Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #4541
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well Bigtime was there! What a nice morning for a ride.
Good to see you again in person internet friend.

Great turnout, crazy seeing all the people on the paths as I rode into work after. Being in the early shift I'm not used to seeing so many riding into work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #4542
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was there at 7:15. Great ride in, my first in wayyy too long.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #4543
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of those days I wish I didn't work from home. I guess I'll have to make it a Bike after Work day.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #4544
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Drive. takes us a day and half. Leave on the Friday, get to Great Falls, then finish the drive. When my son was 2 my wife flew to Salt Lake and I drove and met her at the airport. We finished the drive together.

Instead of Whitefish, go to Helena. Better biking overall. Plus they have a free shuttle right from town. If you stay downtown at the holiday inn, you never have to drive once you are there. You walk around the corner, meet the shuttle, and ride. Or you just ride from downtown. You can get to all the trailheads pretty easy.
never realized it is only a few hours further to go to moab than it is to go to bend, or

I booked a bike trip for myself in revelstoke this summer; however, the wife is debating us getting away to somewhere for a few days - she was thinking Kelowna or whitefish - I will suggest Helena as a quick look at the trails and I was like wow.......of course, we would need to rent a condo or something as my kids are getting in their early teens.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #4545
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

For the most part I prefer just one-shotting Moab in a day. Even if you stay somewhere, the 2nd day drive still sucks, so you might as well just drive a little longer and go to bed in Moab.

I'm jealous of everyone going. It's Disneyland for mountain bikers.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #4546
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granted my commute doesn't take me near many bike paths but I only saw two cyclists this morning which is about normal.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #4547
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

They installed a new counter on the east leg of the Riverwalk, between Centre Street Bridge and Langevin Bridge.

It looks pretty slick. I think I was bike 565 for the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #4548
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Those were darn good pancakes at the breakfast at Eau Claire this morning! I didn't stay long, but did manage to get some ideas from Bike Bike about how to get my kid into summer camps without a chariot (or a new bike), so it was a worthwhile stop this morning. Wish I wasn't busy/out of town for the next three weekends, I'd love to get the bike out for a long ride (which would be a short ride for most of you!). Maybe one evening I'll make my husband pick my daughter up from school and I'll do an extended commute home.
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #4549
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I made it to Eau Claire in time to get those awesome pancakes. I was going to go into work but decided to bike back home instead. So it was Bike to Work to Work from Home day for me.

Got my nearly 50km out of the way for the day early.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #4550
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as a complete aside, has anyone ever noticded how many times you will be closing in on another cyclist/pedestrian going the same way as you, and just as you get to them, there is another pathway user coming towards the two of you.

I believe this scenario happens to me many more times than just passing another pathway user going the same direction
Old 05-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #4551
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha! It's like it happens all the time. When there is nobody in front of you the path is clear for MILES ahead. Just like driving on a two lane highway.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #4552
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
as a complete aside, has anyone ever noticded how many times you will be closing in on another cyclist/pedestrian going the same way as you, and just as you get to them, there is another pathway user coming towards the two of you.

I believe this scenario happens to me many more times than just passing another pathway user going the same direction
Yes, Just don't be the guy who is closing in on said cyclist/pedestrian and try to overtake when you can see the opposing cyclist coming at you. This is NOT your right of way.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #4553
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ no, I am the cyclist that slows down and then grumbles about how I need to create more energy to get my speed back to where it was.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #4554
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ no, I am the cyclist that slows down and then grumbles about how I need to create more energy to get my speed back to where it was.
It can be used as a justification for another beer. Many calories burned. Many.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #4555
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

As some of you saw in the Buy & Sell, I'm just starting to ride into work and my armour plated mountain bike just isn't cutting it. I had set a max budget of $400, but found one just over that price that seems to fit the bill. Hoping to get some feedback from you guys:
http://2016.devinci.com/bikes/bike_679
Old 05-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #4556
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

How far do you commute?
How many days per week can n avaerage are you hoping to ride?
Do you anticipate riding much on the weekends for pleasure?

I am sure that bike is fine if ou are riding 140 or so k per week, but if you are riding more, you may want to consider increasing your budget as it will get you a bike with disc brakes, and better and lighter components.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #4557
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
How far do you commute?
How many days per week can n avaerage are you hoping to ride?
Do you anticipate riding much on the weekends for pleasure?

I am sure that bike is fine if ou are riding 140 or so k per week, but if you are riding more, you may want to consider increasing your budget as it will get you a bike with disc brakes, and better and lighter components.
He mentioned in the Buy & Sell it would be about a 20km commute each way to start. Then it would be around 30km.

I think the bike is fine for getting started. They're a good brand and they guys I know who own Devincis enjoy them You'll find the smoother wheels of a road or hybrid bike will feel quick compared the bulky mountain bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #4558
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any of you Strava guys/gals ever get an error about "matched data not found" with the flyby feature?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #4559
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
He mentioned in the Buy & Sell it would be about a 20km commute each way to start. Then it would be around 30km.

I think the bike is fine for getting started. They're a good brand and they guys I know who own Devincis enjoy them You'll find the smoother wheels of a road or hybrid bike will feel quick compared the bulky mountain bike.
The other thing for perspective is that I had been looking at a $200 bike from Canadian Tire. And I had been using a very old mountain bike- quite possibly double the weight of this new bike. The one thing a buddy from work mentioned, if I bought the CT bike it wouldn't be much of an upgrade, and I'd probably hate it. Whereas with this bike I'm far more likely to enjoy it and stick with it. Also, if I decide next year I don't want to cycle anymore, this one will hold its value a lot better.

I ended up buying this one after work and took it for a ride home. There were two hills from my previous ride home where I had to walk my bike. This time I only had to walk it up the one hill. I may have made it up the other hill but my knee was starting to give me problems, and I didn't want to push it. I had also be lagging far behind my buddy who rides all the time, but this afternoon I was keeping pace with him a lot better. The 19 km ride that took 65 minutes on Wednesday took 55 minutes today, and that was with a strong head wind.

I do also have to give kudos to the guys at Lifesport, as they took care of me and really helped me stick close to my intended budget.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #4560
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread

Have any of you ever bought a bike for a significant other that they've never had a chance to test out? My wife wants to buy a new bike (cruiser/casual) but was only planning to spend max $300. I want to surprise her for her birthday with a better quality bike (more like $600-$700 range) but I'm worried about finding one that I think has everything she wants and then her not liking it/it not fitting super well. Is this a bad idea?

Edit: Also, does anyone have experience with Felt bikes? Specifically looking at Felt Verza Cafe 7.

Last edited by rd_aaron; 05-06-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Closed Thread