Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #401
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I knew before hand because I had checked the imdb to see who were the actors for which characters.. I was wondering wtf is Ramsay doing scrubbing the floors?

Then it clicked..
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #402
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing about this series is the amount of brutal killing and general disregard for life. You'd be lucky to survive the random hangings from your own army, let alone a battle!
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #403
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
One thing about this series is the amount of brutal killing and general disregard for life. You'd be lucky to survive the random hangings from your own army, let alone a battle!
I like the juxtaposition of this compared to how Theon was in Season 2. Even when he was chasing Bran and Rickon with Luwin, he remardked how this is "only a game" (paraphrased). No it's not, Reek. No it's not.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #404
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember wondering why Loras didn't get his whitecloak after the Battle of the Blackwater at the time it first showed. Now that they are intending to marry Sansa to Loras instead of Willas it makes sense that somebody will use it as a way to prevent him from doing so due to the vows. I hope they don't plan on writing out Garlan and Willas completely though. Especially Garlan, he seems bad ass.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #405
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Varys having a sorcerer in the box wasn't in the books? Perhaps the background story is of how he was castrated, but I don't recall him ever having the sorcerer.

Thanks.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #406
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I remember wondering why Loras didn't get his whitecloak after the Battle of the Blackwater at the time it first showed. Now that they are intending to marry Sansa to Loras instead of Willas it makes sense that somebody will use it as a way to prevent him from doing so due to the vows. I hope they don't plan on writing out Garlan and Willas completely though. Especially Garlan, he seems bad ass.
Meh, with how little they've shown or used the Kingsguard in the show, they could have gotten away with it still.

No surprise in cutting Willas or Garlan though. Willas isn't even seen in the books thus far and Garlan, badass as he is, is used minimally anyway.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #407
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Varys having a sorcerer in the box wasn't in the books? Perhaps the background story is of how he was castrated, but I don't recall him ever having the sorcerer.

Thanks.
I remember Varys explaining his past and how he rose up from the street to the small chamber, and I vaguely recall him losing his junk due to some black magic. But I definitely don't remember him capturing anyone.

This is where I think departing from the books would be good. Varys just disappears after Storm of Swords, so if they're planning to give him a bigger role in the TV series so we can see what happens to him after helping Tyrion escape that would be nice to see
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #408
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guys - watch out for the TV thread, getting dangerous over there.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #409
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Lol yeah, pretty aggressive. I'm just gonna start posting my "predictions" of what happens next.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #410
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I should have read this thread first I used the word Book in my latest post.

I understand the frustration from them but honestly those DVD videos on youtube were no more spoilerish than anything Hemi said. It was all background context he was giving, nothing more. Whatever though..

Also I found this on the Fire and Ice Wiki:

Quote:
During their stay in Myr, a man offered a large sum of money for Varys, an offer his master found too tempting to refuse. The man gave Varys a potion that made him powerless to move or speak, but did nothing to dull his senses as his manhood was cut off at the stem, then burnt in a brazier in a Blood Magic ritual. Varys claims to have held a hatred for all things magical ever since.[3]
Can't find any mention of him getting the sorcerer back, but I didn't look very hard.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #411
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I remember Varys explaining his past and how he rose up from the street to the small chamber, and I vaguely recall him losing his junk due to some black magic. But I definitely don't remember him capturing anyone.

This is where I think departing from the books would be good. Varys just disappears after Storm of Swords, so if they're planning to give him a bigger role in the TV series so we can see what happens to him after helping Tyrion escape that would be nice to see
I think he told the story originally in Clash of Kings as well, so they have planned ahead to keep him in the story
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #412
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it shows how good the tv show is that some of them are all ready feeling a bit of sympathy for Jaime this early, considering what he's did early on

I don't remember having it until after Tyrion left Kings Landing when reading the books
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #413
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the fact that MMF is ultra-touchy about it is largely because he was pm-ed a massive spoiler for no more reason than spite.

I can see their point - when Dany finally starts speaking Valyrian it was a big moment and someone who had read the book spoiled it.

I know most only want to help clear up what is going on, and being helpful like Hemi was can be laudable; I don't think there was any harm in what he posted. But too often things like "helping" ends up as a spoiler. Either because of too much "help" being given, or because with the differences between the book and series the release of information will be staged differently.

Hell, even in the books there are many things I would like explained.

I'm kind of curious of the series may turn out to give a few spoilers as it gets closer to the books. I can't see HBO being too pleased by the absence of Tyrion for a season. The 4th and 5th books are probably going to need to be merged for purposes of the series.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #414
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I'm kind of curious of the series may turn out to give a few spoilers as it gets closer to the books. I can't see HBO being too pleased by the absence of Tyrion for a season. The 4th and 5th books are probably going to need to be merged for purposes of the series.
I believe when GRRM starting writing book 4 it had all our POV characters in it, but it started to get too big for one novel so he had to split it into book 4 and 5. It was GRRM's choice to keep some of the POV characters entirely out of book 4, but both books occur with overlapping times. So it really shouldn't be a problem for HBO to handle it.

I'm sure the majority of the Brienne POV stuff can be compressed down to a very small air time amount (really only covering the few major plot points that come of her countryside journey with Pod).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #415
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Well the fact that MMF is ultra-touchy about it is largely because he was pm-ed a massive spoiler for no more reason than spite.

I can see their point - when Dany finally starts speaking Valyrian it was a big moment and someone who had read the book spoiled it.

I know most only want to help clear up what is going on, and being helpful like Hemi was can be laudable; I don't think there was any harm in what he posted. But too often things like "helping" ends up as a spoiler. Either because of too much "help" being given, or because with the differences between the book and series the release of information will be staged differently.

Hell, even in the books there are many things I would like explained.

I understand that it's super brutal to spoil things but I also say that you should just read the books. Either that or don't read about GoT on the internet because it's loaded with spoilers. In the end, you only have yourself to blame if you read spoilers knowing how wide the audience is of people that have read teh books.

edit: That's what I did. I watched the first season without reading the books, realized that I was experience light to heavy spoilers and took it upon myself to just read the books.

Last edited by Tinordi; 04-22-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #416
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its a reasonable request not to discuss the books in the other thread, I'm not sure why you'd take the position that just being on the Internet opens you up to spoilers. We have 2 threads on CP for just this purpose...
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #417
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
Its a reasonable request not to discuss the books in the other thread, I'm not sure why you'd take the position that just being on the Internet opens you up to spoilers. We have 2 threads on CP for just this purpose...
It's perfectly reasonable, but this is the freakin' internet. Alot of reasonable things are washed away in the shroud of anonymity and general ignorance. In the end, it's your own responsibility.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #418
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It is interesting to use the GoT thread as an experiment to see how good of a job the directors are doing translating the book to TV. From the looks of things people are on to the fact that Theon is under going a high level of mental torment as well as physical, and I have loved being able to see this from a POV that was there.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #419
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm amazed/saddened that next week is the half way point in the season. OMG this season seems to fly by.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #420
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I give up. Someone posts a question about why a scene happened the way it did, I try to be helpful and give a bit of background information being mindful of not giving any future events away, and still get snapped at for even daring to mention the word "book". It's like watching a movie you've seen before with a friend that hasn't, and they start asking questions like "Why did that happen?" or "Who is that?" and then bitch at you for giving them the answers
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming