Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #4261
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dicks has never carried full auto weapons. They stopped selling AR-15s after Sandy Hook. This is just using politics for free advertising.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #4262
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is going on now.

like really smart and stuff.

Quote:
President Trump, in a stunning exchange with two senators over whether they would introduce legislation raising the age to buy firearms from 18 to 21, told them, "You're afraid of the NRA."
Trump was speaking to GOP Sen. Pat Toomey and Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin. The two have been pushing background check legislation since 2013.
The exchange began when Trump asked the senators what they were “doing about the 18 to 21,” referring to raising the age. The senators demurred, and one said, “whatever you want.”
Trump then said, “I think it’s something you have to think about.”
They asked him, “would you sign it?”
Trump responded, “I’ll tell you what, I’m going to give it a lot of consideration, and I’m bringing it up. People are bringing it up because they’re afraid to bring it up.”
“The NRA is opposed to it and I'm a fan of the NRA,” Trump said. They love our country but that doesn't mean we have to agree on everything. It doesn't make sense that I have to wait till I'm 21 to get a handgun but I can get this weapon at 18.”
“We didn't address it, Mr. President,” Toomey said.
“Do you know why?” Trump asked. “You're afraid of the NRA.”
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/polit...est/index.html
Old 02-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #4263
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

here's the clip

https://twitter.com/user/status/968949983587328000

It's up to the people in the room to decide. Dianne Feinstein is sitting there nodding.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #4264
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Dicks has never carried full auto weapons. They stopped selling AR-15s after Sandy Hook. This is just using politics for free advertising.
That move was just optics as well. They stopped selling them at Dick's, but moved those sales over to their subsidiary, Field & Stream.

In the face of flagging sales, cutting out firearm and magazine sale won't do them any good. Not only are they losing the revenue from those sales, they are going to lose a lot of business from firearms owners and hunters who now won't shop there. It certainly won't increase their customers base enough to offset loses.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #4265
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

it's actually quite cool to watch this meeting live

Old 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #4266
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
The announcement is actually that they've just now extended halting sales of full auto weapons to all of their stores beyond Dick's, including Field & Stream. Also, they're stopping selling weapons to anyone under 21.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #4267
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even by Trump standards today's dementia attack/table meeting is something else. Just picture the FOX News meltdown if Obama said "Take the guns before due process".
Old 02-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #4268
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That meeting was a complete gong show. These clowns won't even entertain the possibility of banning assault rifles outright, because they don't want to rock the boat with the NRA or stop receiving their blood money to fund their campaigns.

Instead, all their focus is on background checks, mental health, and arming teachers. The first two are fine and dandy, but those won't solve your mass shooting problem alone. Not even close. And arming teachers is such an incredibly stupid idea. That country is so f***ed.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #4269
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
The announcement is actually that they've just now extended halting sales of full auto weapons to all of their stores beyond Dick's, including Field & Stream. Also, they're stopping selling weapons to anyone under 21.
The announcement is actually that they are stopping the sale of SEMI-AUTOMATIC firearms and magazines at Dick’s and their subsidiaries. Big difference since I’m 99.9% sure that they never sold NFA firearms in the first place.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #4270
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
here's the clip

https://twitter.com/user/status/968949983587328000

It's up to the people in the room to decide. Dianne Feinstein is sitting there nodding.
Remember that back in January, Trump agreed with Feinstein in another of these televised meetings to a clean DACA bill. Clearly, anything Trump says in these televised meetings don't mean s**t.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #4271
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Thanks. I forgot they also own Field & Stream.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #4272
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Remember that back in January, Trump agreed with Feinstein in another of these televised meetings to a clean DACA bill. Clearly, anything Trump says in these televised meetings don't mean s**t.
he also said he would sign anything but nothing ever came to his desk.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #4273
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/968983981533401088

https://twitter.com/user/status/968984301571371008

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #4274
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Ah, some Twitter twits thinking it was on purpose, as if somebody is going to fire a gun in a school and get arrested to prove the point that teachers shouldn't be armed.
I am sure Alex Jones and his dotards are all over it...
Old 02-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #4275
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And then you have these crazies here:

Worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles hold commitment ceremony

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/worship...mony-1.3822741

Quote:
The church, which has a worldwide following, believes the AR-15 symbolizes the "rod of iron" in the book of Revelation, and encouraged couples to bring the weapons. An AR-15 was used in the Florida high school massacre on Feb. 14.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #4276
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, Walmart ups the age to 21 to buy guns and ammo.
That is big, IMO.
Great to see people and businesses finally doing something, because the NRA backed politicians have proven they can’t.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #4277
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
So, Walmart ups the age to 21 to buy guns and ammo.

That is big, IMO.

Great to see people and businesses finally doing something, because the NRA backed politicians have proven they can’t.

I am hoping that people are finally recognizing that following along with the NRA or lax gun laws is the wrong side of history to be on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #4278
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'll be interested to see if Trump does go against the gun lobby by pushing the legal age to purchase AR-15s (and long rifles) back to 21.

i mean, i dunno... seems like a very easy 'win' for compromise between GOP and dems here...let's see if the GOP and trump have any backbone though
Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #4279
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Old 02-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #4280
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was quick. Florida just passed a new bill today to create a state-wide program to start training and arming teachers. Apparently it still has to get approved by the house and senate first, and also has to be approved by the school board. Hopefully this buffoonery gets shut down.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/poli...202360759.html

Quote:
Facing anguished relatives and classmates of shooting victims, two House and Senate committees advanced legislation Tuesday to create a new statewide program to put armed teachers in classrooms — over the vocal opposition of teachers, parents and many Parkland residents.

In the House, the Appropriations Committee voted along party lines to approve the measure to train teachers to carry guns in class under the direction of local law enforcement — if superintendents or the school board approve.
Quote:
The $67 million “school marshal” program is the most controversial aspect of HB 18-06 and SPB 7026, the nearly matching legislation crafted by lawmakers to respond to the killing of 17 students and teachers at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland on Feb. 14.
Quote:
“The reality is, we should have acted this comprehensively long ago,” said Sen. Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton, the sponsor of the Senate reform package.

Most of the money for the program would be spent on training. Oliva said he didn’t know if teachers would be provided guns or would have to buy them, but the House plan does provide a one-time $500 stipend for those who volunteer to have a gun.

The proposals still need the approval of the full House and Senate plus the signature of Gov. Rick Scott to be enacted. The governor has said he opposes “arming teachers.”

I love this tweet in response:

Quote:
Geraldine‏
@everywhereist

Schools: We don't need guns. We need more funding.

GOP: Here's $67 million

Schools: OH MY GO-

GOP: It's for guns.

8:26 AM - 28 Feb 2018
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread