Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2024, 12:05 PM   #461
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

For me I've got
1. Lindstrom
2. Demidov
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
5. Iginla
6. Catton
7. Dickenson
8. Helenius

All pretty close but iginla and catton have the gamebreaker upside I'd like to see the flames take a swing at. Helenius I think tops out as a solid 2 way 2C and Dickenson a 3/4 dman.
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #462
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
If they dont draft Iginla, I will riot.
I'm so torn on this. If he's best available when the Flames pick it sure seems like a miss if they dont draft him, but at the same time I would be the highest pressure place the could possibly draft him. At least his dad works for the Flames so if they do draft him i'm sure it will be because they think its best for him. Jarome also thrived in high pressure situations so maybe?

It would be so cool.
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 01:55 PM   #463
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I don't get the pressure thing.

These are people who are planning on being professional athletes. If they can't handle pressure, they wouldnt be being drafted in the 1st round.

It's overblown on here.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 02:00 PM   #464
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I don't get the pressure thing.

These are people who are planning on being professional athletes. If they can't handle pressure, they wouldnt be being drafted in the 1st round.

It's overblown on here.
Maybe, but not all pressure is equal. And we know that players feel different pressures in different markets. They talk about it all the time.

The pressure of being drafted 15th overall in a Canadian market with the name of the greatest player to play for that organization on your back is going to be significantly different than being drafted 15th overall to Columbus. No question.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 02:05 PM   #465
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Maybe, but not all pressure is equal. And we know that players feel different pressures in different markets. They talk about it all the time.

The pressure of being drafted 15th overall in a Canadian market with the name of the greatest player to play for that organization on your back is going to be significantly different than being drafted 15th overall to Columbus. No question.
Yeah, I agree with that.

I think a truly great player would relish that opportunity. And I hope he will be one of those truly great players. No better place to do that than Calgary. That's what you draft him for.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 02:05 PM   #466
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Celebrini
2. Buium
3. Eiserman
4. Lindstrom
5. Demidov
6. Levshunov
7. Silayev
8. Yakemchuk
9. Iginla
10. Catton
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:09 PM   #467
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
I'm so torn on this. If he's best available when the Flames pick it sure seems like a miss if they dont draft him, but at the same time I would be the highest pressure place the could possibly draft him. At least his dad works for the Flames so if they do draft him i'm sure it will be because they think its best for him. Jarome also thrived in high pressure situations so maybe?

It would be so cool.
If they draft him and it seems like the pressure is too much, they can always move him.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:13 PM   #468
DSIM420
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If we pick outside the top 4, we have to pick Iginla. I watch him in Kelowna and he is exactly the type of player Calgary needs. Uncle Craig won't let him go somewhere else!
DSIM420 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSIM420 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 02:15 PM   #469
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with that.

I think a truly great player would relish that opportunity. And I hope he will be one of those truly great players. No better place to do that than Calgary. That's what you draft him for.
Yeah, agree with you there. The pressure is going to be higher, but some guys thrive in it, and those are the guys you want leading the team in the future.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:23 PM   #470
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe the Flames can finally benefit from a player getting drafted elsewhere and refusing to sign, only to force them to trade his rights at a discount to the team where his dad works! Then the Flames can pick someone else with their pick. haha
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:28 PM   #471
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard that the Iginla family didn't want the Hitmen to draft Joe because they felt playing in Calgary would put extra pressure on him. Not first hand knowledge but something I've heard.

Now at the NHL level I'm sure things are a little different as Tij is going to have huge pressure no matter where he plays, but I do wonder if it would be the families preferred outcome.

If the Flames used an early pick on him and he ends up being a bust I'm sure the fan reaction would be a lot more intense in Calgary than it would in other markets due to the history.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-26-2024 at 02:31 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:33 PM   #472
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I've heard that the Iginla family didn't want the Hitmen to draft Joe because they felt playing in Calgary would put extra pressure on him. Not first hand knowledge but something I've heard.

Now at the NHL level I'm sure things are a little different as he's going to have huge pressure no matter where he plays, but I do wonder if it would be the families preferred outcome.

If the Flames used an early pick on him and he ends up being a bust I'm sure the fan reaction would be a lot more intense in Calgary than it would in other markets due to the history.
That’s not too surprising for 15-16 year old kids, where parents are doing their best to get them in a good development spot. But with 18 year olds that are somewhat locking in for 5-7 years, I don’t think that the parents opinion is going to hold as much weight. Maybe Iggy wanted his sons to grow up on their own and maturing before ending up in the Calgary pressure
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:35 PM   #473
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
That’s not too surprising for 15-16 year old kids, where parents are doing their best to get them in a good development spot. But with 18 year olds that are somewhat locking in for 5-7 years, I don’t think that the parents opinion is going to hold as much weight. Maybe Iggy wanted his sons to grow up on their own and maturing before ending up in the Calgary pressure
Classic Dumbledore gambit
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 02:38 PM   #474
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Yeah, the age difference matters. Pressure for an 18 year old is a lot different than pressure on a 15 year old. Plus, it varies from person to person even if they share the same last name. Tij might be up for it more than Joe, who knows.

Jarome and Conroy obviously know these kids better than anyone else and will do what is appropriate.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:49 PM   #475
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Upside Hockey's prospect profile page for the 2024 draft which collates all of Sandman's great work now live:

15 profiles already!

Alphabetical for now with a table of contents at the top.

So far...

Cole Beaudoin C
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard RW
Berkly Catton C
Melvin Fernstrom RW
Noel Fransen D
Alfons Freij D
Liam Greentree RW
Emil Hemming RW
Henry Mews D
Lucas Pettersson C
Ryder Ritchie RW
Beckett Sennecke RW
Leo Sahlin Wallenius D
Carson Wetsch RW
Simon Zether C

https://bit.ly/2024nhldraftprofiles

Last edited by cral12; 01-26-2024 at 03:23 PM.
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cral12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 03:00 PM   #476
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Now at the NHL level I'm sure things are a little different as Tij is going to have huge pressure no matter where he plays, but I do wonder if it would be the families preferred outcome.

Could also be that the Hitmen have been mediocre for far too long. Similar to 95% of all players telling Prince George they won't go there if drafted. Top players definitely have some control over who drafts them, I imagine Jarome holds a hefty amount of sway as well. The top players definitely have very good ideas of who drafts them and also have some control over it.

Makes me wonder why Daymond Langkow's kid refused to report to Lethbridge after getting traded there a week or so back. Peters?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:01 PM   #477
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Liam Greentree related to the same Greentree that used to be in the Flames system?
Old 01-26-2024, 03:51 PM   #478
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Is Liam Greentree related to the same Greentree that used to be in the Flames system?
Most likely not.

Kyle was from BC and never played in Ontario, and Liam was born in Oshawa. When Liam was born, Kyle was playing in Alaska.

Last edited by Ped; 01-26-2024 at 04:02 PM.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:03 PM   #479
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
I'm so torn on this. If he's best available when the Flames pick it sure seems like a miss if they dont draft him, but at the same time I would be the highest pressure place the could possibly draft him.
Solution: If he's the type who wilts under pressure then I don't want the Flames drafting him anyways.

For me it's like this... set aside the last name, set aside who in the org is a family friend... when the Flames pick is he the the best talent on the board? If "yes" select him, if "no" do not.

I don't care one iota that his last name is Iginla. Draft for talent and if that comes with a bonus marketing angle so much the better... but that's all it is... a bonus.

Simple as that.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:51 PM   #480
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope I didn't forget anyone:

1) C Mack Celebrini
2) C Cayden Lindstrom
3) D Artyom Levshunov
4) D Anton Silayev
5) LW Ivan Demidov
6) D Sam Dickinson
7) C Berkly Catton
8) C Konsta Helenius
9) LW Cole Eiserman
10) D Carter Yakemchuk
11) LW Tij Iginla
12) D Adam Jiricek
13) D Zeev Buium
14) RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
15) D Zayne Parekh
16) LW Trevor Connelly
17) RW Beckett Sennecke
18) RW Liam Greentree
19) C Ryder Ritchie
20) LW Igor Chernyshov
21) RW Emil Hemming
22) C Sacha Boisvert
23) LW Tanner Howe
24) LW Andrew Basha
25) D Henry Mews
26) D Charlie Elick
27) C Michael Hage
28) LW Matvei Gridin
29) D Leo Salin Wallenius
30) RW Tarik Parascak
31) C Cole Beaudoin
32) C Sam O'Reilly

Honorable mention to C Lucas Petterson.

Last edited by Sandman; 01-26-2024 at 06:55 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft