Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #481
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
That's just it. This is being described as a "whole life" device. There are so many practical, every day uses for this thing. People need to let go of this "why didn't they just make another netbook" fixation and start thinking outside the box.
I'm with you on not trying to put this into the "better netbook hole". But you can't call this thing a "whole life" device. The traditional computing interface is just too big a part of our daily lives now and as you say, this thing is not a computer.

It's really neat. And it is going to be the best way to surf the net and watch/listen to digital media on the move, but its not going to be a "whole life" device anymore than an iPod Touch with 3G would be. Its just bigger.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #482
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an avid console/handheld gamer, I'm positive in saying that the touch screen only form factor will never make a dent in the gaming market. Gamers need buttons with physical feed back. Not clicking sounds...buttons with edges your fingers can feel and with physical pressing in that your fingers can feel. It's that physical feedback that completes the "control loop" from your brain to your fingers.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #483
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Maybe it is, and maybe I'm a dinosaur, but without it, I would have no use for such a device. I can touch type on a keyboard, you can't touch type on a flat surface.

I find trying to type on an iPhone to be quite annoying, and although the "keys" will be larger on the iPad, I don't see the experience being that much better.
Do you actually own an iPhone though? Most people find typing on an iPhone to be annoying for the first few days, but then they get used to it and after a while, it becomes second-nature.

A buddy of mine swore up and down that he would never get an iPhone, because whenever he'd use mine to look something up, it would take him forever to type on it. Eventually, though, he got more and more used to it and now him and his wife both have one.

Typing on the iPad will be a lot easier than most non-iPhone people realize.

Edit: I'd love a handwriting app too. I can see a few uses for it, but I wouldn't really consider it a show-stopper. Also, this thing isn't even launched yet. The SDK was only released a couple days ago. There are going to be a ton of apps built specifically with the iPad in mind between now and launch day. I'm pretty positive that some of them will even involve some form of handwriting recognition.

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-29-2010 at 10:32 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #484
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
As an avid console/handheld gamer, I'm positive in saying that the touch screen only form factor will never make a dent in the gaming market. Gamers need buttons with physical feed back. Not clicking sounds...buttons with edges your fingers can feel and with physical pressing in that your fingers can feel. It's that physical feedback that completes the "control loop" from your brain to your fingers.
I felt like that, the first few games I tried on my phone. I got used to it, though, and I have quite a few games I play on it now. Even a few FPS games, like Call of Duty, etc. They're actually pretty fun.

For the most part, the only thing that bugs me about iPhone games (and all handheld games) is the small screen. If only there was something coming out soon that changed that...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #485
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's just it. This is being described as a "whole life" device. There are so many practical, every day uses for this thing. People need to let go of this "why didn't they just make another netbook" fixation and start thinking outside the box.
Yeah, it's little things like how much easier things would be if, rather than needing to print out recipes or set my laptop on the kitchen counter where there's a danger of spills, I could just hang this on the fridge (I assume such an accessory will come out) and read a recipe off it, check my email or watc a video while I'm waiting for something to boil, and then when I'm done cooking but not done watching the video, just pick it up and carry it with me to the next room.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #486
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
How does it do either? I'm not into eBooks, but isn't the whole point of Kindle e-ink? As for the netbook, isn't the whole point of netbooks to have a full OS and a keyboard?

If I had one of these it wouldn't be in my pocket, which means it wouldn't be with me unless I'm carrying a backpack or at home. If I'm at home I've got my desktop and if I'm carrying a backpack I might as well be carrying a netbook.

Just don't see the point of it, but then again I don't see the point of the AppleTV either and it does fine.
Is the purpose of a netbook to have a full OS and a keyboard? I would argue that the purpose (for most people) is to get email, internet access, and document creation in a very portable way. Some will hate the virtual keyboard, some will love it. At the end of the day it won't matter because you can just get a bluetooth keyboard. Have you seen the apple wireless keyboards? They are tiny and ultra portable ... if you really want a physical keyboard it won't be hard to bring one with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
You're going to stand on the train with a 500 dollar unit in one hand?
I did read Atlas Shrugged, in paperback it's not that big of a hassle. I mean if you're fumbling around with that book in paper format perhaps an expensive unit in one hand isn't the best idea.

Books aren't ever going to go digital widespread. The majority of readers want no part in digital, and authors hate it - they're already signing clauses in publishing contracts that their books cannot be sold that way. They don't make enough money to become victims of piracy.
Disclaimer: I meant to post this 2 days ago, but obviously left it open in my browser. A little outdated but I'll post it anyway.

I have to disagree as well. It's funny you used Atlas Shrugged as an example. I read it and my #1 complaint was finding a comfortable position to lay in bed or sit in a chair while holding it. I wouldn't stand and read a physical book nor would i stand and use an e-reader. I'm lucky enough to always have a seat on the train due to the stations I use.

Many people think that books will never go digital, but don't forget how many people said that about cd's. Even I recall back in 2000 saying that there is just "something" about having a physical CD in my hands. I couldn't explain it, but the thought of having a digital music library bothered me. Now if I can't get an album digitally I most likely won't even try to attain it. Of course some authors hate it ... there are musicians who hate digital distribution too. I would guess that one day both groups will find themselves left behind.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #487
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I felt like that, the first few games I tried on my phone. I got used to it, though, and I have quite a few games I play on it now. Even a few FPS games, like Call of Duty, etc. They're actually pretty fun.

For the most part, the only thing that bugs me about iPhone games (and all handheld games) is the small screen. If only there was something coming out soon that changed that...
They're "pretty fun" but they're certainly not rock solid games. I've purchased Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, NBA Live and other "bigger" games for my iPod Touch. Sure they're fun, but the touch screen "joystick" just doesn't do it. Gamers need buttons. There's no 2 ways about it. That pretty much kills off the entire market of people who will happily pay $20+ for a game. Games where a mouse is the primary control device transfer to touch screen ok, but nothing that relies even moderately on buttons will.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #488
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Yeah, it's little things like how much easier things would be if, rather than needing to print out recipes or set my laptop on the kitchen counter where there's a danger of spills, I could just hang this on the fridge (I assume such an accessory will come out) and read a recipe off it, check my email or watc a video while I'm waiting for something to boil, and then when I'm done cooking but not done watching the video, just pick it up and carry it with me to the next room.
Yeah, that's a great one I hadn't even thought of yet. This is going to be awesome for cooking. Slap an InvisibleShield on it (from Zagg) to keep it protected and make it easier to clean, and then just prop it up in the kitchen beside the stove.

Instant access to recipe and ingredient apps, as well as the web for searching... and even watch videos right on the thing. Sure, I could do that with a little Acer netbook, but it will take up a hell of a lot more room, and typing on a little netbook keyboard while trying to cook would be ridiculous. Not to mention having to mess around with the trackpad on it in order to interact in any way.

Man, I'm going to start ripping some of my Gordon Ramsay DVDs to get them ready for this thing. Hell, I might even start downloading cooking shows again...

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-29-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #489
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you get a bar code reader for the iPhone/Touch/iPad? That would be a great attachment if you plan to use your device in the kitchen.

edit: Like this? http://lifehacker.com/5451243/build-...tchen-computer

edit2: Yikes. That guy spent $1800NZ on that computer. An iPad with a bar code scanner would do a better job much more cheaply.

Last edited by fredr123; 01-29-2010 at 11:37 AM.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #490
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Motherf***ing god damn Apple! Arguing against this damn thing for 9 pages now has me wanting one just because.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #491
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Can you get a bar code reader for the iPhone/Touch/iPad? That would be a great attachment if you plan to use your device in the kitchen.

edit: Like this? http://lifehacker.com/5451243/build-...tchen-computer
If there was a camera on the damn thing, it would be easy for them to do; there's already apps for the iphone that allow you to scan barcodes with it. The lack of camera is the thing that I think they missed on. I can allow that there are software issues like no multitasking, because I expect those to be features in upcoming OS releases. But a missing hardware feature like a camera is something that will bite them.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #492
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah the no camera thing is messed up for sure.

http://redlaser.com
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #493
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
When I picture people using these things, it isn't someone sitting on his couch watching a movie on a 10" screen, or IMing, or sending emails, or posting on a message board using an onscreen keyboard. What I see is a doctor doing rounds in a hospital, with an iPad in one hand and a stylus in the other, pulling up patient information from the hospital's database and writing their notes onto the screen to save for later. I see a student reading a text book on one side of the screen, while scribbling notes on the other.
But what is going to sell more units? Marketing it to small niches like post secondary students and doctors or the huge market of people who check email, lightly browse the web, play crappy games, etc. Apple is after the larger market with this device, not specialized markets. It maybe true that this device will be great for students and doctors, but like the iPhone, the majority of the people that are going to buy it are buying it for their personal use and Apple is going push their products in that direction.

I think that some of the people in this thread that are comparing this to their netbooks and talking about all their obscure programs, that the vast majority of the population doesn't even know exist, and how they can't use them on it, are a specialized market. Like the picture that someone posted above of the Macbook Air cut in half. An Apple product like that is going to cost over a $1000. But why would anyone buy half a laptop for the same price of a laptop. This product needs to have a lower price point and it can't have everything.

I agree that it is missing things. I think the absence of flash is silly. Flash is not dead when so many websites are using it. Sure it maybe dieing and if the iPad gains success it maybe the final push Flash needs to fall off the internets, but Flash is still part of the internet today. And of course multi-tasking is a feature that would help sell it. But both of these things can be added after. Things like a camera, usb connection, and memory card slot can't.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #494
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm with the guy that said this thing NEEDS a handwriting app.

Yeah, yeah, typing with the iPhone is an acquired skill. I'm getting pretty good at it now. Very few spelling mistakes. *BUT* I'll bet $100 that I can type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" faster on my full keyboard OR write it freehand faster than you can type it into the iPhone. No matter how good you get, it will not match freehand writing.

Of course freehand writing would require a stylus and Apple have avoided using a stylus thus far, I can't see them starting now.

I can unequivocally say that I will not be buying one unless I can take it to my meetings and quickly take notes. I don't want to be in the situation of asking people to stop discussing a topic so that I can finish typing up what I need from the last topic.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #495
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't get the need for a camera. An electronic pad should replace a regular pad. As a system designer, I need a pad far more than I need a camera.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #496
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I spilla spaghetti sauce ona my iPad.

We need companies to take a stand against Flash and not support it. It's buggy, power and resource intensive and responsible for most browser crashes.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #497
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say to flashing! I mean wait, what?
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #498
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I spilla spaghetti sauce ona my iPad.

We need companies to take a stand against Flash and not support it. It's buggy, power and resource intensive and responsible for most browser crashes.
False. Another Adobe product is responsible for the most. I'll let you guess which one.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #499
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

While we're killing Flash, can we kill off JavaScript too? I hate middle-clicking links to open in a new tab and having it not work.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #500
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I was just thinking about this on the bus ride home. How incredible is this going to be for watching movies while on road trips. Bigger screen then portable dvd players. Way better battery life. And it can just sit in your lap instead of fighting for a good place to put the dvd player.
The anti-Apple people are going to get on me for this incredibly ######y comment, but many people are looking at the specs and ripping this device on that alone. If I look at it as just a web browser/ereader/media player/document editor I can kinda see the argument. It's more than enough for me, but I can absolutely see why some of you are passing because it can't do x,y or z. My point is that many people aren't looking into what this device could be with some creativity.

A friend of mine was trying to sell me on his blackberry and why I should get one. I'll preface this by saying I don't hate BB, it's just not my thing. My immediate response was "I need it to tune my guitar, control a mixer for logic, control my apple tv, control my stereo upstairs, downstairs and in my room. I also need it to send me live updates of hockey scores, send me a live update when my torrent finishes downloading, keep my golf score, be my golf rangefinder, stitch images, log my wife's nursing, tell me when I'm about to upgrade to the M16 in Modern Warfare 2 and not only tell me what piano chords work together, but I need it to compose and save a chord progression for later playback".

That's the thing with the app store. It takes a phone that has decent capabilities and makes it a device that I'd be crazy to leave the house without. The iPad could have the same sort of appeal.

Back to what fundmark mentions about road trips: sure you can use a laptop for that, but with little effort you could rig something up to hold it over the back of a headrest for an instant dvd player for the kids. It's small enough that it would easily display on any number of surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Motherf***ing god damn Apple! Arguing against this damn thing for 9 pages now has me wanting one just because.
Perhaps it's just me entering the final stages of my jedi apple fanboy training, but I wasn't as interested in this product until people started ripping on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post

Yeah, yeah, typing with the iPhone is an acquired skill. I'm getting pretty good at it now. Very few spelling mistakes. *BUT* I'll bet $100 that I can type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" faster on my full keyboard OR write it freehand faster than you can type it into the iPhone. No matter how good you get, it will not match freehand writing.
Of course this is just me, but I can free hand that phrase in 13 seconds and I can type it out on my iphone in 7. I use the iphone to type a lot, and i've gotten to the point where I hardly look at the keys to type. Granted I can type it on a keyboard in 5, but for me freehand is far slower.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: