Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2024, 01:29 PM   #4261
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Bob Hartley
Quote:
“The real story behind the chin-up controversy was he had a torn shoulder that needed surgery, so once he got that done he rehabbed and joined us for the start of the (2014-15) playoffs as a scrawny kid who wasn’t scared of anything,” said former Flames coach Bob Hartley, who coached Bennett his first two seasons in the NHL.

“We played Vancouver and then Anaheim and you remember how big the Ducks were back then? He was an 18-year-old who was lacking experience, but not lacking desire, and you could count on him to take runs at the Sedins, or at (Ryan) Getzlaf.
Mason Raymond
Quote:
“In my mind I was going in the next game because he couldn’t move and it sounded like someone broke his leg. Turns out he got his rib popped back and was good to go.

“He played the next game. I just remember thinking, ‘this rookie is hurt badly', but the fact he was so determined to get back in and help the team was enormous. He’s a warrior.”
Kris Versteeg
Quote:
“It’s not shocking how successful he’s been in the playoffs.

“Knowing Benny, and understanding him for two years, in the regular season he was trying to do too much. He was young and trying to live up to the hype. He was still trying to play junior hockey, not pro hockey.

“In the playoffs it’s simplifying his ice, moving the puck and battling, the type of hockey he knows how to play.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...ett-a-warrior/
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:36 PM   #4262
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
2-3 years? Nah

He has a long career ahead

He can go to Vegas, skip the 82 game grind and magically heal just in time to suit up for the playoffs
He's perfect for it. You really don't lose too much by him missing the regular season, but PO time is a different story.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:39 PM   #4263
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever the case. I hate that Sam Bennett is not a Calgary Flame. Same with Sean Monahan. Should never have let those two go.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:39 PM   #4264
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Sam Bennett
Quote:
Bennett was loudly booed every time he touched the puck in Game 4 of the Boston-Florida second-round Stanley Cup playoff series. The 27-year-old had the last laugh, though, as his controversial goal helped the Panthers claim a 3-2 win and take a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven set.

After the game, Bennett was asked about being hated in one of hockey’s most passionate hubs.

“It was pretty awesome,” Bennett told the NHL on TNT crew. “I’ve never got booed before I don’t think, so it was a new experience that I — I kind of enjoyed it. It made the game that much more intense, much more exciting for me. So, yeah, bring it on.”
https://nesn.com/2024/05/panthers-sa...icy-reception/
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:57 PM   #4265
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I love everything about the way him and Tkachuk play and hope they win a cup.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 12:33 AM   #4266
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Whatever the case. I hate that Sam Bennett is not a Calgary Flame. Same with Sean Monahan. Should never have let those two go.
But then we never would have got Emil Heineman and got rid of that extra first round pick we had in next year’s draft.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:32 PM   #4267
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Legend.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2024, 09:37 PM   #4268
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
But then we never would have got Emil Heineman and got rid of that extra first round pick we had in next year’s draft.
The wizard.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 09:55 PM   #4269
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What brutal management/ coaches we had. Bleeping inexcusable. Embarrassing actually.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2024, 10:00 PM   #4270
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Playoff bennett is a machine. Wish we kept him happier here.
EDMONTONisNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 10:09 PM   #4271
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playoff Benny is my favourite player in the NHL.

Id love to see Bennett get a shot at the Canadian Olympic squad. I know guys like Bennett don’t get much consideration, but not many guys consistently bring it in big games like he does.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2024, 10:19 PM   #4272
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Playoff Benny is my favourite player in the NHL.

Id love to see Bennett get a shot at the Canadian Olympic squad. I know guys like Bennett don’t get much consideration, but not many guys consistently bring it in big games like he does.
While I too would love to see him on the team, if it's international rules with Euro refs, he'll be booted out of the tournament on his first shift.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:33 PM   #4273
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
What brutal management/ coaches we had. Bleeping inexcusable. Embarrassing actually.
And you know Sam would have wanted to be a Flame for life and likely future captain. Seemed he wanted to stay once Darryl was behind the bench but Treliving, the smartest gm in the league, wouldn't have it.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 10:43 PM   #4274
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
I love everything about the way him and Tkachuk play and hope they win a cup.
Hear, hear!
Old 05-30-2024, 10:51 PM   #4275
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's painful how badly this team was mismanaged.

A prime 4th oa Bennett and 6th oa chucky, both drafted by the flames, playing critical roles on what may be a back-to-back finals team.

And we have #### all to show for it, outside of Weegar. But I would trade Weegar if it meant we could get out of Huberdeaus contract, so it's essentially a net 0.

What a ####ing disaster.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2024, 11:30 PM   #4276
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
It's painful how badly this team was mismanaged.

A prime 4th oa Bennett and 6th oa chucky, both drafted by the flames, playing critical roles on what may be a back-to-back finals team.

And we have #### all to show for it, outside of Weegar. But I would trade Weegar if it meant we could get out of Huberdeaus contract, so it's essentially a net 0.

What a ####ing disaster.
This is why you never allow general managers to work into their final years.

Treliving had no plan. Dude blew it the previous Summer, scrambled, and then completely screwed this franchise over.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 11:57 PM   #4277
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This is why you never allow general managers to work into their final years.

Treliving had no plan. Dude blew it the previous Summer, scrambled, and then completely screwed this franchise over.

Even early Tre wasn't very good. I know he was always known around here as the "Wizzard" and we always heard about how he was in on every trade, always on the phone, bidding up prices for the Oilers, skinning everybody at the draft table etc.

He was just ok but made a ton of mistakes. He was a very very active GM that got below average results, he looked like he was always trying to put a team to win together.

After it became obvious this team was a disaster beyond repair did a lot of fans start to turn.

Worst part about the above is that we had Burke during critical years allowing these mistakes to occur!

Who would have known that the Jay Feaster era had a lot of the best talent and most success, getting into the 2nd round and playing well vs the Ducks in 2015!
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote