Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #401
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

We moved my son from an iPhone to a Nexus 4. The only thing I miss is the "find my iPhone" tracking. We use Life360 which works pretty well, but seems to use more battery.

My son being a teen misses facetime. I don't think I've ever used it intentionally.

He does however love the "drag and drop" to add new songs; and that with his other Android buddies they can just swap songs back and forth.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #402
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
We moved my son from an iPhone to a Nexus 4. The only thing I miss is the "find my iPhone" tracking. We use Life360 which works pretty well, but seems to use more battery.

My son being a teen misses facetime. I don't think I've ever used it intentionally.

He does however love the "drag and drop" to add new songs; and that with his other Android buddies they can just swap songs back and forth.
We use "Find my Friends" within our family, so that would be missed a little for sure. Even just checking to see each others progress on commutes without bugging them is handy.

Skype is a good alternative for FaceTime. Although not integrated into the OS, I don't do a lot of video calling anyway. And whoever I know who uses Facetime also uses Skype.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm starting to make a mental checklist of things that I might miss by switching over, and potential alternatives.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #403
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm starting to make a mental checklist of things that I might miss by switching over, and potential alternatives.
The main thing I found going from iPhone to Android a while back, was there were many more free apps in the Android world. I would say overall, the freedom you get with Android and the choices you get, would allow you to pretty much have everything you need and more with the switch.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #404
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
The main thing I found going from iPhone to Android a while back, was there were many more free apps in the Android world. I would say overall, the freedom you get with Android and the choices you get, would allow you to pretty much have everything you need and more with the switch.
My initial thoughts are the same. My dad wanted a smart phone a while back, and I actually recommended a Nexus 5. In fiddling with his, it seems that there are more options for things like SMS apps - something that iPhone users don't get to choose. "Here's the default app - like it."

Most of the apps that I use regularly are available on both platforms anyway and with the exception of a few built-in features of Apple like photo streams and iMessage, you can pretty much find what you need from a wider selection.

Things like MightyText are kind of exciting for me. iMessage is great if you're on your mac, and someone else is on their iPhone. But being able to send text messages while on my PC (where I spend most of my day), or mac, or phone, etc. is appealing. Just one example, but there is no way that Apple would allow something like that for iMessage - except within their own ecosystem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #405
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yep. Nothing against iPhone's, I just prefer to not be painted into a corner with what I want to do on my phone. I like choice and Android, especially the Nexus line, gives you that.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #406
zedge
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is built in tracking in Android. You need to enable it in "android settings".

You can track the phone here, make it ring, wipe it, etc, also if needed.

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
zedge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zedge For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #407
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedge View Post
There is built in tracking in Android. You need to enable it in "android settings".

You can track the phone here, make it ring, wipe it, etc, also if needed.

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
That's pretty cool. Didn't even know about that. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #408
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the odds of the Nexus 6 having dual sim capabilities? Are there other Android devices that are at a similar price and specs, but with dual sims?

I was just daydreaming about traveling and how cool it would be to pop a foreign sim in there while keeping your existing number active for incoming emergency texts and calls.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #409
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
What are the odds of the Nexus 6 having dual sim capabilities? Are there other Android devices that are at a similar price and specs, but with dual sims?

I was just daydreaming about traveling and how cool it would be to pop a foreign sim in there while keeping your existing number active for incoming emergency texts and calls.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-b...phones_id32596

You usually get a lesser phone that does dual SIM but there a few good options out there and the prices, surprisingly are not that bad.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #410
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedge View Post
There is built in tracking in Android. You need to enable it in "android settings"
We had gone down that route before. On my son's Nexus 4 it was incredibly unreliable. The most memorable failure was the first time he was taking transit home from the mall by himself. (And with one buddy.) Device manager showed him on the train, then at Canyon Meadows station for a long time, then into Lake Bonavista, then off the map. (When Anderson or Sommerset to a feeder bus was the right options for him.)

Then he wasn't answering his phone (which is part of the reason I have tracking). By the time I was about to panic, the device manager showed him at his buddy's house.

Not sure if that's a Nexus 4 issue, Wind issue, or some combination of the two.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #411
zedge
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
We had gone down that route before. On my son's Nexus 4 it was incredibly unreliable. The most memorable failure was the first time he was taking transit home from the mall by himself. (And with one buddy.) Device manager showed him on the train, then at Canyon Meadows station for a long time, then into Lake Bonavista, then off the map. (When Anderson or Sommerset to a feeder bus was the right options for him.)

Then he wasn't answering his phone (which is part of the reason I have tracking). By the time I was about to panic, the device manager showed him at his buddy's house.

Not sure if that's a Nexus 4 issue, Wind issue, or some combination of the two.
Could be an gps issue with the N4. Never had any issues with my N5 or S3. But i havent used it often.
zedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #412
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just bought a Nexus 5...so far, it's pretty awesome. But I am coming from a very old flip-phone, too.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #413
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Just bought a Nexus 5...so far, it's pretty awesome. But I am coming from a very old flip-phone, too.
Congrats. The Nexus 5 is an awesome phone. I've had mine pretty much since the release and it still holds up pretty well against the flagship phones out there. Having the Android updates right away doesn't hurt either.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #414
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any updates on when the Nexus 6 is coming out and what it will be like? Price?
Scoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #415
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...s-1232946#null

Just a quick Google search. I'm sure there is more news out there.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #416
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #417
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #418
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

If you have a Nexus 5 go to the Play Movies app and you can get "Gravity" for free. The rest of us get some Shaun The Sheep bull####.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote