Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2024, 11:05 AM   #441
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Purely unrelated…anyone else wonder what Springs1 is up to these days?
Old 05-22-2024, 11:09 AM   #442
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
If we keep talking about tipping we should find out shortly.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:31 AM   #443
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

prices have gone up so much recently, that the fact that it is tipping in % that makes the tips sky rocket as well.

But it isn't as bad as real estate agents commission structure!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:40 AM   #444
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And tipping percentages used to be based on pre-tax totals, but with machines they just roll that all in. So convenient!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:51 AM   #445
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
And tipping percentages used to be based on pre-tax totals, but with machines they just roll that all in. So convenient!
I notice most do, some don't, but it is a dick move for 1% more.

I've been told that some fast food places that have tips just put those on the bottomline and not to the employees so I worry about that. I think in most situations, if I'm buying the food and picking it up myself, then why the tip. If I'm at subway (or any place like that), the literal job is them to make the sandwich for me, so why the tip. overpriced coffee, why the tip.
All these tip requests are just making me bitter and I don't want to take that out on when I should actually tip.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:54 AM   #446
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nope
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:55 AM   #447
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just found out that a restaurant that I love. Really nice owners, great food, fresh... everything positive... has been keeping the tips of the servers.

Maybe this is the only way that they are staying out of the red, but I'm not sure how to react to it. How does one call that sort of thing out, without killing the business. If I talk to the owners, I'm pretty much done as a customer in the future, even if they change. Anonymous tip?
Old 05-22-2024, 11:55 AM   #448
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Said 3X and Springs1 will be summoned.

Also, a restaurant opened in Toronto a while back where tipping was not allowed. They shutdown recently.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:56 AM   #449
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I notice most do, some don't, but it is a dick move for 1% more.

I've been told that some fast food places that have tips just put those on the bottomline and not to the employees so I worry about that. I think in most situations, if I'm buying the food and picking it up myself, then why the tip. If I'm at subway (or any place like that), the literal job is them to make the sandwich for me, so why the tip. overpriced coffee, why the tip.
All these tip requests are just making me bitter and I don't want to take that out on when I should actually tip.
I thought it was illegal for restaurants to take tips ?

I actually have less issue tipping a subway worker $1 for making my sandwich . That is a hard non relenting job for minimum wage and the tip is going right to the person doing the work
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:59 AM   #450
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There's a place in the NE that I hit all the time, off Memorial north of the Franklin LRT station, "Village Pita Bakery". I've been going there for 20 years, incredible food.

Everytime they hand you the terminal they quickly hit "no tip" and confirm real quick then spin it around to you. Same deal everytime, they don't give you a chance to even see that tip screen. A few times by chance I have a $5 bill in my wallet and left it behind of course.

Pretty sure they're from Lebanon, is there something with the culture that's involved with them bypassing the tipping?
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 12:01 PM   #451
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cana...tipping-no-tip

"A new low": Outrage after Canadian restaurant forces tipping by hiding "no tip" option

https://twitter.com/user/status/1792635830873301274
Regardless of the validity of the artcle, isn't this where you hit the $ button and enter .01 for tip?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:54 PM   #452
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
There's a place in the NE that I hit all the time, off Memorial north of the Franklin LRT station, "Village Pita Bakery". I've been going there for 20 years, incredible food.

Everytime they hand you the terminal they quickly hit "no tip" and confirm real quick then spin it around to you. Same deal everytime, they don't give you a chance to even see that tip screen. A few times by chance I have a $5 bill in my wallet and left it behind of course.

Pretty sure they're from Lebanon, is there something with the culture that's involved with them bypassing the tipping?
Love that place. I thought they only did that to me.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:57 PM   #453
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I just found out that a restaurant that I love. Really nice owners, great food, fresh... everything positive... has been keeping the tips of the servers.

Maybe this is the only way that they are staying out of the red, but I'm not sure how to react to it. How does one call that sort of thing out, without killing the business. If I talk to the owners, I'm pretty much done as a customer in the future, even if they change. Anonymous tip?
Kinda sound like they shouldn't still be in business if that is how they treat their staff...

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:32 PM   #454
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

“Really nice owners “ they are nice to you because they want your money- bet they’re not so nice back in the kitchen.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:34 PM   #455
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Working in the service industry for many years during university, I got accustomed to defaulting to a 20% tip. Recently I've decided I'm going strictly 15% again unless the service is above and beyond.

I honestly think it's the tip function that comes up at every establishment that has soured me on it. I got asked for a tip at the liquor store the other day...
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:53 PM   #456
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

15% tipping for sit down or delivery, 0% around the board everywhere else. I may have posted it in here earlier but the most ridiculous tipping option I’ve ever seen was for the company that replaced my garage door opener. I was stunned when I paid the invoice and a tip option of 10, 15 and 20% popped up.

I lowered the POS machine and looked at the tech in disbelief. He didn’t say anything about it.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:11 PM   #457
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My default is 12-15% but I may tip far more. Recently we took a personal tour (four of us) that was so good that I tipped 80%. The guide was the best. I don’t tip on takeout when I’m just picking up.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:13 PM   #458
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
15% tipping for sit down or delivery, 0% around the board everywhere else. I may have posted it in here earlier but the most ridiculous tipping option I’ve ever seen was for the company that replaced my garage door opener. I was stunned when I paid the invoice and a tip option of 10, 15 and 20% popped up.

I lowered the POS machine and looked at the tech in disbelief. He didn’t say anything about it.
Ugh...I remember years ago I was doing Taxes at a smaller company and we had the POS machines on our desks and the Boss got new ones and they came with the 'Tip Option' and he chose to leave it on there.

That didn't last a day for me.

Nope. You want to bill people then bill people. This is a professional service. No. No. No.

Even today..."what? No tip option?"

I can raise the price if you like, but no, no tip option.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 04:17 PM   #459
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post

I got a tipping option for furnace cleaning.

I was confused and asked a few people if they ever tipped for furnace cleaning and I just got a WTF.

If you need to charge more just do it, stop adding a dumb tip option for services that don't require it and stop making things awkward.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 05:03 PM   #460
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And now I'm going to tell a hilarious 'Tipping Story' featuring....Greyhound!

Whenever a Bus pulls in, everyone who is not actively loading a bus or outbound Truck has to help unload it.

I had this African man behind me..."Get my bag! Get my bag!"

To which I give the same old standard reply..."I'll get it when I get to it...there are other bags in front of it."

Now imagine a Bus Freight Compartment. I'm bent over at the waist hauling out freight and luggage and I've got this frantic guy behind me and its getting a little concerning.

I tell him: "Hey man, don't worry. You can see that there are many bags in front of yours. I need to clear those and then you may have yours and then go on to enjoy your day!"

I keep clearing luggage and freight and then all of a sudden....STARS.

I'm bent over removing luggage and freight and the guy grabbed the hair on the back of my head and slammed my skull into the luggage compartment door 3 times before my co-workers could stop him.

Later on, after all the medical attention a Greyhound sink and antique First Aid Kit could give, I ran into the guy in the Depot while I was getting a coffee and he offered to tip me $50 for 'my trouble.'

Apparently his beloved fiancé was working somewhere in Brooks and he'd come all the way from wherever in Africa (I'd sustained a head injury so I don't remember where) and her wedding dress was in his bag and he was seriously worried about it!

Oh yeah! Thats a great excuse for slamming my skull repeatedly into the side of a goddamned Bus!

So he offered me $50.

And thats my tipping story. No, dont worry about my bleeding cranium and probable concussion and...quite frankly, the outright assault, yeah $50 ought to cover it.

I was not a happy person.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: