Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #461
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I guess it depends how much story they want of Ayra in season 4, but there is definitely enough going forward that they could dip into future books.

If all that happens in Season 4 for Ayra is this:

Quote:
Arya and Sandor Clegane run afoul of some freeriders in the service of Sandor's hated huge brother, Gregor, in an inn. There is a fight and the freeriders are killed, but Sandor is wounded. Arya leaves him dying under a tree and goes to the nearby port town of Saltpans, on the Trident. She finds a ship from the Free City of Braavos there, but they refuse to take her north. She pulls out the coin Jaqen H'ghar gave her and the ship crew suddenly become more cooperative. They won't take her north, but do agree to take her over back to Braavos beyond the Narrow Sea with them. She agrees.
That would make for a pretty boring story line... how many episodes can they draw that out? I guess you could probably get 3 to 4 out of that.. and that might be good enough. I am really hoping they up the episode count next season though.

Hah.. I never knew this...

Quote:
George RR Martin lost the 2001 Hugo Award for Best Novel to JK Rowling. Afterwards he made this comment about his fans: "Eat your heart out, Rowling. Maybe you have billions of dollars and my Hugo, but you don't have readers like these."[1]

Last edited by GreenLantern; 04-30-2013 at 10:39 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #462
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
After consulting the internet, it looks like the red wedding is chapter 51 and Joffreys wedding is chapter 60. I bet this season will end with the red wedding, with the hound swinging his axe at Arya, leaving us all to think she is dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump View Post
"Rains of Castamere" is actually episode 9. Episode 10 will probably be more of a set-up episode for season 4. I suspect the season will end with the reveal that Catelyn has been resurrected.
yep my guess as well, I think the last shot of the season will be Lady Stoneheart sitting up after being resurrected
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #463
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3200498.html
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #464
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, he is totally planning on releasing crap like this instead of giving us the next books in the series and will then choke on some lemon cakes and die.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #465
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends how the book is created.

If he hires someone to go through and pull out all Tyrion's quips, give him a list then he just runs through them saying, yes, yes, no, no, no yes, no, etc. then it may not be much additional burden.

I would think being tied to a story like GoT can be a curse; he can't do anything else without people bashing him for not writing and, from what I understand, the writing process isn't something that you can force.

But I still want him to get a good set of editors to prevent any further expansion.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #466
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
It depends how the book is created.

If he hires someone to go through and pull out all Tyrion's quips, give him a list then he just runs through them saying, yes, yes, no, no, no yes, no, etc. then it may not be much additional burden.

I would think being tied to a story like GoT can be a curse; he can't do anything else without people bashing him for not writing and, from what I understand, the writing process isn't something that you can force.

But I still want him to get a good set of editors to prevent any further expansion.
It pisses me off that this series is still ongoing but then I remember that he obviously really enjoys all these side projects and its his life, so who am I to criticize?

But it still sucks.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #467
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to have a rule to never start a series until it was complete.

The first time I broke that rules was by accident - I was half way through the 3rd book before I found myself thinking, "Geez, Robert Jordan is really going to need to speed up his writing style if he is going to wrap up all these loose ends in the next few hundred pages..." That was summer 1992 - little did I know it would take 2 more decades.

And I can't recall what prompted me to read this series while knowing it wasn't finished.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #468
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The first time I broke that rules was by accident - I was half way through the 3rd book before I found myself thinking, "Geez, Robert Jordan is really going to need to speed up his writing style if he is going to wrap up all these loose ends in the next few hundred pages..." That was summer 1992 - little did I know it would take 2 more decades.

And I can't recall what prompted me to read this series while knowing it wasn't finished.
I'm in the same boat.

My brother in law was giving away a box of books and he told me to pick through first. I saw Game of Thrones and grabbed it, but if it had said "Book One" or something on the cover, I never would have because he obviously didn't have the rest.

I got to the ending and then found out not only were there more, but there were more that aren't even written yet.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #469
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

the TV series hooked me into the books. after season 2 i didn't want to wait to find out what happened next, so i bought the books. by the time the next one is finally released i'm going to have to re-read book 5 just to remember what happened
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #470
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This series and Wheel of Time are the ones that resulted in me having a similar rule now.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #471
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
the TV series hooked me into the books. after season 2 i didn't want to wait to find out what happened next, so i bought the books. by the time the next one is finally released i'm going to have to re-read book 5 just to remember what happened
You'll have time to re-read all five several times by then. Or you can just recall that nothing happens in ADWD.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #472
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well after last episode being such a direct translation from the book, tonight was almost the opposite. Ygritte confronting Jon about his true loyalty, Mellisandre taking Gendry from the Brotherhood, she and Arya setting up a future confrontation. Now I'm really not looking forward to how Ygritte's story turns out, kinda hoping they change that completely for the TV series but with how much that would alter things I doubt it happens.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #473
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

There is going to be a lot more time wasted on that love story I imagine.. too bad.

Gendry is replacing the other #######, that might save time.

Still not revealing who Ramsay is.. they also aren't revealing the full intentions of Roose with Jamie, and the Red Wedding is set up.

They must plan to kind of twist all of those threads together for the finale..
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #474
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
There is going to be a lot more time wasted on that love story I imagine.. too bad.

Gendry is replacing the other #######, that might save time.

Still not revealing who Ramsay is.. they also aren't revealing the full intentions of Roose with Jamie, and the Red Wedding is set up.

They must plan to kind of twist all of those threads together for the finale..
Yeah I thought it was interesting Edric Storm wasn't introduced in the show, but I suppose Gendry can fill that role.

Still gotta think Gendry has more to offer in Winds of Winter or Dream of Spring to come.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #475
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Still gotta think Gendry has more to offer in Winds of Winter or Dream of Spring to come.
This would almost confirm that he doesn't, it would seem.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #476
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
This would almost confirm that he doesn't, it would seem.
Ya, it's not like Martin can introduce some great plot arc for Gendry in the books now since the show has taken his character in a completely different direction. Too bad, I was hoping he'd somehow either take the throne or at least gain some noble legitimacy
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #477
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope some of the changes we see in the TV show don't tip off upcoming events in the books.

I don't think they explicitly told Gendry why he was being handed over. I suppose if they keep that he is Robert's son from Gendry then it hasn't closed any future book storylines.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #478
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Loras is NOT going to join the Kingsguard? That is what the snapping of the quill seemed to indicate but it wasn't clear.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #479
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Oh and one great thing about the TV series is that we get to see characters interact that the book never covered, since there's only a select cast of characters that the book follows. The scene with Olenna and Tywin was fantastic, same with the interactions between Varys and Littlefinger. It's great to see characters like them get fleshed out a bit more
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #480
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
So Loras is NOT going to join the Kingsguard? That is what the snapping of the quill seemed to indicate but it wasn't clear.
This is confusing me too, since in the books Loras is a 3rd born son but in the show they seem to have set him up as the heir to Highgarden

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming