Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #481
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gonna bump this, Tkachuk at 18 pts in 15 games to start the year playing on a shut down line. He’s still only 20 years old. The studliest of studs
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #482
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hes going to be so expensive. So worth it though.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #483
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thank you Vancouver.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #484
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to give a lot of credit to Jarmo Kekäläinen for passing on Puljujarvi for Dubois. Puljujarvi was the consensus #3 after Matthews and Laine. This threw off the entire draft and gave the Oilers no choice but to draft Puljujarvi! There’s a good chance they would’ve taken Juolevi and the Canucks would’ve been choosing between Tkachuk and Dubois.

But now, our 2 rivals got the 2 worst players in the top 6. I actually think Tkachuk is closer to the Laine / Matthews level than most think.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #485
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I have to give a lot of credit to Jarmo Kekäläinen for passing on Puljujarvi for Dubois. Puljujarvi was the consensus #3 after Matthews and Laine. This threw off the entire draft and gave the Oilers no choice but to draft Puljujarvi! There’s a good chance they would’ve taken Juolevi and the Canucks would’ve been choosing between Tkachuk and Dubois.

But now, our 2 rivals got the 2 worst players in the top 6. I actually think Tkachuk is closer to the Laine / Matthews level than most think.
I think Brian Burke was talking about how Calgary was looking to trade into 3rd for Puljujarvi on the TV the other night.

Edmonton was apparently thinking of trading out for Sergachev before Jesse fell.

Vancouver might have ended up with Juolevi regardless.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #486
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I think Brian Burke was talking about how Calgary was looking to trade into 3rd for Puljujarvi on the TV the other night.

Edmonton was apparently thinking of trading out for Sergachev before Jesse fell.

The best trade that never took place was Calgary moving up to 3 to take JP. The general consensus around here was that he was exactly what the team needed as the top line RW and we were all hoping the Flames could somehow move up and take him. However it was unlikely to happen, so the next best thing was getting someone like Tkachuk or Nylander.

Boy oh boy am I glad Tkachuk get selected.

Can't say enough about the kid. He's grown up with his father as a pro his entire life. So since he was a kid he's been around locker rooms, coaches, nhl players, media, management. He couldn't have had a better mentor this his old man. Shout out to both his parents for making sure he's got his head on straight.

His style of play is exactly what the team needs. Fiesty, skilled, and will go to war every night for his team. Future captain material.

Still can't believe he's been a part of one of the best lines in hockey for over 2 seasons now, and is still on his ELC. Impressive.

He's gonna get paid, but it's gonna be worth every penny.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #487
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #488
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure about that. Burke previously said:

Quote:
Once Columbus announced they were taking Dubois, they knew they were getting Tkachuk because they knew Vancouver was taking Juolevi
you could see guys at our draft table doing fist bumps
Which is supported by what Friedman has said:
Quote:
Friedman mentioned a couple of months ago on 960 that he believed all that Columbus-Edmonton-Calgary trade talk just before the draft started was so Calgary could move up and get Tkachuk. He implied that the trade fell apart when Blue Jackets revealed they were going to take Dubois and Treliving realized they were getting Tkachuk anyways.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=2636

Sounds like the Flames wanted Tkachuk badly, and were trying to trade up to take him before Columbus tipped their hand and we knew how Edmonton and Vancouver would pick as a result.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #489
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Too bad Treliving didn’t sign Matty in the summer. A 47 and 48 point season probably wouldn’t have commanded as much as a ppg season in his contract year. Even if Tkachuk slows down and hits 60 or 70 we’re still looking at high 7s or 8s if his agent really pushes hard.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #490
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Too bad Treliving didn’t sign Matty in the summer. A 47 and 48 point season probably wouldn’t have commanded as much as a ppg season in his contract year. Even if Tkachuk slows down and hits 60 or 70 we’re still looking at high 7s or 8s if his agent really pushes hard.
Why would Tkachuk and his agent bet against Matthew having a good year though and sign last summer? They both knew he was probably going to have a great season and could be looking at a much better long term contract as a result.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #491
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matthew this summer:

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #492
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Why would Tkachuk and his agent bet against Matthew having a good year though and sign last summer? They both knew he was probably going to have a great season and could be looking at a much better long term contract as a result.
I don’t think his agent was betting against him, I read an article that Treliving was in talks with the agent but that he mentioned there was a certain timeline to follow or in other words he was going to be patient with the process. In my opinion, I think Treliving should’ve been extremely agressive in getting a deal done even if it meant giving more concessions to the agent’s side because now, if Tkachuk doesn’t drop off in his production, his leverage on Treliving will be through the roof relative to last summer.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #493
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk and his agent didn't want to sign, they wanted to wait.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #494
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm fine with Tkachuk getting an 8x8 in the summer. Thats great value for a 70-80 point two way beast. Once he has multiple cups and conn smyth's the price will go up.
Kipper_3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #495
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Not sure about that. Burke previously said:

Which is supported by what Friedman has said:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=2636

Sounds like the Flames wanted Tkachuk badly, and were trying to trade up to take him before Columbus tipped their hand and we knew how Edmonton and Vancouver would pick as a result.
https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...hl-entry-draft

Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen also had multiple chats with Treliving, trying to move down and aiming to get Dubois somehow.

“They tried to do some shuffling for going out of sequence,” said Brian Burke, the Flames’ president of hockey operations. “They tried to get something for it. So there was a lot of scrambling before the draft and a lot of talk up front. But I’m not surprised. He’s a good player.”

Well here Burke says the Blue Jackets were trying to trade down, rather than the Flames up.

Its hard to say. I've read about 5 different versions of how the events may have happened now.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #496
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen also had multiple chats with Treliving, trying to move down and aiming to get Dubois somehow.

“They tried to do some shuffling for going out of sequence,” said Brian Burke, the Flames’ president of hockey operations. “They tried to get something for it. So there was a lot of scrambling before the draft and a lot of talk up front. But I’m not surprised. He’s a good player.”

Well here Burke says the Blue Jackets were trying to trade down, rather than the Flames up.

Its hard to say. I've read about 5 different versions of how the events may have happened now.
Based on the outcome I think the most probable conclusion to draw is that no one really wanted Puljujarvi. Well, no one except the Oilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #497
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Based on the outcome I think the most probable conclusion to draw is that no one really wanted Puljujarvi. Well, no one except the Oilers.
OK Chief.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #498
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
OMG, I've watched the video so many times, but just this time noticed the greatest part - The orca mascot is clearly ready to turn around and wave the flag to a jubilant crowd with the pick announcement.

He just starts to turn when he hears the shock and horror of a jilted crowd behind him and then he just panics and never turns around.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-04-2018 at 02:52 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #499
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There were some pretty crazy rumors Ari d that draft. The Flames were moments away from dealing for Ben Bishop. I remember reading rumors it was Backlund+6 for Bishop+Drouin then there was the rumor that the Oilers might get Dougie for their 4th overall pick. Only Treliving and a few in the organization really know what was on the table
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #500
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Somewhere between last January and the start of this season he crossed the threshold between top six player and Star.

Him and Giordano are embarrassingly underrated. Maybe if the media stopped milking the teets of Matthews and Mcdavid 24/7 these guys would get the recognition they deserve. The networks could easily compile 5 minutes of 'elite player' highlights from the start of this season.

But I think we know it'll take Giordano prying the Norris from the usual suspects and Tkachuk finishing with 80 points for these guys to even start to get those conversations rolling.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote