks: http://globalnews.ca/news/3528376/vi...ams-on-brakes/

Quote:
A Calgary cyclist said he was riding his bike in the city’s southwest when a car pulled up in front of him and slammed on the brakes.

Nigel Brockton has a camera mounted on the back of his bicycle, which captured him flying off of his bike and tumbling into the road—though not what caused the crash.

“You can see, as my bike is spinning upside down in the air, you can see how close he is to the parked cars as he pulls right in front of me.”

READ MORE: Cyclist injured in hit-and-run collision: Calgary police

He said it happened just after 5:40 p.m. on June 8 at 26 Avenue and 21 Street S.W.

“I’ve broken my collarbone in five or six pieces; I had plates put in on Monday,” Brockton said.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #5026
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That sucks. Enough has been said about Calgary drivers, but I certainly notice how dreadful they are while on my bike. It is stories like this that make me rethink riding on the roads just to save a bit of time.

On a positive note, I hit a PR on the Shag Ripper.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #5027
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread

I'm debating a camera for my bike just in case. I've been pretty lucky so far and only had a couple jerk drivers. Some that come close that probably think they're being jerks too.

Last edited by KTrain; 06-15-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #5028
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought the car had a sufficient gap to pass him around the parked car from the video. Also why would you video tape behind you if no also in front as you would never get license plate that way.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #5029
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

crappy for the rider as his season is now ruined......I wonder if the driver stayed around, or bolted and I wonder what his side of the story is.

my favourite jerk got in front of my one day on mackenize towne blvd as I was riding home - he goes by me a little too closely, then moves tot eh right to block me from passing, because traffic was backed up, I had to stop. I asked him what he was doing and I got a stay off the road - and we then exchanged words until he turned off. surprisingly, this guy was in a jacked up pickup truck. also had a car load of teens toss a slurpeee at me.

I notice MEC sells so type of radar unit to warn you of stuff approaching from behind, but I guess iif I had a camera, I'd mount it on the front
Old 06-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #5030
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The article says the driver bolted.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #5031
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know the rider. The driver did this deliberately, and he took off.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #5032
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing stuff like that makes me thankful that barely any of my commute is on the open road, and in the morning I'm early enough that there is very little traffic.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #5033
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally rode in to work today. First time this year :/

Felt good. I'm slow, and a bit wary of the road sections of my ride. Took me about 40 mins to travel just over 12km, due to numerous traffic stops and my generally slow pace.

My route takes me from around Macleod/Southland to the Elbow pathway, then into the downtown core. I could also take the Bow River pathway (would be about 20km in distance though) and would avoid quite a bit of the road portion. I'm almost thinking it might be worth it, at least maybe when my legs are better and I can keep a better pace. I don't really want to take much longer than 45 mins to commute, if possible.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon96Taco For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #5034
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
I know the rider. The driver did this deliberately, and he took off.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
It's impressive how knowing the rider has given you insight into whether the driver did it deliberately or not.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #5035
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post

Felt good. I'm slow, and a bit wary of the road sections of my ride. Took me about 40 mins to travel just over 12km, due to numerous traffic stops and my generally slow pace.

My route takes me from around Macleod/Southland to the Elbow pathway, then into the downtown core. I could also take the Bow River pathway (would be about 20km in distance though) and would avoid quite a bit of the road portion. I'm almost thinking it might be worth it, at least maybe when my legs are better and I can keep a better pace. I don't really want to take much longer than 45 mins to commute, if possible.

The road path through there is pretty good.

5th ave / Hardon Rd are relatively stop free and low traffic especially if you Idaho the 4 way stops. They even installed convenient buttons to push for the cross walk at 5th and 50th ave.

The only bad part is 5the ave from elbow to 17th where they really need to finish the bike lanes.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #5036
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
It's impressive how knowing the rider has given you insight into whether the driver did it deliberately or not.
Maybe the rider in question told him it was intentional?
While there's obviously no way of knowing for sure if the driver did it intentionally, I would say the victim would have a pretty good idea based on the circumstances.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #5037
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The road path through there is pretty good.

5th ave / Hardon Rd are relatively stop free and low traffic especially if you Idaho the 4 way stops. They even installed convenient buttons to push for the cross walk at 5th and 50th ave.

The only bad part is 5the ave from elbow to 17th where they really need to finish the bike lanes.
I generally ride up Bonaventure Drive from 94 Ave to Heritage. At Heritage I cross Macleod Trail, and get onto 5th. You're right, once I'm on 5th it's quite decent (even though it's on road, it's an established bike route).

It's the part from house to Bonaventure, Heritage, and crossing Macleod that I don't love.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #5038
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Wow.

As the story states, and as I heard directly from the person who broke both their collar bone and arm as a result of this, YES based on what I was told, it sounds like the Driver did it deliberately.

While I can't confirm this as I don't know the Driver, it sure sounds like pulling into a bike lane, and slamming on your brakes with no one in front of you is a deliberate action on the part of the driver. Or maybe they are just really really bad at driving?

Oh, and multiple witnesses backed up his account of how it went down, does that help?
The Following User Says Thank You to Khel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #5039
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post

If you want to avoid roads, you could take Heritage, or the path on the North side of Glenmore, up to the Reservoir pathway and access the Elbow River pathway from there. Depending on where you're heading to downtown, cutting through Mount Royal can be a pretty quick and bike-friendly option.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #5040
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whether the driver did it deliberately or not, by driving away they made it clear they're a despicable human being.
Closed Thread