Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #421
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Pavel brendl was a great shooter and went very high on his draft year. But never amounted to much because he didn't have a complete game. Not saying Tippett or Tolvanen are same type of player but have to rely on scouts and their judgment to avoid one dimensional players who have great stats but obvious jokes in their game.
https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/Eeli-Tolvanen/

According to this scouting report, he isn't a player that only plays in one zone.

While agree that just being able to put up goals and points at the junior level isn't everything, and you have to look at things like compete and drive to succeed. That being said if a player has the compete level, drive to get better and have offensive skills like Tolvanen I don't think you pass on him because his defensive game is a little lacking. I think it is easier to learn the defensive end of the game than it is to learn offensive skills.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #422
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tolvanen is decent but Andersson is a better all round player and his shot is just as good imo. His release is super underrated.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #423
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, Tolvanen is small and slow. Definitely not my first choice for 16.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #424
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the Flames token late round refrigerator I've noticed an interesting Czech d-man out of the WHL, Daniel Bukac.

In the limited highlights I've seen, I've noticed that his feet move exceptionally quick without even considering that he's 6'5". He doesn't seem to be a big scorer but he's got the toolkit for sure. I'm not sure about any part of his defensive game so I was wondering if anyone who follows the W more closely could shed some light on his all-round play.

He seems like he'd be a great pick in the 5th+, way better than Bruce anyways.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #425
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

What about Callan Foote? Haven't heard too much talk around him recently
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:20 AM   #426
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
What about Callan Foote? Haven't heard too much talk around him recently
Just a wild guess on my part , but I suspect a few d men will jump up the board , foote being one of them. I have a feeling this draft ends up like a draft where Griffin Reinhardt goes high.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #427
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Just a wild guess on my part , but I suspect a few d men will jump up the board , foote being one of them. I have a feeling this draft ends up like a draft where Griffin Reinhardt goes high.
I hope we aren't the team that takes him higher. Defensive defensemen should be targets in later rounds, not in the first round. Hope we are putting a premium on offensive skill with our first pick.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #428
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know when 2017 NHL draft Hockey News edition comes out. Should hit the shelves soon, shouldn't it?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #429
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Yeah, Tolvanen is small and slow. Definitely not my first choice for 16.
Not sure where you are getting slow from, every scouting report I have read mentions his skating and speed, and from the times I have watched him, I haven't​ seen anything lacking in his skating.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #430
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Our draft section is going strong with 47 Scouting Reports and a Full first round mock draft, as well as a bunch of other articles already.

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com...-headquarters/

New article every day.
Commandant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Commandant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 01:42 AM   #431
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really like Kailer Yamamoto, but he's probably not the right type (read height) for the Flames to spend a first rounder on. The defensive side of his game is a bit of a question mark too.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #432
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the CP hive mind's take on Klim Kostin?

From what I've read, he is a big RW who plays well down low and has a good release. Does the fact that he plays in Russia scare the Flames away?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #433
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Suzuki is intriguing. Is it likely he will be there at 16?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #434
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
I'd guess 50/50.

Ranked #26 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #17 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #19 by Future Considerations
Ranked #28 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #10 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #435
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
What's the CP hive mind's take on Klim Kostin?

From what I've read, he is a big RW who plays well down low and has a good release. Does the fact that he plays in Russia scare the Flames away?
Considering the Flames have only taken 1 kid from Russia in the NHL draft in the past 15 years (and that was with a 7th round pick), it is likely they will have concerns.

Concerns like when will he come over?
Kostin has a KHL contract until the end of the 18/19 season. Does he have a NHL out clause in that contract? If he does have an out, is he going to insist on being assigned back to Russia if he doesn't make the NHL right away? What if he decides to stay in Russia until he is 22 years old +?

What is the risk/reward in picking him?
If he isn't coming over until he is in his 20s, is his talent level that much better than the other players available at that pick? If he is a potential Tarasenko or Kuznetsov, is it worth the risk of him never coming over or deciding to go back to Russia early vs taking another player you know for sure will give you the chance to develop him properly.

Is he coachable?
A common trend in high Russian draft picks that end up going back to Russia is that they either butt heads with coaches or just don't listen to them.

If you can get good answers to those above questions and the talent checks out, then he looks like a solid pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
There is a decent chance, McKenzie doesn't have him in his top 15. That being said the Flames are picking near the bottom of a tier where there are a lot of players that have similar long term projections (IMO). It is going to depend on what qualities the other teams that pick ahead of them like.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #436
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little off topic, but I did find it amusing that the Flames twitter account wished Rafikov a happy birthday.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #437
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
A little off topic, but I did find it amusing that the Flames twitter account wished Rafikov a happy birthday.
Why? he is still considered a Flames Prospect.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #438
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do the Flames still have a Russian area scout? I remembered they hired one during Feaster's tenure, but haven't heard much. When they drafted Rafikov, they became more aware of him while doing their due diligence on Nichushkin more than anything while having conversations with Igor Kravchuk.

I am actually a little bit surprised that at least a few later round picks haven't been used on some Russians given that the Flames have (had?) someone over there scouting. Maybe they just had other prospects consistently ranked higher.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #439
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have zero confidence in the Flames European scouts. Other than Backlund, I can't think of the last european that has panned out. Granlund was decent I guess but hardly an impact guy.

Alexander Dielert
Joni Ortio
Henrik Bjorklund
Rushan Rafikov

Ollas-Mattson has some promise, but you are looking at a 6th defenceman if he pans out. Kylington looks promising, but there are some holes in his game and i'm not quite sold on him yet, and he was also a high profile prospect who anyone with a Hockey News Draft Preview could have taken. Andersson looks like he'll play but he was drafted out of the CHL, so he doesn't count.

When I look at what the Predators European scouts have done, it really makes you wonder what the Flames euro scouts are being paid for.

Arvidsson in the 4th round;
Saros in the 3rd round;
Ekholm in the 4th round;
Josi in the 2nd round;
Lindback in the 7th (not a big name but has played 130 games);
Hornqvist in the 7th round;
Rinne in the 8th round

Half of their core was drafted outside of the first round and from Europe.

Flames should be poaching the Predators European scouts.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I hope the Flames stay away from the Euro leagues, because they don't seem to have the scouts in place to properly assess talent there.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #440
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Suzuki falls to 16 I will learn how to do a cartwheel and then do some. I really don't think there's any chance of it. Treliving should be looking to trade up for him in my opinion.

I like Kostin as well but the Flames don't really pick Russians and he's a real big question mark what with the injuries and lack of real production before the injury.

One Russian I hope the Flames look at late is Dmitri Rodionychev. He played most of his draft year in the KHL and he is a huuuuge dude (6'3" 225 at 18yo). Typically, when a player plays his draft year in the K, he ends up being a pretty decent player.

Tags
2017 nhl draft , 2017 nhl draft rankings , nhl entry draft