Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 05:39 AM   #4341
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Did we see him die?
No. Never saw Ghost die, but...

Very happy the NK is done. That's always been periferal to the real story. So the masses are gone but the main players (mostly) are in the battle for the thrown to the end.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 06:40 AM   #4342
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1122715645802688512
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 06:43 AM   #4343
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slap the next person who babbles the nonesense 'since the show outpaced the books'. GRRM hasn't been relevant for several seasons now. The last two books were complete garbage. The show runners have been flying on their own for a long time now.
So you would have down it differently, better? Fine.
GRRM couldn't. He has not added anything of much value (except incoherent babble) to the story for nearly 20 years.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:51 AM   #4344
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Also, can we take a moment here to really appreciate how useless Bran is as a character?

Wasn't this conflict basically his whole raison d'etre? He wargs into some birds and then does nothing all episode? I guess there's a chance he has some major role in the war that's upcoming, but jesus christ, the whole Three-eyed Raven/Night King beef was a thing and it just amounted to so much nothing. His entire purpose was bait? Did we really have to suffer through so many of his scenes if he was just bait? haha
Did you expect a paralyzed dude in a wheel chair to be an active participant in action sequences? I'm pretty sure he still has a big role in this as there's obviously a reason he was the prime target of the Night King. It's my feeling that he already knew the fate of the white walkers and left with the Ravens to scout the next threat (Cersei maybe?).
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:57 AM   #4345
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching the preview for next week, I noticed there's a very quick shot of the survivors gathered in front of Winterfell with some of the major characters carrying torches towards what appear to be large funeral pyres.

I took a screen grab and labelled the people I could recognize. I know some people avoid the promos at all costs, so I've put it in tags. It doesn't really spoil anything if you've already watched this week's episode.

Spoiler!

This confirms a few survivors that people were wondering about.

Last edited by getbak; 04-29-2019 at 07:01 AM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 07:03 AM   #4346
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jon's claim to the throne just got a lot stronger considering dany's forces are almost totally annihilated.The legendary army that was supposed to bring the Seven kingdoms to its knees was snuffed out so easily

Last edited by Matata; 04-29-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #4347
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yay Ghost!
Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #4348
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

And I think I learned my lesson after this episode: don't read deeply into any fan theories.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #4349
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Sam's girlfriend Gilly make it?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:25 AM   #4350
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Howdy. Watched on cable on my Pioneer Elite plasma (still love plasma) and some scenes were still too dark.

Yup amazing episode. I thought they might carry it over into next week.

Agree with the poster who thought it should have been Jon to take down the Night King or perhaps along with Arya.

Seems weird after all that Jon was left trapped and unable to reach the Night King.
It's like when Crosby was hurt and couldn't play in most of Game 7 the first time the Pens won the Cup.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 07:30 AM   #4351
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I thought it convenient that Dany’s entire Army was wiped out. Now she has to rely on the north to side her in her throne quest. I guess that a lot of the next couple episodes are inner squabbling.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #4352
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dany gonna be real cheesed when Cersei calls her the beggar queen.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #4353
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Yeah I thought it convenient that Dany’s entire Army was wiped out. Now she has to rely on the north to side her in her throne quest. I guess that a lot of the next couple episodes are inner squabbling.

Does the North have anything left either?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #4354
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
There were a few houses that follow the Starks that stayed home to defend their lands. If the NK targeted Winterfell directly they should still be around.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #4355
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Jon's claim to the throne just got along stronger considering dany's forces are almost totally annihilated.The legendary army that was supposed to bring the Seven kingdoms to its knees was snuffed out so easily

Totally. Look, I get that the show runners wanted to decimate Danny's army because it probably leads to something but I really wish they had written it better. It seems odd to me that the person so focused on the iron throne, someone who just the previous episode got pissy when Sansa insisted the north remain free and when Jon revealed his true lineage would agree to throw away her armies in such a reckless fashion.

What exactly were they hoping to accomplish with that Dothraki charge? You need your men way more than the Night King needs his. Don't needlessly sacrifice them. It would have been better to have them charge in on the flank once the Unsullied were fighting and then show the Dothraki being overwhelmed by the undead. But I guess it looked cool watching their flaming swords get snuffed out. I was half expecting to see those Dothraki return as undead horse warriors and charge against the living.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #4356
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I guess I'm in the minority, but that was one of the biggest letdowns I've seen. I was hoping that tonight might finally do away with the plot armor that all the major characters have developed since the show outpaced the books, but that definitely wasn't the case. So many scenes with either Grey Worm, Jamie, Brenne, Tormund, or Sam completely surrounded by undead with no way out, until the next scene cut and suddenly they're in a different position, getting surrounded again, but somehow always getting away. Cut those out along with the pointless scene of Arya in the library and the show can be the regular 55 minute runtime, I saw zero need for the extended half hour

Then at the end they have this super powerful ominous villain they've been building up since the very beginning, and he goes out like a bitch. Such a lame way to end it and a total deus ex machina. Looking back the only part of that episode that stuck with me was Lyanna Mormont taking out the giant, that was badass. The rest is completely forgettable IMO
I agree.

But I will say it was a great episode to watch. Just a major letdown in terms of the storyline.

They've spent 8 years developing this and it seems like a major, major let down.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #4357
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Great episode, worth the wait. Also, what programming are some of you watching that has your standards well above what GOT is delivering? This #### blows me away, so I can't imagine how impressive the shows you guys are watching are. Any recomendations?
I think GoT is one of the best series ever. But the only time I completely shut off the critical parts of my mind is when I don't care about what I'm watching. And I care about GoT.

I also find that when a series, book, etc has demonstrated very high standards, the slip-ups and bad decisions stand out more. IMHO, Abbey Road is one of the best albums by the best band ever. Which makes Maxwell's Silver Hammer all the more terrible of a song. Similarly, there were scenes in this episode so dumb that they abruptly jarred me out of the happy state I was in.

I'd rate the first three episodes of Season 8:

Ep 1: 9/10
Ep 2: 10/10
Ep 3: 8/10
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #4358
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Now that I've had the night to digest, over thing that really disappointed me was the crypts.... It really was just as simple as raising the Stark dead. Could the Starks, or anyone else, not have thought of that? Seems pretty much every viewer did.

Also I was really disappointed with Sam's story. He reverted back to a coward. Maybe this is to set him up for something better.

And yes it was dumb that all the main character fighters survived. There were points when Breanne was being dogpilled by whights.

Overall though still really enjoyable and entertaining. I really hope we get more on the Knight King's motivations in the last 3 episodes though.

At least 1 dragon is still alive? Was that John's own dragon he was fighting at the end?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #4359
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

House Reed (Jojen and Meera that took Bran north of the wall were from there, and their father was with Ned when Jon was born). I still think House Reed has a role to play in the end.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #4360
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
House Reed (Jojen and Meera that took Bran north of the wall were from there, and their father was with Ned when Jon was born). I still think House Reed has a role to play in the end.
What about Sansa's troops from moon door place? They swooped in during the Battle of the Bastards. Since I can't remember their name let's go with the Rider of Rohan.

The large round fellow from there has still been lurking around.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote