Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #481
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Glencross' PTOs were with Toronto and Colorado
Old 01-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #482
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yeah he went to Toronto then Colorado and played a game vs Calgary here in the preseason.

Got a nice little mention during the game and reaction from the crowd.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #483
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I really want Wideman to sign with another team next year so we can get more data on how his presence on the roster affects penalties called.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #484
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Totally forgot about that. Stupid Hockeys future site has him listed still as their LW Prospect still.

Dont really think anyone else could fit the bill... Sonny Milano is a C and their best prospect C at that, Bittner is still pretty green and too soon to tell what youre gonna get and LW to boot.

Heatherington would be a nice piece too but not for Bennett.

So.. Nevermind.. Bennett doesnt get traded to CBJ.
Hockey Future is more or less shut down. The old stuff is still there but they aren't adding new stuff or doing updates as far as I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #485
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducks and Nashville made yet another one of those minor leaguer trades. Seems like that's all we're gonna see until the deadline.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #486
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

With games in hand, all of Vancouver, LA, and Nashville can easily leap frog Calgary, resulting in the Flames sitting 2 spots out of a WC spot.

The Flames simply can't afford to buy and chances are they're in a position to sell. Take one more off-season and look at expansion victims to retool the roster and come back with another coach next year.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #487
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Elliot saying that Claude Julian might be available this summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #488
Toonage

Exp:

I would genuinely love a proven veteran NHL coach with recent playoff/cup success behind the bench. Still crusty they allegedly didn't go after Boudreau and to me Julien is a step up from that. If he becomes available, I'd be thrilled.

That being said, they're sticking with Gulutzan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #489
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I would genuinely love a proven veteran NHL coach with recent playoff/cup success behind the bench. Still crusty they allegedly didn't go after Boudreau and to me Julien is a step up from that. If he becomes available, I'd be thrilled.

That being said, they're sticking with Gulutzan.
I was mad they didn't go after Boudreau at first but i think Gulutzan has done a great job. Flames started out very slow , but i don't blame Gulutzan, i blame bad hockey pond habits from Hartley system. I don't think Boudreau could have done any better at the start of the season. Flames 1-6 D men are nowhere as good as the Wild 1-6 D.Wild starting goalie is far better than either goalie Calgary has. Also the Wild were coming off a system that had already had them playing good defensive game.

As for Julien, i guess the flames would have to think about it. Still think Gulutzan, in his 2nd year, will be a very good coach. IMO you stick with Gulutzan, unless for some reason he loses the room.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #490
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of Boudreau supporters coming out of the woodwork. IIRC at the time more people here were tearing their hair because they were convinced Bourdeau was coming here and they didn't like it - too old school, etc.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #491
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I was mad they didn't go after Boudreau at first but i think Gulutzan has done a great job. Flames started out very slow , but i don't blame Gulutzan, i blame bad hockey pond habits from Hartley system. I don't think Boudreau could have done any better at the start of the season. Flames 1-6 D men are nowhere as good as the Wild 1-6 D.Wild starting goalie is far better than either goalie Calgary has. Also the Wild were coming off a system that had already had them playing good defensive game.

As for Julien, i guess the flames would have to think about it. Still think Gulutzan, in his 2nd year, will be a very good coach. IMO you stick with Gulutzan, unless for some reason he loses the room.
Very good points re: the team play.

I don't hate Gulutzan either, though I was decidedly less than thrilled with him and the staff at the start of the year. We all were to some extent I think. I agree that they will stick with him, and I think they should too. He's a younger coach who relates better to a younger team. But if they went another direction and hired a guy like Julien if he were to become available, I'd still be pretty happy. Guess I would just prefer, if given the choice, a successful veteran coach to guide a young team rather than one who would grow with the team.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #492
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It comes down to does ownership and management think Gulutzan can take them to the next level. Or they let him go and bring in a a guy that has 500 plus wins.

If the flames make the playoffs I see Gulutzan staying but if they miss I see management taking that extra look at whats out there.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #493
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Boudreau made a lot more sense for the Wild than he did for the Flames. The Wild were a playoff team looking to get over the hump in a tough division. Boudreau has a decent pedigree of making the playoffs and running a good, veteran team.

On the flipside, the Wild would have made much more sense to Boudreau. Playoff team, excellent starting goalie. He was never coming here.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #494
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would like Julien here. I tried giving GG time to come around as a coach but I'm not convinced he is a good coach and knows how to get his guys going. He doesn't use them to their strengths. One example is playing Brodie on the left side when he is better on the right. Splitting up one of the top D pairings in the league last year because of his ideological beliefs was stupid and his refusal to admit he was wrong is a big red flag.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #495
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I would like Julien here. I tried giving GG time to come around as a coach but I'm not convinced he is a good coach and knows how to get his guys going. He doesn't use them to their strengths. One example is playing Brodie on the left side when he is better on the right. Splitting up one of the top D pairings in the league last year because of his ideological beliefs was stupid and his refusal to admit he was wrong is a big red flag.
I'm still concerned that Brodie is only Elite when playing the right side with Gio and even then, especially this year, early on, he wasn't elite in that spot when given the chance.

That could be due to knowing he wasn't going to continue playing there or personal reasons.

But no one can argue that certain players strengths have been somewhat restricted by GG's system.

Funny thing is, back in The day when we didn't have such young and dynamic individual players who need more leash to do their thing, the Flames system was built for it somewhat, now we have them and have a strict "team game" type system. The ironing.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #496
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I'm still concerned that Brodie is only Elite when playing the right side with Gio and even then, especially this year, early on, he wasn't elite in that spot when given the chance.

That could be due to knowing he wasn't going to continue playing there or personal reasons.

But no one can argue that certain players strengths have been somewhat restricted by GG's system.

Funny thing is, back in The day when we didn't have such young and dynamic individual players who need more leash to do their thing, the Flames system was built for it somewhat, now we have them and have a strict "team game" type system. The ironing.
Brodie was a stud playing the left side with Engellend after Gio went down in 2015. I personally think GG should consider moving Engellend up with Brodie and Wideman to the third pair with Kevin
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #497
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie was never elite, just a really good up and coming defenceman. He still had defensive issues sometimes.

IMO his issue has been skating and decision making this year. he looked slower until recently, and his pinching has been off. Playing left side should actually make it easier to pinch, BTW. And his bad pinch yesterday was on the right side IIRC.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #498
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Playing left side should actually make it easier to pinch, BTW. And his bad pinch yesterday was on the right side IIRC.
Please tell us more about what is easier for a hockey player. No two hockey players are the same.

You can't just say "playing left side is easier to pinch" and use it as a blanket statement. Some prefer the left side, some prefer the right side.

And his pinch wasn't on the right side, it was on the left side.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #499
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Brodie was a stud playing the left side with Engellend after Gio went down in 2015. I personally think GG should consider moving Engellend up with Brodie and Wideman to the third pair with Kevin
That makes our third pairing pretty weak.
I assume GG wants to pair a reliable guy with a less reliable guy for the 2nd and 3rd pairings, so no pairing is a glaring weakness (ie Wideman and Kevin).
Old 01-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #500
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Boudreau made a lot more sense for the Wild than he did for the Flames. The Wild were a playoff team looking to get over the hump in a tough division. Boudreau has a decent pedigree of making the playoffs and running a good, veteran team.

On the flipside, the Wild would have made much more sense to Boudreau. Playoff team, excellent starting goalie. He was never coming here.
We will never know because the Flames didn't kick the tires. The Wild are a team with a tight window of winning in the playoffs or the season is failure whereas the Flames were in a better position knowing that he would only have to make the playoffs initially for the season to be successful and could have a hand in building a contender rather than have to turn around the fates of team that is in a win now mode.

All I can say is you had the Ducks, Flames, Wild, Senators as teams that were all hiring new coaches prior to the draft. The Wild are winning their division as expected when you hire a guy that does nothing but win. Ottawa has overachieved and find themselves 2nd in their division. Ducks are winning the Pacific with a coach that was supposed to be a possession black hole exactly 10 points ahead of the Flames. Are the Flames clearly the worst team of this group or did their GM hire the worst guy? We will probably have a better idea this time next season but the Treliving's hiring isn't looking as good as the other hires right now.
Closed Thread