Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2022, 12:46 AM   #4441
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To me, blood spots mean nothing, there's little build up, they do it almost constantly, and its more eye rolling then awesome.

That and they just seem to want to gimmick every single match. Its just fanboy booking.

Yeah, their roster is way to bloated, and on top of it, AEW just has a high injury rate as well, because everything needs to be a huge spot with no reason or investment.

There's also a over reliance on factions and alliances. It has no meaning. And the Blackpool combat club is holding back guys that are amazing.

If I was Tony, I'm sorry, but I wouldn't allow active wrestlers to be in authority executive postions, and I would find a booker that understands wrestling psychology. Don't get me wrong, AEW does have some great moments to it, but it just feels like a combination of ECW's need to make everything extreme, and WCW style of off the spot booking.

The Malakai stuff is just cringe worthy. Miro should be a bigger star. I used to really love Cole in NXT, now he's a guy that's just not that interesting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #4442
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Wrestling companies need someone to be looking at the big picture and 'does this make sense' to counter the cool spot booking.

I'm far from an expert, but when I'm asked to do something for a show, on more than one occasion I've said "ok, gimme a second to think this through". Sometimes I suggest something new, usually it's a small tweak, once it was "I personally wouldn't do that, but I suppose the commissioner would".

Sometimes all you need is 10 seconds of exposition or explanation... but we need that as fans for the story to be logical.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #4443
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wrestling Companies have lost the plot when it comes to booking. A big reason why I don't watch much wrestling is that its not about story telling anymore. Its about single match big spots, and who cares.

I like storylines and build up. And yes you leave something for the PPV to make me want to watch it. But when you have blood for bloods sake. And 8 billion factions running around. And idiots just trying to get their stuff in, it to me gets boring.

And yeah, I think producers or agents need to actually do a better job in both companies instead of letting the wrestlers let it rip. Wrestlers are really their own worst enemy.

Jericho was very good in WWE because frankly they filtered his creativity because half of the time when he's on the loose his ideas are ridiculous.

We talk about WWE scripting promo's, and yeah I agree its over heavy. But 3/4 of the wrestlers today really do need some kind of over sight on their promo's because their promo work is awful and when they do it on their own nonsense.

If you want a prime example of creativity killing a company when the Wrestlers are pretty much controling the stories or you have an idiot in charge, look at WCW. Look at what happened when Stampede Wrestling's book was handed to Bruce Hart. Or when Bish took over creative in AWA (Turkey on a pole match any ways).

Malakai Black is a prime example of lunacy wrecking the product, because the story line stuff he's doing is just crap.

Oh and two pet peeves that I'm really sick of.

The waiting for 30 seconds to catch a guy diving through or off or over the ropes. It looks like garbage.

The camera work in AEW when brawls are happening and the punches are missing by 2 feet and the whole thing looks phony.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:26 PM   #4444
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now Johnny Gargano is back.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:43 PM   #4445
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hunter just running back black and gold NXT with more production value

Sounds good to me
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 08:45 PM   #4446
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1561805409907777537
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 10:54 PM   #4447
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like No Way Jose scammed a promoter in Winnipeg and after all day of making excuses why he kept missing his flight changed it to go to Orlando and cashed in the other $750 to debut for AEW. Apparently he payed it back though after being threatened legal action.

The promoter is apparently a big anti-vaxxer but it's still not cool to string someone along like that.

Last edited by Inferno; 08-22-2022 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:43 AM   #4448
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Busy local wrestling scene right now and it looks like a decent show coming Sept 9/ 10 put on by the Wild Rose Sports Association at the old Victoria Pavilion. Looks like they've pulled together wrestlers from various "promorions" and have some international talent on the way including the Billington Bulldogs, real life nephews of the Dynamite Kid. Only real information is via their facebook. Hopefully they can put together a good show, will no doubt be better then what Hart Legacy Wrestling is currently trying to pull off.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:43 PM   #4449
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edge teased retiring in the next year after last night's show.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1561925935925952512
Old 08-23-2022, 04:46 PM   #4450
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if they would do Summerslam 2023 in Toronto...would be a cool send off for Edge.

Guess it's tough with the Blue Jays playing in the summer but they could try to send them on the roadtrip for a week.

Kind of crazy that they did Wrestlemania 6 and Wrestlemania 18 in Toronto (with Hogan-Warrior, and Hogan-Rock being some of the biggest WM moments) but haven't went back there since.

Owens vs Edge in a retirement match at Sky Dome in Toronto would probably be a fun way to send off Edge's career.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-23-2022 at 04:50 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #4451
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Guess it's tough with the Blue Jays playing in the summer but they could try to send them on the roadtrip for a week.
They're in Cincinnati on the 18th, 19th, and 20th. If they wanted to to it at Rogers Centre they could do it then.

When I went in 2019 the Yankees were there and went to the game before going to SummerSlam.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:50 PM   #4452
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

BTW the edge vs Cena rivalry on A+E is an excellent watch, and really expands on the original WWE rivalry documentary on Edge vs Cena.

Especially how Cena was afraid of heights during a table ladders and chair match.
How Cena accidentally choked out Edge in the middle of a match rendering him unconcious.
And how Edge had to work really hard on Cena to do the finish he had in mind.

Both men came across as extremely sincere in their belief that this rivalry put them on the map in a big way.

John's reaction to his dad's acting . . . . hilarious.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:24 PM   #4453
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finger poke would have been better
Old 08-24-2022, 07:26 PM   #4454
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Update from the last show I worked.

Charlie Hubley demanded his job back

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 07:43 PM   #4455
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
BTW the edge vs Cena rivalry on A+E is an excellent watch, and really expands on the original WWE rivalry documentary on Edge vs Cena.

Especially how Cena was afraid of heights during a table ladders and chair match.
How Cena accidentally choked out Edge in the middle of a match rendering him unconcious.
And how Edge had to work really hard on Cena to do the finish he had in mind.

Both men came across as extremely sincere in their belief that this rivalry put them on the map in a big way.

John's reaction to his dad's acting . . . . hilarious.
Cena vs Edge in a retirement match could be a really well done story
Old 08-24-2022, 07:46 PM   #4456
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Finger poke would have been better
Yeah, I'm really not sure what the point of that was. They went full WCW.

- Give away a PPV match on TV
- Book a world title unifaction match mid-show. Really makes it seem like an important belt when you do that.
- Have a dumb finish that makes neither guy look good.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 08:30 PM   #4457
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have a great roster but I think Tony Kahn is over his head on managing and booking this show
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:01 AM   #4458
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Tony Kahn sent an email to Stephanie and Nick Khan asking them to not tamper with his talent.

I don't think he's got anything to worry about as far as tampering goes. If anyone wants to leave for WWE it's not because they were talked into leaving. It's because the guy that prevents them from having any freedom is gone.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:04 AM   #4459
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I think it was more to remind WWE that contracts are to be respected. I don't think Khan or Stephanie would have enough interest in anyone enough to try and get sued. Contracts are coming due for multiple people in the short to near-term future so I doubt there's any rush.

Talent knows Triple H is in and Vince is out. That's reason enough to come back to WWE.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #4460
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Also, I got tickets to AEW in Toronto on the pre-sale! The ladies in our group just want to go to see Jungle Boy, they think he's ridiculously hot and his theme song is fire.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: